Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Building 66 Nova to Race with the Southeast Gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Panos, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Mark Panos

Mark Panos

Greetings All. About a year ago I came across a video on Competition Plus showing something called the Southeast Gassers. I watched it over and over, then started searching You Tube for more videos and OD'd in about 3 days. I sent an email to some cat named Quain and told him he was just killing me as I LOVED the days of manually-shifted 4-speeds and honest wheels up launches. Imagine my surprise when he wrote back and said he remembered me from the old Pro Stock days when I raced a Hemi Colt! At best, I was a B-player, but he must have seen me the few times I was at Shuffletown when I was living in Hudson and Clyde Hodges let me base out of his chassis shop. Well, I haven't been interested in drag racing much since bracket racing took over.

The more I thought about it, and knowing that my wife and I are going to move to South Carolina in less than 2 years, I began to wonder if maybe I wanted to build a car and go racing with these crazy people. My wife is a great sport, too, and has even driven Super Gas cars and even raced some sand drags with VW-powered stuff in the 80's and 90's. Well, after about 3 months of torturing myself, I realized I just could not afford to wait until I get to SC to start a car. It took some persuading on my part with the wife, but she finally bought in and we decided to build a 1966 Nova, her favorite 60's muscle car. So, I'll try to keep posting pictures as we go along. Our goal is ta have the chassis and roll cage with body and suspension on by the end of summer. Maybe no interior, and likely not the drivetrain, but at least enough so it can be rolled around and onto a trailer, if needed.

So here are some pictures of our progress.

Attached Files:

AHotRod and jim snow like this.
  2. Mark,you might want to slip back to the INTRODUCTION forum page and READ the rules for the HAMB,,,We love old cars here ,specializing on cars older than 1965,Traditional cars,we love new members reading about our passion. I;m sure you are building a super race car however it is what we call (off topic) for the HAMB.

3. Welcome to the hamb,I love the gassers and Quain is the man!

Since the hamb is a pre 65 site from here on out your Nova is to be refereed to as a 65.:D HRP

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Welcome to the HAMB Mark !
    The Southeast Gassers RULE !
    I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting to follow along with the build of your Chevy II for the drags. There are several cars that have been built on here for the SEGA.
    As soon as Quain and the others find this thread, they will start popping in too.

High RPM !
    4 Speeds !
    Dry Hops !
    As real as it gets.....

(Mark, select LARGE picture when uploading your pictures)

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Ya'll know there's a vendor out there repopping entire 66-67 Chevrolet Nova's? Just to keep everyone happy, refer to your car as a "gasser", without mentioning the actual year. A lot of us like the early Nova's and Chevy II's. Welcome aboard, and fasten your seat belt! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. This is a bone of contention for me.

I'm all for strict and policed rules, but with all this gasser stuff, Chevy II's and this guy's 66 Nova get a pass. Falcons get a pass. 64,5,6 Mustangs DON'T get a pass. WTF?

I don't want Mustangs here anyway, but if the thing is a unibody distinction, well Falcons are unibody and so are ChevyII's and Novas. And Mustangs are just glorified Falcons anyway.

Rules need to be consistent. Personally, I wouldn't have any of them in.

7. Are we related?
    -Mike Panos

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Welcome
    Hey Mark, another Nova guy here, I try to keep a low profile here with my 67 but when I just can't stand not gett'n a little love I'll call it a 65. It always gets some yayhoo trying to tell me it's a 67, Cripes!
    Please no cards and letters.

Mark, curious, is your "65" a hardtop or a sedan, dig both.

9. Guys,The reason I posted what I did was mainly the tubing frame,,The car only has a body,nothing else is the same,,most of the other gassers on here are using the stock frames,,,Sorry if I spoke out of school. but read what Ryan says about that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017