Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Buick "Pearl" a factory custom. My first chop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

Small update. I have decided to back pedal a little. Sucks but I want the car to be perfect. After shaving the firewall and body working the firewall I discovered a little more rust in the trunk and passenger rocker so I stripped everything off the car and it's going to get blasted this following week. Then I will seal it and continue body mods and body work. Also I got my crank set in the motor and the crank drilled and tapped for the Trans adapter.

LONG likes this.
  3. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Got the body and doors loaded up heading to get blasted in the morning!

dana barlow, Studebakermatt and LONG like this.
  4. telekenfun

telekenfun

Here is something to think about at this stage: Tapping the block for full flow oil filter. It is a very simple job of drilling into vertical oil gallery in two places just below the distributor. These are tapped with 3/8" or 1/2" pipe and an 1/8" tap half way between them for the set screw to lock a short plug that is pushed up between the taps. This plug then diverts oil from the pump out to a spin on filter via a "Fram" adapter that is bolted to the pan rail. Result, clean oil and no chunks or grit getting in your bearings just like a modern engine. The adapter is in every speed merchant catalog.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

saltflats likes this.
  5. LONG

LONG

I'
    I'm gonna have to look into this.

6. I have been curious if anybody has done this. I thought about doing a remote oil filter so I could hide it. Have you ever successfully done this? Pics? Thanks for the ideas and knowledge!

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

Here is a pic of the one on our 263. It is bolted to the pan rail on the right side of the engine just below the distributor. DSCN2259.JPG DSCN2259.JPG DSCN2255.JPG DSCN2255.JPG

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  8. LONG

LONG

9. telekenfun

telekenfun

Everything is the same except for a "detour" out to the filter and back in to the same vertical section of the oil gallery coming directly from the oil pump. To make the plug that goes between the two tapped holes, I used a grade 5 bolt. I turned it down in my lathe to exact size of the vertical gallery diameter. That gallery is a machine bored hole that the oil pump mates to feed oil to the engine. I then cut the plug to be just shorter than the distance between the 3/8" NPT tapped holes. Next, with the engine on it's side, I carefully pushed the plug into position, stuck the nipple of a red Loctite tube into the set screw hole and gave it good squeeze. This injected Loctite around the plug and filled the threads of the set screw. I then inserted and tightened a case hardened set screw to secure the plug from ever coming loose or shifting.
    After the drilling and tapping process be sure to blow out with high pressure air and a gun cleaning brush all the oil lines in the block. This should including removing the plugs on both ends of the main gallery and it's 4 cross gallery plugs. These 4 oil line feed oil to the crank and cam bearings. These 4 lines are where the old motor's crud is lurking to spoil a new set of bearings.Even one that has already been hot tanked. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Don't reduce the orifice size that feeds oil to the rocker shaft. The rocker shaft need as much oil pressure as can be gotten, oil should be push through shaft rocker holes and through the rocker, through it's adjuster and down the push rod to feed both hydraulic or solid lifters.
    Hope this info can be useful.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

10. Great idea I'm totally going to do this!

11. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].

Well got her back from the blaster! Not many surprises I knew the floors were bad. Little surprise sent on the passenger side and the last pic shows rust under the rear window crank. Really weird spot. Picked up a sheet of 18g yesterday time to get busy!

hacknwhack and LONG like this.
  12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Good for you! Get at it!

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  13. Ain't nothin to it but to do it!

bengeltiger and Peanut 1959 like this.
  14. Small update but an update none the less. Been busy with work and my attention has been a little more on my 36. But I got it all sprayed in sealer time to finish up the floor and other body mods. [​IMG]

15. committed

committed

Just found this thread and saw the amazing work you did on your Buick. Love it!
    Any updates??? I know you've been busy on the '36, but I'm just curious on the progress.

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  16. None yet! I moved in march and I'm in the process of building a garage but the weather hasn't been on my side, no progress until the garage is finished unfortunately!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow, LONG and hacknwhack like this.
  17. igorsgonemadd

igorsgonemadd

Awesome build man!

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

This is a cool build... I like the chop and your choice of engine paint.