Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Torquing T-Bird

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by djtwigsta, Feb 2, 2017.

1. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

2. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

3. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

4. Let me just say "don't you know about the bird?,well everybody knows that the bird is the word!"

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. And thats a nice little bird.....word.

6. That ought to get the restorer bunch in an uproar. Nice job!

Speedwrench and RMONTY like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool pics & car

8. AZbent

AZbent

That's cool.

9. Cool car..... but not what I'd call a custom.

10. BJR

BJR

So is that a 472 Cad motor in there? Or something else?

djtwigsta likes this.
  11. Not a Gasser either - T-Birds ran in M/SP!

12. It's a look. One that is the current fad. What it is not, is a gasser.

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Wondering why you'd put an A/G classification on it, when it would not have run in that?

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have been participating in another forum lately, and haven't been on here much. Turned up on here today to buy some parts, took a quick look around. Its so refreshing to get a good dose of the HAMB. Fake gassers, "traditional" dodge pilot house and IH pick-ups, and uniformed dipshits blabbing horse shit about Bonners falcon having a straight axle...:rolleyes:
    Who loves ya baby, don't go changin'...:p:rolleyes:

hotroddon likes this.
  15. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back at ya!

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have seen this car in a recent magazine write up and know that it has a 1968 vintage Cadillac motor with a turbo 400 and a Ford 9”. The owner is probably having a bit of fun with the car no matter what we on a forum think about it. If it was my car I would probably go with black walls and different front wheels but it is his dime. I am sure if he studied my cars he could probably have a list of criticisms as well. I would hope that his vision was to rejuvenate an old survivor that had been run earlier with a 406 FE that came apart and was parked with it’s old whitewalls and found a “new” Cad motor that he shoehorned in the engine compartment.

I do understand the sentiment of the newer faux gasser craze (and those that question it) wherein you get a moon tank, a straight axle and nosebleed stance and you are now a member of the gasser club. Some of the examples are questionable to say the least and there are times that I shake my head in amazement but it was a cool era and guys today want a taste of it so no real harm in most instances. There are plenty of us that know better but I guess it is their dime and their car.

Let me ask a question though, if this is not a gasser (and I agree A/G is not proper) and it showed up at the local NHRA drag strip in 1968 or 1969 with the recently rescued Cad motor and in its present form and function what class that it would be placed? Knowing that the weight is somewhere close to stock and I am not asking how competitive it would be but what class specifically. Anyone?

mike bowling likes this.
  17. It would be classified in MSP (Modified Sports) guessing on weight to 500" it would be A/MSP

18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...this is definitely a hot rod and not a custom.

jimdillon, thank you for your measured and well spoken post. It is very much appreciated.

19. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Copper brake lines ????? not to safe.

john walker likes this.
  20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Don there was no MSP after 1967. Other than the front axle it could have gone in MP (no straight axles in MP) but only one class left which I believe was the same as your Anglia-B/G. Bill Coon ran his 57 Bird in MSP for years (even out in your neck of the woods in 67) with his 406 (early on) then his 427 side oiler then his 427 SOHC. In 68 they put him in B/G as well and I watched him run many times in B/G. One time he showed up at a buddy's garage a few years ago and told us how he never lost. I kept my mouth shut but knew that the 57 Vette Prontito took him to task more than a couple of times when Prontito was moved out of MSP in B/G as well.

21. brady1929

brady1929

Great pics, cool car.

22. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Yes that would be correct :)

23. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

New England classes had it placed in the A/G...

24. john walker

john walker

My thoughts exactly.

25. djtwigsta

djtwigsta

Umm copper coated lines are quite common...

26. Since you're both quick to assume they're copper brake lines, I'll be quick to assume they're cuneiform brake lines, which are perfectly safe.

djtwigsta likes this.
  27. That is True - but since the HAMB is pre 65 that's kind of what I was referencing :)

And with No Roll bar, this car would never have raced in ANY class!!!

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. What's that?

hotroddon likes this.