Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Things That Will Never Be On My Hot Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I won't put on power anything. Steering, brakes, windows, etc work just fine manually. Don't need a cupholder or a radio either. My joy comes from the visceral experience of being connected to the car and the road, not being distracted and isolated and insulated.

Devin

modified likes this.
  2. Things That Will Never Be On My Hot Rod

THIS! [​IMG]

AllDeuceRun_053114_1706-L.jpg

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I agree 100%! Chucky's with no faces...

sailingadventure, cretin and clunker like this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Flatheads were the first choice in hot rods during the 1940's and 50's.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I can't believe you found a subject for a thread that HOTRODPRIMER hasn't thought up first! smileyface!

7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

You betcha ;)

8. shineRUMRUN

shineRUMRUN

I ALUMINUM RAD THEY LOOK AWFUL....

pat59, X38 and Montana1 like this.
  9. No offense but, no computers, key-less entry, wide whites, coon tails, static straps, junk hanging from the mirrors, dingle balls, mood lights, radio, hula girls and bobbing heads in the back window, crushed velour interior, skulls and crossed bones, gold paint, etc.

With that said, I do like to be able to go fast, handle good, stop on a dime (even if I do drive it like an old man most of the time), and be able to drive it every day without issues. Sometimes I wish I might have put AC in it, but naaaahhh! I'd rather just roll the windows down.

cheyennesuper74 and osage orange like this.
  10. Chevy motors or Ford emblems, I don't care for belly button cars.

11. Anything made in china or Boyd's shop. And damn sure nothing that ever went on a billet streetrod. Square door handles square muffler tips. Electric antennas. Or automatic roofs that fit inside your trunk.

Tedders, Spoggie and osage orange like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well this will step on some toes but I'll never run one of those moon tanks on the front of anything that doesn't have a full roll bar run on a race course of one type or another. They usually look like a big zit out in front of a pretty grill that stands damned well on it's own.
    Then there is those ugly sun visors that somehow guys think makes them part of the in crowd. If you aren't going to run all the East LA lowrider bomb trinkets to go with it your car doesn't need or want one. Back in the 50's and 60's the only guys who ran them were the same ones or the same ilk that you see in the chrome trinket and flame decal aisle at Autozone loading up with portholes chome plastic gas covers and flame decals they will probably put on backwards.

As far as an alternator or AC or some of the other pieces that make serious road trips a bit more comfortable I'll run them flathead or straight six and all. My wife earned her hot rod wife creds riding from Washington to Central Texas in the 48 with no windows, no ac and damned little insulation on the floor in 100+ degree heat (1981 was the year Texas had over 45 days straight of over 100) with an 8 year old and a 2 year old. She deserves to make the next trip with AC and a few comforts as she earned it.

On the other hand you won't find anything like that on my roadster and it will even run Huck brakes as that is what works with the 18 inch 6 lug Chevy wire wheels. It ought to keep even the most serious nit picker happy but it will be that way because that is the way it is supposed to be and a long trip for it will be 100 miles one way. 

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am suprised it has not been mentioned,no mirror muff.

Runnin shine and traffic61 like this.
  14. j3harleys

j3harleys

Turn signals.

modified likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

the only way I would run one of those is with mechanical fuel injection...;)

1927graham and traffic61 like this.
  16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

14708280_10154025049656188_768499363084862158_n.jpg

17. THINGS THAT WON'T BE "IN" MY HOT ROD!!

My ex-wife!!!

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I always thought you had to at least have alcohol in those things. And if it's nitro... I'll shut the hell up!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Powder coat'em satin black, nobody knows!!

20. And then there is Safety! No third brake lights unless you are running two 50 Pontiac tail lights on each side and one bulb is out!:p

Spoggie likes this.
  21. You know I thought the same thing when I came up with this! No shit! :p

wicarnut and falcongeorge like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I hesitate to respond to this thread for it seems to fluff feathers. I'm finding the comments rather enlightening to are differences of opinion.
    So to not sound like a d__k tiptoeing on the saddle of his horse. I will never have Phillips head screws, nyloc nuts, cadmium plated hardwares, or plastic zip ties on my "traditional" hot rods. Although I understand the superiority of these and use them extensively in other niches. This is just on me cause I can't stand it but others... go in piece.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cretin likes this.
  23. As I remember from 1961 a Dark Green 33 Chevy Coupe with Red Rims and No radials. Oh is that the car in your garage?:confused:

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I don't have one of those. I do have a few ex-girlfriends, but if one of those ever finds her way into my hot rod, then I WILL have a ex-wife!:eek::D

25. What Have I Started?:eek:

26. Their like Voodoo dolls. If you stick one with a spike you'll see someone with NO taste cry! I believe proper etiquette requires one to lasso them and drag them behind a real Hot Rod!

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spoggie and ct1932ford like this.
  27. I can't really agree with all of this. I really respect what you are into, but for me, being 60 I grew up with an era of HOT RODS that were pioneering things like Disc Brakes, Radial Fat Tires, alternators, and for the go fast crowd Automatic trans. For people who grew up with any given area of Hot Rodding they are going to be naturally drawn to stay with that era and build that way. Many of the "Hero's" of that era did these things - Pete Chapouris, "Jake", P-Wood, Jim Ewing, etc and still dig that style of car of the era that created, And that is the one I relate to as well. So My 32 RPU has old school style disc brakes, and alternator, and Big N littles that are radial's. It also has a Radio!

How about green rims on a red car ? LOL
    DSC03630.JPG
    I have to admit they polarized a lot of people and when I ended up with it after my customer wanted a different car, I did change them to Torq Thrusts

I can think of a few things that came out of Boyd's shop that would be fine in my garage;
    Boyd 1.jpg Boyd 2.jpg Boyd 3.png

28. ebfabman

ebfabman

Air bags and slammed to the ground, just hate em.....:cool: Oh, and naming a car is dumb. So is exhaust thru the bumper....Not me....never.....:rolleyes: IMG_5586.JPG

29. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I guess I'm another guy wondering about the Doll's bit?
    All of a sudden they started to show up at a few shows, then
    they were at all the car shows.
    I never understood or had anyone explain what was going on.
    I just don't get it and still see people putting them up at local and
    larger shows.

30. I did,mine got deleted,for the life of me I don't know why Marks thread flies and mine didn't~it was titled

I like 4 bars,independent suspension,radial tires and automatic transmissions~ unlike my pal Mark! :D HRP

wraymen, Spoggie, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.