Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chopping a 1952 ford F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66gmc, Feb 18, 2017.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Nice find, especially in the great white north! This thing has parts runner written all over it. Do you have a plan?

2. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Nice find! Wish i could find stuff like that at my local pull a part

3. brad2v

brad2v

It's like a rescue dog, saved at the 11th hour!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. partssaloon

partssaloon

The instrument cluster in a 51 is one piece. In a 52 it has two round gauges.

5. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

the one piece cluster was for 48-50, both the 51 and 52 had two gauges

Busted Knuckles likes this.
  6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Nice save!!!....right place, right time indeed!

7. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

The wife of a deceased rodder of course.

crashfarmer and Clay Belt like this.
  8. jazz1

jazz1

Looks good from here. Many lost dreams landed in local pick a part when scrap prices were higher. I got this complete from scrap yard the day it arrived. Local fellow stopped to inform me of its arrival.
    [​IMG]

9. metalman

metalman

Good save. Our pull apart won't sell complete vehicles. The just set a early 60's Econoline van body down one day while I was there. Panel, no windows, not even in the rear doors, straight and complete truck. Tried and tried they wouldn't sell it to me.
    A friend did get a rare 66 Chevy crew cab pickup out of there. Took him 2 weeks to disassemble it and buy it a few parts at time (doors one day. cab the next, ect). Had a hard time titling it after however.

1Nimrod and 66gmc like this.
  10. 52lomofo

52lomofo

its a 52 with 48-50 hood

11. 66gmc

66gmc

there was another flathead laying in the box that came with the truck. It had merc heads on it so i tore it down this morning. It has a merc crank but after seeing the inside I doubt its salvageable.
    002.jpg 003.jpg 005.jpg 004.jpg

1Nimrod and Beanscoot like this.
  12. metalman

metalman

Damn, I've torn apart some nasty flatheads before but that one is real nasty! What is that, mouse, bugs? Looks like one of the science projects I'd find growing in my frig when I was single. If that is a Merc crank I think I'd still try to dig it out of there just to see if it's savable. Heck, maybe the block is still good as well with a good vat, any visible cracks?

Clay Belt and 66gmc like this.
  13. 66gmc

66gmc

It appears to be mice or some other type of critter. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be that bad inside, there was still lots of paint on the outside and no heavy surface rust. I cant see any visible cracks, but 2 of the cylinders have a lot of surface rust. I have a useable block already. If nothing else I will paint it up and make it into a coffee table or use it for garage art.
    Seeing as I already wasted half the day on it I am going back to attempt to extract the crank. Might as well finish what i started.

kiwijeff and 1Nimrod like this.
  14. Wow! Looks like an ant farm. I'd drop the entire long block into my blue plastic 55 gallon barrel with lots of molasses. The pistons and cam/crank bearings will eat the molasses so it may take a few applications but it'll come apart eventually.

kiwijeff and idtoy like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sunshine in a sea of darkness. Nice save.

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I know this is the NEW hamb and all ....BUT , you could throw a jag front under that thing EZ and the cool steering box , front brakes and old ford wheels and shock mounts could go to a better home... Like your roadster... Win win

17. Flatblack 31

Flatblack 31

Clay Belt likes this.
  18. 66gmc

66gmc

Would vinegar be to aggressive for de rusting the engine? The bottom end looks like it came off the titanic

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. 66gmc

66gmc

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Is this even worth messing with? I know nothing about engines

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, 1Nimrod and Clay Belt like this.
  20. Depending on the state or locality, many salvage yards are prohibited from selling complete vehicles. It would have been a shame for that truck to get scrapped or parted out. I like the '48-'50 hood better than the correct one. Like all of the F1 pickups. I prefer the '51-52 dash to the '48-'50 both from a styling standpoint and also the '51-'52 gauges are easier to read especially at night.

21. Pete

Pete

On my good god!!!!!!!! I've never seen so much stuff inside of an engine,,,,,,WOW

22. Pete

Pete

Oh... I want the truck

23. jazz1

jazz1

Vinegar eats cast. I tested with a brake drum

66gmc likes this.
  24. 66gmc

66gmc

good to know, I guess I will have to stock up on molasses!

Clay Belt likes this.
  25. That crank looks saveable. I wouldn't bother de rusting it...the crank is the only thing of any value. Cut the rods with a torch if needed to get it out.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great save! I'd go through the mechanicals and drive it just as it sits-at least until the guy who scrapped it walks up to you one day and says "hey, that looks just like a truck I sent to the junk yard about a year ago". While his mind is blown, you can invite yourself over to his property to see what other "worthless" vehicles and parts he'd like to sell you at scrap value prices.

27. nice save.....I've NEVER been able to get a Pic-N-Pull down here let me get away with one....it's the shit's....one big block Chev vehicle went thru the auction as a "salvage only"....that's how they ended up with it....but constant begging....got the motor and it's in my truck now.

1Nimrod and Clay Belt like this.
  28. Yep a good electrolysis bath might make it easier to take apart. If the pistons are aluminum they will be eaten away.

29. jazz1

jazz1

Some pick a parts got to be sticklers about removing complete vehicle. Had to pull a head on one to assure them the vehicle was totally inoperaable. Here a complete vehicle can be purchased although there will be no title, a couple more steps and you can have a title the same day.

30. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.