Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Deuce pick up rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Woodster, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

While starting to cobble together parts for a cobbled together deuce framed roadster I came upon this all steel, all Ford, pretty much rust free '32 pick up. It had been sitting on SF Bay Area Craigslist for three weeks with no responses when I came upon it. I couldn't believe it was still there and I drove out immediately and bought it.... he even delivered it!

It had an 8BA that the seller says he had running (no water in the oil)an Edelbrock twin carb manifold, headers, '39 trans and rear. It was an old hot rod and I want to retain the flavor with some safety and driving upgrades..... front dics brakes, unisteer, T5 trans. I'll go through the engine and check bearing clearances, etc and reseal it before trying to start it.

I have a question..... it has a dropped axle but I don't know how much it's dropped. it measures about four and a half inches from the top of the spring boss to the top of the kingpin boss. I think it's a three inch drop but I have nothing to compare it to.

I'm going to be cutting off that beautiful shock mount (?) I don't think there's a front side of the axle..... I'm hoping I can cut it and grind it down and make it look decent but then spin the axle around so that's in the back. Is there a problem with that?

Thanks!
    Gary O

DSC01312a.jpg 00o0o_eE0dALOpzam_600x450[1].jpg DSC01310aa.jpg

Attached Files:

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that's an awesome score I like old pick up s

Woodster likes this.
  3. scotts52

scotts52

Nice score. I have a 32 I hope to get built soon.

Woodster likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Do a search BEFORE you spend any money on a "Unisteer". The kind that replaces a stock Ford box has a very poor reputation here on the HAMB.

5. the guy who welded on that shock mount must have heard that old saying " if you can not weld good weld a lot"

yes, you can turn the axle around

FlatJan, crozch, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  6. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Well, thanks. I really like the concept. I'll do that research.
    Gary O

Rich B. likes this.
  7. Ray Charles welded that up!!

mgtstumpy, biggeorge and Woodster like this.
  8. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Thought so, thanks!
    Gary O

9. Dang, Son! You're living' right! Wish I could find one that nice. Keep the updates coming.

32Rules likes this.
  10. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Right????? but I've been waiting for a real deuce for 50 years!

11. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

When I was 21/21 ('72) my first hot rod was a '34 pick up..... kinda gone full circle.

Attached Files:

12. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Why don't you like the unisteer? As Alchemy suggested above I have searched the HAMB for posts on the Unisteer and it appears to be about 50/50 love and hate. The two owners of cars I've seen in person loved them. Without seeing the 'hate' set ups I can't tell if the problem is with the unit or the installation. A panhard bar would be a absolute necessity with any cross steer set up but I can't figure out why it wouldn't work at least as well as a Vega box.
    I know they're not at all traditional and I suspect that's part of the issue. I love rack and pinion.... the steering feel is so much more precise than ball and sector. I have R&P on my two daily drivers and my roadster with almost no play in the wheel as I drive. My '51 Ford, my wife's '55 TBird and her Fiat 124 all have B&S and there is play in all of them..... not a lot but I can feel it.
    I appreciate the feedback and will continue to research it.

13. john dioli

john dioli

Love it keep the pictures coming

Woodster likes this.
  14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Love the pickup. Nice find.

There is also lots of negative feedback on the FordBarn about unisteer. I haven't used one myself. The negative feedback I had read scared me off getting one. 50/50 positive vs negative feedback is not exactly great odds in my opinion.

Good luck with the pickup.

32Rules and Woodster like this.
  15. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Congrats on a awesome find!

Woodster likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

The half-rack unisteer is not the kind I'm talking about. The problems were with the unisteer brand box that directly replaces the 32 box. It had parts that couldn't be adjusted and broke early.

As for the half-rack, I'll just leave that up to you. Should work well with the disk brakes. Gonna use an LS motor too?:rolleyes:

17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Ask someone with the unisteer rack what there turning radius is like.
    I,m sure it,s an improvement if you drive a bus.

18. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

It would be hard for me to change much other then the shock mounts on that pickup. Looks like a really nice start.

bct, greaser and Woodster like this.
  19. Toqwik

Toqwik

20. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Been looking for one for 50 years......

21. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Thought I'd post some 'before ' pics for your entertainment and cringing. My comments would be 'why use one clamp when three will work' and 'I wouldn't trust that brake pedal!'
    You can see there is no rust at all with the exception of surface here and there. Makes the work worth it.
    DSC01316a.jpg DSC01317a.jpg

Attached Files:

Jet96 and T-roaster like this.
  22. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yikes. That front wishbone needs some fixing up front and proper bungs welded in the rear. It also kinda looks like the spindles steering arms were maybe cut off and rewelded with the same care as the shock mount. The brake pedal set up is unique. Ive never seen a below floor mount stuck up on the firewall. Im sure the arm was torchered to make it work. All things that need some rethinking.

23. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

With a panhard bar I can't see why it shouldn't work splendidly.... I'll report my findings here.

LS? Absolutely!!!! What other engine IS there???? I'm gonna pull the pan off the flattie, check the clearances, re-do the seals, bolt on a T5 and put it back in. Just seems wrong to do otherwise.

24. You want to sell the gear box on the truck let me know. I got some nice billet wheels I would trade ya. Go good with the gear ratio of that t5 you want to put in it.

25. Jeff34

Jeff34

I must have missed that listing. Either that or the wife blocked it
    Nice truck! Needs some sorting with the hacks that have been made but still a clean straight start.
    Where are you in the Bay Area?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Enjoying the "before" picks. Looks like the same guy built my 32 sedan!
    Keep the updates coming!

Woodster likes this.
  27. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Will do!

28. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Thank her for me :)

I'm in Santa Rosa....

29. Jeff34

Jeff34

Cool! I'm in Petaluma...

30. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

The ad was on Craigslist for three weeks and I was the only call.

Are you still looking for a 16" wire wheel? 35 Ford? I have a couple.....