Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best tool box, rolling cabinet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927graham, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Upgrading my home shop, need another tool cabinet, what's the best rolling tool cabinet, need at least 60" tall x 27" wide x 18" deep, black or charcoal in color, looking for quality. What's being used/recommended by my HAMB friends?

2. long island vic

long island vic

for a home shop theres nothing wrong with lowes or home depot... about a grand top and bottom. no need to go 5,,,6 grand for pro names,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also watch craights list ,,,,theres some good deals there

loudbang likes this.
  3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

On the garage journal the Harbor Fright toolboxes actually get rave reviews, even better than the Home Depot/ lowes/sears boxes at lower prices to boot.

4. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

All the HF casters I have looked at are too small for what they are under, and kind of crappy too boot. Loose swivels, and tons of axial play. Even on a decently smooth garage floor that can be trouble. Combine with a small foot print and a tall box, and things get scary.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have the big black one from Home Depot. Top and bottom. Works good rolls easy, even full.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

1927graham likes this.
  7. look for a Lyon or Stanley high density storage cabinet, I scored one at a work auction of used equipment. It's only 38" tall, 28" square and 5 drawers of various depths but damn does it hold a bunch of tools. They pop up on craigslist frequently enough and aren't unreasonable brand new for what you get. Mine has drawers rated for 400 lbs each. Also the drawers are interlocked so only one can open at a time, which is for safety because you don't want one of these things tipping over on you, they are heavy as hell. They come in all sorts of configurations too, some are taller than i am and have 20+ drawers.

loudbang likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have any tool trucks that run around....if so track one down and see what they have in used boxes.

9. After getting tired of crappy quality stuff, I now have one Matco and two Snap On, all bought used at great prices.

das858, Finn Jensen and loudbang like this.
  10. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

mine came from sams club it really wasnt meant to be a tool box. it has a heavy wooden top is 2ftx5ft and is all stainless .has huge rollers 4 large bins and 6 tray like drawers and a larrge door with 2 shelves in the middle handels on both ends cost 400 dollars . it is really neat

pappatyrone likes this.
  11. flatford39

flatford39

Look for used snap on. Mine are from the early 60's and work great. All my mobile boxes are snap on and my stationary ones are Craftsman. The quality between the two is unbeliavable.

12. Blake 27

Blake 27

15621767_180405889094543_7370881846079859208_n.jpg
    Here's a good one

mgtstumpy, jazz1, Chavezk21 and 5 others like this.
  13. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Check out the tool boxes at Menards, my son has 3 of them and is very happy with the price and the quality!
    KK

14. Nezzy51

Nezzy51

15. Latigo

Latigo

Love the black Chevy box. Now that is a righteous tool box,

1927graham likes this.
  16. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Lets be honest. Do you plan on moving that tool box around all the time? Do you plan on moving it every 3 weeks. IF not the harbor freight ones will be great. I have 3 of their red roll carts and only 1 has issues which is due to someone spilling a car battery in the bottom and it eating up the casters. I also have the tool box that runs around 300 dollars and it does its job well. So if you are on a budget the harbor freight ones are the way to go in my opinion.

cptn60 and Nezzy51 like this.
  17. greybeard360

greybeard360

The Kobalt boxes at Home Depot come off the same line as the Mac economizer boxes. I had my Macs for 20 years and they still looked great after using them every day. One thing to watch out for... If you get ones with ball bearing drawerglides, make sure the box isn't sitting where it is leaned forward any. The drawers can actually slide open on their own. If about half of them do.... The box will fall forward. Simple way to prevent this is to put a stirring stick under the front wheels and then lock the casters.

Sent from my LG-H343 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and 1927graham like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess i'm not into having a stylish garage with matching color coded tool boxes. I'd be looking for one that was the right size, had drawers that held what I planed to put in it, was made of heavy enough metal that it didn't flex or the drawers didn't flex under normal loads and had rollers on the drawer slides. My 40 something year old Snap On does all but the last. It still has the slides without rollers and it is a pain at times. Craftsman did have a line of charcoal colored boxes mainly for guys who are machinists. I still have my son's tucked away in the shed waiting for his brother to decide he needs it.

19. Blake Higley

Blake Higley

Have a couple of the HF 56" boxes, for the money they are the best i've come across, cheaper than Craftsmans and better boxes. The 56" are much better than the 44" versions, better rollers on the drawers With latches that keep them closed, not snapon but can be had for $699 with a coupon in just about any guy magazine.

20. PJ1

PJ1

The Milwaukee Tool 46" 16 drawer cabinet at Home Depot looks really nice. Slow-close drawers, outlets on cabinet top and the sides for cordless tool chargers, plus a drawer/shelf for a laptop so you can check out the HAMB while you work. Your from WI, Milwaukee Tools corporate offices are in Brookfield, WI and the product engineering is done there as well, that's kind of bonus eh'
    Yes it is red. But I think most tool boxes are red aren't they?

Chavezk21 and 1927graham like this.
  21. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I'm not a big HF fan, but I have to endorse thier tool boxes.
    We use them at work in the diesel shop.
    They have held up great and that is with people who did not pay for them using them.
    I have always been a Craftsman fan and I'm happy with thier older boxes at my home shop. We tried some newer model Commercial boxes at the diesel shop and we were very disappointed

22. Yeah red is ok, I've looked at the Milwaukee 46" at Home Depot today and was impressed and the price was good ($698), they are the best I've found so far, I've had Craftsman boxes for years but they don't care to improve/keep up with others any more, I'll keep my Craftsman cause it has all my old stickers/decals I've put on it for many years, hey, a great subject for another thread, tool box stickers, might be kind of cool!
    tool box.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  23. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Use what ever floats your boat. Who gives a shit what someone thinks. Snap On is way over priced. Stanley and Craftsman are way over priced. Most are way over priced. I have a Kmart tool box that I paid 59 cents for in 1970. Still suits me well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1927graham likes this.
  24. most of my tools are just laying on the work bench.

MMM1693 likes this.
  25. cretin

cretin

Lower price, and they even use thicker steel, and have double rollers on the large drawers which some of the "better" brands do not.

When I was looking to get a bigger box, I checked out what was available. I went with the HF box. Was better then the other boxes mentioned above, and was easy on the wallet. Personally it makes no sense to me to by a hugely overpriced Snap-on box. My HF one holds tools just as well as the expensive boxes, and it leaves money free to buy quality tools to put inside it. I would prefer it wasn't red, but for the price I don't care.
    Typically, I would want to support a company with a better reputation, but they got it right with the boxes, and I doubt the more expensive boxes are made here anyway.

And for what it's worth, I have no complaints about the casters whenever I've moved it.

26. Forget the wheels ,buy the a Bunch of HF ones when they are on sell .
    IMG_1398.JPG

mgtstumpy, fauj, rjones35 and 4 others like this.
  27. unkamort

unkamort

"I'm not a big HF fan, but I have to endorse thier tool boxes."

x2... I have a total of 6 roll around boxes... the latest purchase was a $350 HF unit. Compaired to my (older) snap on boxes there is a lot of value for the money.

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No complaints on my MAC 16-drawer cart. I picked it up at a garage sale 5-years ago. $500 and every drawer was full of name brand tools - MAC, Snap-On, Kent-Moore, as well as receipts showing the monthly payments the original Owner made when he bought it in 1958 and manufacturer's brochures from that period. Oh, yeah, the people selling it also delivered & unloaded it for me at my shop at no additional charge !
    [​IMG]

krbstr, flatheadpete, Lepus and 4 others like this.
  29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I have 2 Harbor Freight rolling toolboxes, and have used them for 7 years....no problems, and didn't cost an arm and a leg....I'm on a pretty tight budget as it is, due to wife's medical expenses, but I figure I can repair anything that could go wrong, such as casters, etc if need be....but nothing has caused any problems!...I'm happy with them, and look good as far as I'm concerned.... My mother bought me a yellow stacked Stanley rolling tool box 20 years ago as a Christmas gift, and I still have it also for the back of the garage repairs....I try to buy a little better named tools, but as for the rolling toolboxes, ...I'm happy with my HF tool boxes.

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I have all kinds of tool boxes since I retired and brought those home and my tools are still laying on the workbench. At work I had to put them in the box and lock it or they disappeared.

rjones35 likes this.