Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

I wonder what happened to the Iddings car that Jimmy Daywalt Stuffed at Indy in 1951 ???

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sonny Ates set the world's record in the Iddings car at Dayton, breaking the previous one set at Winchester by Johnny White? Not to take anything away from any other car, but the list of drivers who ran this one is quite impressive.

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think Sonny set a new track or world's record every time he drove the car at one of the "hills".

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Sonny told me that car was wicked fast, but "It felt like it was trying to romance you going down the straightaways."

5. ol'55

ol'55

Where did you see it advertised and how can I contact Connie?

6. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Today the ex Johnny Anderson/Gary Rush sprint car was presented in its restored condition at Valvoline Speedway Sydney. Bob Blacklaw has spent 2 decades putting this car together. There is a lot of conjecture about the car's history and that has been discussed in length here. I think most Aussies fans are just happy to see the car as Anderson debuted it back in 1972.

Attached Files:

cactus1 and Speedwrench like this.
  7. baldtireman

baldtireman

"Connie Yski" is on Facebook..

loudbang likes this.
  8. ol'55

ol'55

Thanks for the info.

9. JoeDinora

JoeDinora

Midget hall of famer Chuck Weyant 93 passed away Monday. Raced Indy four times 1955, 57, 58, 59
    RIP old friend

loudbang likes this.
  10. sololobo

sololobo

omg, all this inside info about old school guys I amazing. Many names I recognize but never had this wonderful inside info. So great of you all to share so unselfishly

loudbang likes this.
  11. sololobo

sololobo

page 824 with all the action shots is off the hook, I can hear, smell and fell the thunder. Thanx so much for sharing.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Posted today on another site.

Gordon Wolley passed February 1, 2017 in Waco Texas.

He was an IMCA champ and an outlaw before there were " Outlaws".

RIP Gordon and go fast at the big race track in the sky.

tombeaux, Offy 220, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. After last season's many DNF's from minor things like rockers coming loose and unporting too much oil; we've made the many fixes and are ready to make good on the great qualifying times. We'd qualify with times as much as 10 seconds better than prior times on some tracks. But we just couldn't FINISH the weekend.
    All the glitches large and small have been addressed. We begin our season the first part of May at Buttonwillow Raceway (West of Bakersfield CA.)
    20160622_155210.jpg 2014-04-19 14.59.17.jpg

14. tevintage

tevintage

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. Thanks,

It's come along way from a pile of unidentifiable wreckage of an early race car in a garage in Rosemead CA. It was discovered and resurrected by a guy named Craig Lillywhite, with the body panels banged out by a fellow of the name of Dennis Webb. Craig finished it in the mid-nineties, showed it and ran around some of the local tracks. He sold it to a fellow who parked it in his warehouse for a few years. I bought it. When I tried to race it, I found that it really needed a lot more work and development. I started working it up to a potential podium finisher, starting in 2003. A little over a year ago, I was finally (after 12 seasons of racing) able to put an engine/chassis tune on it that is probably the most I can get out of it. It's been a GREAT trip. It is certainly gratifying to give fans a show of a little "mongrel" 30's big car nipping at the heels of the best out of Europe in the day. 32-Miller-Scofield-Ford-DV-13-MH_09.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  16. loudbang

loudbang

That is a beauty.

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Can't get much better than that! Congrats, Gary:D

Old Dawg likes this.
  18. tevintage

tevintage

Thanks again for the history of your wonderful race car. The work of Dennis Webb is well known for excellence. It certainly looks like a very fun old school drive with the rear end ready to move around. TEB

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old Dawg and loudbang like this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Beautiful car

I have two questions:

How is the tail pipe affixed to the tapered collector?

How is the roll bar and its diagonals attached to the frame? Is there a rule about this where you race?
    Thanks.

20. RE: Tailpipe and Rollbar. As was a practice "Back in The Day" : The long pipe is expanded at the header end (approx. 4 to six inches from the end). The header then slips into this fitment. That way heat expansion can take place. Some guys use a couple of elaborate spring tensioners. I find that a stout clamp at the end (just aft of the cockpit) does just as well. The roll bar is mounted on the frame. The main hoop in compression on the frame. The diagonal brace to the rear is also mounted to the frame. In sheer. With the narrow size of the elements (approx 1 3/8"), it's unlikely that it could sustain an end for end event. It probably would work in a side rollover. Either way, this rollbar though not the best will absorb a lot of energy (better'n nothing). In any event, in such a fixture AN hardware should be used (it's pliable and stretchable). Grade 8 will break. Many would argue that point. But, my background is in aviation where one cannot make mistakes.

Most vintage race clubs give PreWar cars as pass on rollbars. My rollbar is a rarity.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  21. I don't know if all this is O.T. on this particular thread; but these shots might give you an idea of how these type cars were put together. Note that there is a substantial clamp to the rear of the tail pipe. The clamps' bracket is bolted to the frame (with the rollbar) at the rear crossmember. On the lower photo you can see the rear crossmember that fits into the channel of the frame, on which the top flange of the rollbar sits (the AN bolts go into the side of the crossmember). The diagonals of the roll bar are affixed the the tails of the frame of the car Miller-RacerGezzers.jpg millermaint001_zps2aab5d11.jpg

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for the insight Old Dawg. I will study the pics and do something similar with my junk. I realize this simple roll bar will not give the same protection as latter day cages, but I too am willing to accept these risks and will work hard at "keeping the shiny side up".

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  23. blackout78666

blackout78666

IMG_5566.JPG IMG_5593.JPG IMG_5737.JPG IMG_5855.JPG IMG_5972.JPG IMG_5977.JPG IMG_5994.JPG

Finally feel like I have something to contribute. I have an obsession with old sprint cars and midgets. Wasn't raised around it. Have only been to a handful of sprint car races and am in a somewhat open wheel desert here in central texas. Raced stock cars for years and for reasons I won't get into can't be a sat night warrior anymore. Been following this thread for years and dreaming of someday having an old sprint car to go in circles with. After getting burned on a deal to buy one turnkey it lit a fire to just build my own. I found a set of 1965 Watson plans originally sold by nance speed equipment to Luther Brown and set about building my own. Have had a lot of help tracking down parts and have met some really awesome people along the way. This thread has been my bible... still a ways to go but chipping away an hour a day after work and on saturdays. About a month in. Thanks to everyone who had posted on here. Been a hell of a resource. Thanks all

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  24. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Great build! Your off to a great start! I am also starting another ground up build, I will have to post some pics of my progress soon. Keep up the good work!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks great, Have fun it will be worth all the effort! Gary

loudbang likes this.
  26. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Looks great you going to stick a 4 cam in it like Watson had ?

DND

loudbang likes this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Anybody working on restos, replicas, or ground-up builds please add the link to the thread in your signature line so we can follow. Thanks

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  28. blackout78666

blackout78666

IMG_3364.JPG image.jpg IMG_2806.jpg thanks for the kind words and DND I wish. Injected 327. Things went real fast till its getting down to tabs, brackets, and all of the little things. Frenchtown flyer I'm not sure I understand the link thing. I'm sure it's easy to do just don't know how. Here's a few pics from the blueprints. Just a big model car kit! Need to find a proper hood for it. I have a pretty f'd up nose I'm going to try and fix but if y'all know of anyone making these early parts besides speedway please send me a pm. Take good care. Jay

Old Dawg, wheels53, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  29. blackout78666

blackout78666

IMG_6038.PNG IMG_6037.jpg
    So here's a cool piece of history. When I found these blueprints there were lots of pencil notes, markups and the like. Also the name Luther Brewer on the top left of one of the pages. Prints dated 1965. Pic of brewer sprint car in 67. Could this car have been built from these plans???

30. lbf100

lbf100
    from holden mo

Sir , hope to see ray Lee in a couple of weeks , I'll show him this he may know , lb

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

blackout78666 and loudbang like this.