Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects picking up a car that's been sitting for 50 years...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Feb 6, 2017.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, quick question... I just bought a 46 ford that's been sitting for 50 years.. it's 1.5 hours away and my trailer doesn't have a winch. I'm going to assume the wheels are locked up.. everything else on this car is 100% rust so my best option is to be prepared. I'm bringing a couple jacks, jackstands tires that hold air.. lots of penetrating oil, tools, hammers, propane torch a couple of come alongs some straps and chains and an engine hoist. guy i'm buying it from is going to spray some penetrating oil on the lugs for me.

1. which way do you turn the brake adjusters to back off the brakes
    2. I am embarrassed to say this.. as I've rebuilt several early ford transmissions... but I've never actually shifted a column shift... which way do you go to get them in neutral.

any other good tricks to drag a new junker home??

Bone likes this.
  2. DO NOT PRESS ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. It won't help and will probably make things a lot worse. I have a car with about the same history and I filled the drivers seat with small empty boxes to keep someone from sitting behind the wheel and pressing the brake pedal. Be sure to use a good puller (I like the KR Wilson one but see archives) on the rear hub/drum. A good puller cost less than a new axle.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS, biggeorge and Hnstray like this.
  3. Hombre

Hombre

Listen looks like you have thought of most everything. Air for the tires is real good as they just may be flat. Easy to find neutral its in the middle, if the tranny will shift at all find any gear, it is a simple H pattern with neutral in the center bar.

It has been a very long time since I messed with those old brakes but it turns counter clock wise to let them off. Trouble with that it is upside down and backwards, so if one direction don't do it go the other way LOL.

Good luck getting it home and post pictures!

dogcat4me likes this.
  4. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

take plenty of water with you to drink , you are going to have a workout . pull shifter handle down as far as it will go , push up as far as it will go , come back down half way , this should be neutral . I don't think you will be able to move the brake adjusters , brake spoon should go up toward floor pan , I think , on both wheels , hand end .

5. alchemy

alchemy

Big sheets of cardboard to put under the locked-up tires when pulling it up on the trailer.

6. Can't use a brake spoon on that one, it will have adjuster cam bolts in the backing plate, and probably would not tighten, but will loosen if they'll move at all

7. And get a winch,manual or 12volt.Makes loading much easier.

biggeorge, flynbrian48 and 51 BIRD like this.
  8. gregga

gregga

RODIST likes this.
  9. Actually one turns clockwise and the other counterclockwise. Find a set of adjusting instructions in the archives or in a shop manual or car owners manual.

Charlie Stephens

10. Get religion and then pray that it wasn't parked with the emergency brake on.

Charlie Stephens

Xtrom, fourspeedwagon and ravedodger like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Massachusetts? Yeah, you need the cardboard trick, and a come along or a (powerful) hitch type electric winch would be better.

The brakes on cars sitting in fields for decades get locked up solid around here, where it's dry. Sometimes need to cut the drums off with a torch.

biggeorge likes this.
  12. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

If there's a source nearby where you can get boiling water pour that on the drums or rear wheels. The heat on the drum may expand the metal enough to get the wheels turning.
    I've done this a few times and it works

hugh m likes this.
  13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I also have some wheel dollies but they have small casters.

as for the ford brakes, yes there are two adjusters on each backing plate... they turn opposite directions... anyone remember which way?? I have a pair in the cellar I should dig up... that will tell me.

and whoever just mentioned the E-brake made me sick a little...

this car is actually in rhode island and I could read large print newspaper through it it's so bad.

14. tractorguy

tractorguy

The cardboard idea is very helpful. I have also had very good luck mixing up several gallons of Dawn dish soap with water. I use several empty wiper fluid jugs.Shake it up well when you are ready to load. It makes the ramps very slippery and can be used on the trailer deck also. Smaller pieces of scrap thin wood paneling tend to work better than cardboard since they do not mush up as easily ....especially with the soap/water mix.

100% Matt likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a Bandit TA in Spokane a few years back and the good ol boys that helped me load it on the trailer had a homemade winch he had constructed out of an old gas chainsaw. Worked like a charm. Always meant to build me one like it, with a blender attachment as well.

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. you will be money ahead if you just hire a roll-back type wrecker.he just backs up to it,lowers the bed and sucks it up on..boom it down and go....no fuss,no mess..trust the driver of the wrecker,he knows how to get it from many angles

bobss396, Hombre, CapeCodBob and 7 others like this.
  17. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

What's the back story on the car? Got any pics of it? What are your plans for it? Good luck....

18. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Already thought of the wrecker... can't bring myself to do it.. I'm a stubborn damn yankee. Grabbing some plywood to slide on.. the spray bottles are an awesome idea.

Car is a melter. Just junk. It is complete and been sitting for 50 years in a dirt floor garage. Just horrible condition. Hoping to salvage the running gear as that is what im running in my 28 roadster and 32 coupster.. spare parts. Anything I don't use will be for sale or scrapped

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Mikel50 and biggeorge like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I agree about the rollback idea. It may cost you a few bucks, but what's your time worth? A good roll back driver can put the car all the way on your trailer for you. You might get lucky. I picked up my Morris Minor and Hot Rod primer and my wife and me pushed it from it resting spot and the brakes weren't locked up. Never touch the brakes unless you have no choice. they may apply and not retract.

garth slater likes this.
  20. dish soap is your friend .

21. adam401

adam401

Ah good old Rhode Island rot. I know I'll get some shit for this but I've moved many cars like this and when all else fails I've smashed the drums with a hammer till the drum's sides split from the face. Hubs are still good drums are a casualty.

biggeorge likes this.
  22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One term - "Cum- along". I loaded a '53 Chrysler (had to have that hemi) with one that had 4 wheels that wouldn't turn.

23. finn

finn

BFH to pound on the perimeter of the drum works fairly well. Remove the wheels and slowly beat along the drum circumference.

Cars with self energizing brakes roll better backwards than forwards.

Yours aren't self energizing, though.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to take pics showing this adventure in progress and post here

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Or some sheet metal and some grease or dish soap.

27. HF has some pretty cheap winches. Double the line around a pulley to double the weight capacity. You would then have something for the future if needed. Still need 12V but can probably get it off tow vehicle.

28. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Ok.. went and dug out my 46-48 backing plates... if you put the wrench horizontal on the adjuster facing out and turn it up towards the middle on either side it will adjust them looser

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. get a lug all ,once you use one you[​IMG] wont go anywhere without it.

droppedstepside and biggeorge like this.