Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical wheel seals for ford shoebox disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmpontiac, Feb 12, 2017.

1. I have a customer's '51 Ford sedan in the shop today that has an aftermarket disc brake kit on it - unfortunately neither the owner or I can get any information on this car as it was bought from a consignment site that hasn't been particularly responsive to our attempts to reach the builder. I pulled the front wheels because it seemed to have a little leak in the wheel seal and found the inner seal had a big ding in it but there's no numbers anywhere on the seal and I don't know what rotor this is so I wondered if anybody here might recognize the brake setup and know what seal it uses. The rotor has 5 notches in it between the studs (5 on 4 1/2") that I thought might be a way to ID them - the seal seems to be 2.5" OD and 1.688" ID and has a sort of rounded lip at the top. DSCN2013.JPG DSCN2013.JPG DSCN2015.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

I believe that is a kit made by ECI Brakes. You might check with them

3. Steve More

Steve More

If the rotor has a ford bolt pattern they should be Aerostar rotors

4. Yes, the ECI kit (several other places repackage the same kit) uses 86-92 Aerostar rotors.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. The Shoebox Central guys sent me an e-mail saying the seals are SKF 16871 - NAPA number is the same. It's actually a trans seal.