Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creepy photo. Caption said ghost in the car.
    [​IMG]

loudbang, robber and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Mart

Mart

Thanks, bomb. fixed it. Just a misplaced bracket.

Bomb likes this.
  3. Ah, nothing like an open bodied roadster, tooling down the road with the wind in your face....

4. Ringworm

Ringworm

Posted earlier but brings back great memories, Thanks.

[​IMG]

kbgreen and loudbang like this.
  5. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

The Steers racer is a Glasspar G2, not a Victress.

loudbang likes this.
  6. njlou

njlou
    from new jersey

love the silver pitcher ....well done!!

loudbang likes this.
  7. joemac05

joemac05

I wonder where this is today, I just love it, hope it survived.

RedlandMaggie and Lunatic like this.
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Mart.I think that the car in post number 123805(20th pic down)is Ed Topperwine(?spelling) who was an exhibition shooter for Winchester in the 50`s and 60`s

Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  9. Mart

Mart

10. Here's the rest of the story and where to start a search for it. Damn beautiful and very well done. I love the thing too, someone should recreate it!

When putting together a book it's hard to decide what goes in, and what doesn't fit. In the section "Dealers and Shops" of Riding Bike there's a photo of an interesting looking pickup owned by a Portland motorcycle shop called "American-British Cycle." Here's part of the story behind that truck that didn't fit in the book.
    [​IMG]
    "This was a pickup truck made from a car. This car was built years before Ford built the Ranchero and Chevrolet brought out the el Camino. Jack Warner and Fuzzy Ball had a shop called American British Motorcycles and they originally wanted a truck that was useful to haul motorcycles. "

"Rudy Rehbein was a body man from Estacada. They wanted him to make a flatbed with a piece of plywood behind the driver’s area. He said 'No.' If he was going to do it he was going to make it nicer.
    He used the Cadillac sheet metal and blended in the back of a '51 Chevy pickup cab and then they had Cadillac rear fenders on there. I don’t remember if it had a tailgate but it would carry three motorcycles."

"The car was so well done it won the Custom car class in the 1952 New Car Dealers Expo show and it was featured in Rod & Custom magazine."

"The American British Motorcycles shop lasted about a year and then the pickup was sold down to California to a motorcycle club."

"I (Drake) wrote an article about it for Old Cars Weekly, and I heard from a friend that Cliff Majhor, the Sandy Bandit, said I had everything wrong. So I called him up to set the record straight. I had said that there were three bullet holes in the back of the cab when the police shot at it. He corrected me and said there were four."

gas pumper, Bomb, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  11. rudestude

rudestude

Just gotta love them Dirt car's when the drivers let em hang.....[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. rudestude

rudestude

Damn ... I was going to call on this one but I'm sure it's probably already sold.....[​IMG]

Bomb, loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and 6 others like this.
  13. Mikel50

Mikel50

Nowadays, you give your address to a potential buyer and it's gone that night...with no money changing hands.
    Sad all the things the time has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. old flopper

old flopper

OK guys/girls, what is that yellow car?

loudbang likes this.
  15. thunderplex

thunderplex

16. jroberts

jroberts

This Packard was on display at the North Carolina Museum of Art during their display of Art Deco Cars of the 1930s and 40s. It was a great display by the way.

[​IMG]

Bomb, willy1947, The37Kid and 5 others like this.
  17. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

18. old flopper

old flopper

OK Thanks, guess I just couldn’t remember seeing that particular Nash… which is what I assume you meant by Rambler.
    Edit: I do know AMC took over the Nash name, so I guess this could have been when they were only called Ramble. Just so you don’t have to correct me if this is the case. Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  19. We've been talking about Farrell's on Facebook, so I thought I'd post this here ~
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS, Bomb, ct1932ford and 3 others like this.
  20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

OK, I admit to not getting out much, but isn't Farrells a franchise outfit? I don't know why that sticks in my head, but I think there was a Farrells in Bozeman , MT at one time. Are there others?

hendelec likes this.
  21. rudestude

rudestude

It appears to be 59 Rambler Six Custom 4 door Sedan, 6 cylinders. Rebel if V-8... I had a 59 Rambler Six Cross-country wagon.... Totalled it out one night with putting a dent in the body , how, well I was backing out of field in a industrial area of town had my head hanging out the window trying to see where to got, going a little fast,and then crunch car comes to a sudden stop slammed my face into the door jam car dies there is steam coming out of the front end ,had 3 friends in the car we get out walk around the car there is nothing behind the car go to the front the radiator is sticking outward threw the grill figured we backed into a UFO....Well it was a man hole that was sticking out of the ground just enough to catch the rear end shoving it and the a inclosed drive line into the transmission breaking the bell housing putting the engine into the radiator into the grill and sticking it out the front ....Wow...Called the local wrecking yard told the owner, a friend, he could have the car and the title was in the glove box I grabbed the owners manual and the case of whiskey , put one in the glove box for the tow, and hit the road we all made it to a friends and proceeded to start drinking the whiskey....[​IMG]

old flopper, Bomb, willy1947 and 3 others like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Was given a birthday party at the Beaverton Farrells about 1968, IIRC, it was what they called the "Portland Zoo". Anybody remember those, I think it was basically all the flavors in this big centerpiece with whipped cream, nuts, maybe even bananas.
    The whole party got to share, pretty neat at the time.

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat Pattee, (KISN Radio) used to spin the hits at Farrells in Raleigh Hills, on the weekends back in the 70's.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

RUDYARD KIPLING 1420 Beach Drive, Oak Bay. Building was named after Rudyard Kipling a famous poet and author who visited Victoria in 1889,1892,and 1907. He wrote a poem about a "night out" with the proprietor of the hotel in 1907. It was called the Oak Bay Hotel in those days.:)

loudbang likes this.
  25. pontman

pontman

So many don't know about this here in Seattle. People always talk about the Denny regrade with no idea what was done.

kbgreen, Bomb and loudbang like this.
  26. TheDevilsRide

TheDevilsRide

27. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

Les Blows Motorcycle Shop. Victoria B.C. Canada. 1947 Les Blows Motorcycles 1947.jpg

Trojan Horse, NHRANUT, Bleach and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.