Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Has anyone ever put a Ford engine in a Chev?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Feb 5, 2017.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK. Now we know that a Ford in a Chevy isn't totally unheard of. What about a Packard in a Chevy? I did.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Brent the Ford freak! likes this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Montana1 likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I seem to recall Tom Senter telling this story where he comes out of a parts place, and theres a guy in the parking lot working on a '57 Plymouth with a flathead in it. When he asks the guy why he put a flathead in a '57 Plymouth, he says "cause I blew up the olds.", I suspect that story is apocryphal.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

5. A guy I knew up in Coldwater, MI. that had a mid-thirties Chevy pick-up with a SBF in it. I asked him why and he said that was what he had. It was a really nice truck.

6. There was an article in one of the popular mechanics type magazines back in the '50's or 60's about a guy that put a Briggs and Stratton motor in a Buick roadmaster and actually drove the thing.

7. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

This just came up on my Facebook feed.
    [​IMG]

8. Without reading all of the 100 posts here, the conversation has gone off base, talking about any engine swap known to man..
    The question, or title "has anyone put a Ford engine in a Chevy" has brought out the Ford guys, defending their Ford engines.
    Fine, Ford engines are great.
    Why then are there so many Chevy engines in the chopped, channeled Ford Hot Rods that I see at all the car shows, instead of the Ford engines ?o_O

9. Yamaha970

Yamaha970

It's a 28 Chevy roadster..I put a Mercury flathead in it.Its pretty much the same as a Ford flathead.i am one of the lucky few that doesn't care if it's a Ford,Chevy,Dodge,AMC,Chrysler,it's all just iron to me. good old fun iron.if there is a car and a running engine in sight it going in..Hope you don't hate on it. IMG_20170204_155515737.jpg by

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Been threatening to drop a Ford motor in my 37 Chevy p//u for years but too busy working on other projects to do it and the rattling 235 has not blown up yet,it will get a Y block or a 302 and a 300 is not out of the question if its not too long.

11. RmK57

RmK57

Because the chev engines are damn near free.

12. When I was a teenager discovering Hot Rods, I looked up "Hot Rod" in the dictionary.
    It said a Hot Rod, was an old car, with a bigger engine, than it came from the factory with.
    It didn't state anything about same brand, and when I started hanging with the local Hot rodders, the most common swap, was a Chevy.

So years later, when I joined the club, I was surprised to meet a member, who was building a 34 Chev, with a small block Ford.

I was a little thrown at first, but soon figured, why not. After all, there's no rules here.

Since then, I've heard of several Chevys, that are Ford powered.
    No big deal for me. Hot Rods are a mongrelisation of many different parts.
    I'm not one for same brand stuff.
    Never considered that to be hot rodding.
    Funny how no one would bat an eyelid if a Chevy had an Olds, or a Nailhead, or even a Caddy.

13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Hmm, guess my ears were burning. It's actually my father in laws ride. This is what happens when a life long Ford guy buys his first Chevy at 75. Actually this is the compromise. He wanted to put a Ford small block or (ugh) a 5.0. I had a couple flathead motors laying around for another project. He's an old flathead guy from back in the 50's so he jumped on it.

Hopefully it'll be on the road in the next 2-3 mos.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Surely this is not a serious question?

falcongeorge and LOST ANGEL like this.
  15. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

16. Not a good reason, if the Chevy engine is a boat anchor, down the road, eh?

17. As serious as can be ... if I owned a Ford, and I don't, I would want to keep it Ford ..... but that's not the way it is, is it ?

18. 34 chev 5 window 1961 390 ford , top loader ,9 inch

untitled.png

19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I would love to have one of them Galaxie 7 liter (428?) with a manual in a Chevy AD truck or a Cammer in a POS vega. And I would love to try a Ford 300 six shooter in a pre-war body.

But it's not an secret I'm weird.

aussie57wag and Zerk like this.
  20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

For every SBC or LS or Brand X motor stuffed into the engine bay of some other make or model, remember that the chances are damn good that the little mouse motor puts its power to the ground through a FORD 9" rear end.

I.E. for every Corvette that is sitting in the junk yard with its nose high in the air since it donated it's engine to a '32 Ford, there is a full size Ford sitting with it's ass in the mud!!!

aussie57wag and volvobrynk like this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Because "Monkey see, Monkey do".
    There is good ford Engines out there, but even the best ones ain't as cheap as an SBC!!
    I like SBC, I don't love them.

And if a 428 or 427 is good enough for Gene cromer, it has to be good enough for most people!
    If he can get it in a 66 mustang, that big engine will fit in a 54 or tri-five Chevy.

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As I wrote to volvobrynk, I had about $1100 in a free 460 in my Bonneville Vega. It went 197 and would have gone a lot faster I think if I had stuck with it. 460 is a strong engine and 197 for $1100 aint bad.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  23. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Actually Gene ran a FE in a '55 Chevy for a while back in the day.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

Can't say as I have ever seen a Corvette in a junk yard around here.

25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

[​IMG]
    That sounds awesome, tow/push car or racecar?

[​IMG]

I just found this, does this count?

26. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I've jus read it after my post, and before yours, and it comes as no surprise to me that gene would do that.

But I would love me some pics!

28. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

One can buy the necessary parts to make a SBC engine ""look like'''' a Ford flathead appealing valve covers....not sure about the visual correctness!...but hey, somebody might want a ''pseudo-flathead'' at some point of make believe:confused:............O'Briens offers these for $650.....yes, you too can have a Flathead in your Chevrolet I dare say without all the fuss.....might be the only car with a pseudo-Ford on the block too!:D 8ea92c552c96f7976647ba740f941270.jpg

29. Didn't think of that, but you're correct. :cool:

30. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

After seeing so many different makes of cars with small block chevies in them, I respect anyone who does something different. There is a really nice 56 Chevrolet here in San Diego with a Gen II Hemi in it. Really nicely done too. I even seen a nice shoebox chevy at Good Guys with a 351 Ford in it. I congratulated the guy for doing a nice job and loved to watch the guys who were getting disgusted over it. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app