Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Never thought I'd get a true barn find, My new 88yr old Friend.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wurger, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Wow, great find, thanks so much for sharing!!

Wurger likes this.
  2. Wurger likes this.
  3. What a find !
    The '29mHudson was 4 grand, but the smile on your face says its a million dollar find!

Wurger likes this.
  4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, what is all of that wiring at the base of the steering gear?

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Just incredible! I've never been a restoration guy but I would become one real fast if I found such an unusual car that nice. The details, just beautiful, even the exhaust manifold? has style! Way to go man!

clem, Wurger and C. John Stutzer like this.
  6. RR

RR

What a beautiful car. I hope you keep it stock- that car is too original not too.

clem, Surfcityrocker and Wurger like this.
  7. gatz

gatz

Although the google link says Hudson Terraplane, the title page of this pdf shows "Hudson Super Six"

http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1929/1929HudsonTechHandbook.pdf

Take a look at page 15, there's a short paragraph about a "Clum" lighting switch.

@ Wulger, the Technical Handbook should give you a lot of info for your dang nice car.

kiwijeff and Wurger like this.
  8. Here's a pic of my Dad in a new, I presume 1927.
    hudson2.jpg

9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

If only a time machine was possible.... Can you imagine how it must of felt to see the way the motorcar evolved up until the 1970's? To be able to see and drive these cars when they were new, and with the lack of roadways and such to drive them on. I really wish that I could have that experience.

What some say is "roughing it" is my favorite thing to do. I am an callused beat up guy with grease embedded in my skin. I don't need any pampering or modern technology to enjoy the journey.....

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Wurger likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In the early 60's I walked by an old car sitting in a carport on my walk to grade school.
    I'm thinking it had to have been the first old car to get my attention. Of course, I didn't know what it was and the neighborhood kids always said the old man that lived there was a "mean old man" so never had the guts to get close enough to see an emblem.
    One day I saw him near the car so I got up the nerve to ask him what it was and to my surprise he invited me up for a closer look, it was an Essex Super Six sedan.
    He actually was a pretty nice old guy.
    Always remembered that cars' name, especially after I got old enough to know the meaning of the word sex, funny how us guys think huh.

kiwijeff, Surfcityrocker and Wurger like this.
  11. Keep it looking stock, but put a 7-X 308 in it :)

6-bangertim likes this.
  12. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hudson was #3 manufacturer in 29 behind Ford and Chevy. You don't see many dual sidemount,wire wheel cars among the 29's as those were options. Please share your project on the Hudson Essex Terraplane club on fb. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=hudson essex terraplane club One of my projects is a 30 Essex coupe in much the same shape as yours. Congratulations![​IMG]

biggeorge, kiwijeff and Wurger like this.
  13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s a find of a lifetime! Such a classy car and in such a great shape.I can clearly see it in mile deep black paint, a little lowered,clssy stock looking interior, the sixxer nicely detailed and a little hopped up, with a selection of polished carbs poking out the missing hood side. The hood top would have to stay to keep the lines flowing. Then drive it all over to the car shows and park next to all the A´s and 32s , just to make them look cheap. Hahahaha

Wurger likes this.
  14. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of this restoration talk is cute, but not in keeping with the board. Something that elegant needs to be shiny and clean. I could see it being tastefully modified with a bit of a rake, lowered front and rear axles with modern brakes, modern wiring, chopped a couple inches only, and a modern-ish inline six power plant ie: Ford 300, Toyota F, Chevy 250. If you are going to make a cherry pie, you gotta start with cherries.

P.S. wheels, solids with caps, www.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    kiwijeff likes this.
  15. In 29, Hudson was the third biggest auto maker, behind Ford and Chevrolet, selling over 300 000 cars, so not so much of an orphan make that year.
    The depression kicked Hudson's ass, and they never recovered, struggling along untill their demise in the late fifties.

Wurger likes this.
  16. Wurger

Wurger

Thank you Sir for the heads up, I'll jump on the forum for sure and introduce myself. I'll be picking your brain from step A through Z with this project for sure!

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. I'll help with anything I can, although there's a guy up the road aways, who is the Hudson guru, and he's on the Hudson forum, Geoff Clark.

I'll post up a pic of the dash on my 28 after I have my breakfast, and a couple of the engine.
    There's not a lot of difference between the 28 and 29 engines, and the oil and water pumps, being brass and copper, polish up real nice.

As El Caballo says, this is a Hot Rod forum, so to keep the thread on track, Hudson was also big on racing, and some of the early history on their achievements, or individuals using Hudson's, is very cool.

Wurger likes this.
  18. Wurger

Wurger

Thanks! I'm not sure if they are manual or not just yet, however they do move in some form or fashion though :)

19. Wurger

Wurger

Some time before the Korean War is what he had mentioned :)

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Great find. One question however, looking at the hood on the driver's side it appears the the louvers open forwards which is opposite to to most others. So did someone put the hood sides on backwards, stock, or do I need new glasses?

Wurger likes this.
  21. Wurger

Wurger

Unfortunately I was unable to find a section on the H.A.M.B for project "stockers" but I couldn't help but share, thanks for your input but I think this car has to stay as you said "Cute" :). ( Didn't intentionally mean to mess up the board)

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  22. Wurger

Wurger

That is one of the things I first noticed as well LOL! apparently that is just the way they came :).

23. Here's a couple of engine pics, from my 28.
    Hudson was the first automaker, to use a balanced crankshaft.
    The old timers say you can balance a coin on its edge, on the rocker cover.
    This engine is an F head.
    I haven't polished the oil pump in awhile, or the water pump, but gave that a quick wipe over for the pic.
    IMG_20170209_091851.jpg IMG_20170209_091902.jpg

Here's a pic of the brake shoes.
    Anyone see three shoes before?
    IMG_20170209_092028.jpg

indestructableforce likes this.
  24. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nah man, it's all good. You are welcome as can be.

25. He shoots,He Scores! Great find, looks like you're going to have a great build ahead of you. Once again great find.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I am a hot rodder, custom car owner and project affecionado. But every now and then you come across something that has such pedigree you just don't mess with it. Yours is one of those.
    In my opinion, do the mechanicals, make it safe and drive it.
    It's only original once.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ya done good plus, you can brag about owning a 3 window

28. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yes, a stock restoration will be AWESOME! Good Luck and for sure let us follow the restoration.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Speaking of hot rods, I'm generally from the school of "more is better" but this is a whole different animal.
    This car could easily fit in the hot rod genre with some tasteful parts selection and "bolt-ons" but as they say in the medical profession "do no harm".