Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 59 Volvo 544 Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Royals, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Wow ! a new song to add to your list ! You're going much too slow for my 59 Volvo........ cool!

chryslerfan55 and OahuEli like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

On the springs...you have a long ways to go before you'll be able to see what it really needs...that will be when you have ALL the parts on the car!

Keep on truckin

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

What about rear suspension ? leafs and ladder bars or coils ?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Funny. When we bought it 25 years ago... it was absolutely rust free! Just had a little knock in the engine. Glad you decided to give it another life !

5. Cody Royals

Cody Royals

Definitely leafs and ladder bars! The springs are out of an 80's s10, and i stripped them to mono leafs but i believe i will be putting another leaf back on them. We will probably have to heat and bend the springs close to the eye to get the ride hieght as close to the 11" rocker panel clearance as we can... This car is not long and i don't want it any higher than it has to be for handling purposes

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, it's short wheelbase and Johnny's car is long, going to be interesting as to which approach is better!:rolleyes:

volvobrynk and Fiddle Picker like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Due to packaging problems with my 87 inch wheelbase. I am stretching it to 89 inches per the rules and using coil springs and bars similar to Gene Cromer's Willys.

loudbang likes this.
  8. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Cody, I look forward to seeing your progress. Nice job.
    Don't be quick to scrap the stock parts you are not using. There are people restoring those cars. A friend of mine is one of them.
    BTW, sorry to hear about your shingles at your age. How's this: I had shingles when I was 15. That was 51 years ago. A one time outbreak. Never came back.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Cody and JV ,I also have shingles. I'm 77 and they are with me every day. Found mine in 02. Any one that had chicken pox, and does not get the shingles shot, oh well. Good luck on the Volvo.

loudbang likes this.
  10. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

VMODslicks.jpg
    Yeah! Volvos can have some ATTITUDE! Here's my old beater from later Nineties. Tube frame, full cage, Quickchange, SBC. WAy darn fun. Miss it some times, fersure. It is still somewhere in Mnpls area I think.
    PV power!
    hotrod_tommy

11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

nice car tommy.

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Bet that one was a blast to drive !!!

loudbang likes this.
  13. sololobo

sololobo

first Volvo I ever drove, was so impressed. This is going to be total bad ass, best wishes on the build.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

neat little cars. i bought one in late '69 and never could figure out why the heater wouldn't work in a swedish car--they had a "curtain" that you lowered over the radiator via a dash cable that controlled engine temp. of course, mine was long gone...

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. hellerods

hellerods

Please keep posting on your progress, I can't get enough

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, I can't contain my excitement, you mixed my to favorite things; SEG and Volvo's! He11 yeah, you rock!

There was a 544 survivor Gasser on here for sale at one point, with the stock front suspension, and right now in general doubt my only feeling regarding I prefer the stock suspension, but god damn that will be one cool Gasser!
    But stock front suspension, you can drag it, street race it, road race it and Daily Drive it, but it doesn't look as Racey as the straight axle.

What will you run for engine set up? 4 twin Webers on IR, that would be so cool!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhere there is a Volvo restorer named Sven, howling at the moon....

Fiddle Picker, OahuEli and brEad like this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

He can howl away, as long as he do it somewhere else. And there is still plenty Volvo's to be had!

I got this one and I regret NOTHING, although people think I ruined it! [​IMG][​IMG]

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It should be about time for an update picture or two

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I do know Cody won his class at the Fri. night drags at Atlanta Motor Speedway driving his Dad's '53 Chevy station wagon that had exploded a harmonic balancer the previous Fri., so he's prolly been busy repairing that.

22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Ten4 Dave, he's a busy man. Trying to finish up the turbo mod on his 66 Rambler and racing season has started and we still campaign a couple others that need attention. Slowed me up a little on my Gasser too. He will get back on the Volvo soon. Cody and the old 53 Wagon are a good match !

23. Corey "Waldo" E.

Corey "Waldo" E.

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Corey, that rock too!

Start a thread and get it SEG-legal, that needs to be raced again!!!!!!!! ASAP!!!

25. Drunken_Sailor

Drunken_Sailor

Sven is already howling[​IMG] [​IMG]

26. kenmo

kenmo

I always thought these early Volvo P544s were cool and would be good candidates for a led sled or gasser. Very nice...

27. I helped a guy put a Volvo 2 liter in one.
    With a milled head, header, a pair of SUs and stock 4.56 gears it ran pretty well. :D
    It dosen't take much when it is that light.

chryslerfan55 likes this.