Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Stolen '39 Willys, BC, Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spex84, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Mods feel free to axe this if the off-topic nature offends...I don't personally know any of the parties involved, but I thought I'd post it because I'm sick of thieves stealing everything that isn't nailed down in BC and Alberta, Canada. The more eyes on the lookout, the better.
    https://www.facebook.com/jf.launier/posts/10154077046156854
    STOLEN '39 WILLYS
    Out of the Okanagan region, BC, Canada (as far as I know; the facebook post isn't very informative)
    Original FB post by JF Launier (builder of that yellow Ridler-award winning Buick you may remember from a few years back); the car apparently belongs to a friend of his, who spent 15 years building it.
    Apparently the car was stolen out of the builder's garage.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dons37 likes this.
  2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Beautiful car and so unique it would be hard to hide. Hope it turns up soon, will keep eyes open and spread the word on Vancouver Island.

Dons37 likes this.
  3. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Thanks SS34coupe.
    You're right, it's pretty darn eye-catching. Let's hope someone notices it somewhere.

4. trollst

trollst

I'm in Princeton, not far from this guy, thefts have been rampant over this way, the guys the cops have gotten so far have all not been from this area. These idiots aren't proud, they'll take anything, bets are it's gone to the coast, but we'll keep our ears open, good thing about little places, everybody knows everybody and anything different don't take long to hit the gossip mill.

teefan likes this.

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Keeping my eyes open. By the way the yellow phantom wagon was a Chrysler I believe.

7. Posted in Massachusetts this morning.
    I hope this fellows car turns up soon.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Bump for the early morning...
    Fortunateson-- yep, Launier built a yellow phantom Chrysler wagon also.

trollst--"these idiots aren't proud". No kidding. In my small town, last week lowlifes pinched a kids' hockey net from a carport, still in the box. And stripped the wheels off a new truck at the dealership. And siphoned gas out of skiers' cars. Aaaand...took a kids' stroller...not to mention hitting nearly every business in town over the last 6 months.
    It's an epidemic. I blame meth.

Still hoping this fella gets his Willys back unharmed!

CoolYourJets and black_dog41 like this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Around some parts of Flint, MI we call a day like that Tuesday.
    Seriously, Hope he gets his car back.

Speedwrench likes this.
  10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

JF is a super good guy. Lives in Osoyoos my original home town. Still have family there. If he is posting it then it's legit. Will spread the word around the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. RmK57

RmK57

We had our F-350 C/C stolen in Osoyoos from one of the mall parking lots.
    Made it real awkward for a family of four stranded in a parking lot with our 5th wheel trailer back at the campground.

Anyway they recovered it and traced it down to two brothers that were from Rock Creek that were or still may be creating trouble for people in the south Okanagan. Hope you get your Willys back.

Hudson31 likes this.
  12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

yes as pretty as the Kootenays are, there is a lot of drug activity that way which breads this shit! if only they would cut a few of these thieves hands off maybe they would think twice...

13. I believe if a thief is caught in Saudi Arabia the punishment is pretty sever and can result in loosing a right hand,barbaric yes but I would suspect the thieves find a new line of work after the first offense. HRP

MUNDSTER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Hendee

Hendee

Will keep my eyes and ears open in Ontario. Tough car to make unrecognizable for sure. Hope it turns up out your way. I still keep wondering if the 37 Ford Cabrio that was stolen from Trepanier will ever show up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 10secterror

10secterror

T Malone likes this.
  16. Re-posted to my FB page.

17. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I have yet to comprehend the mind set of people who would steal something like that. We all have our addictions but my need for my next fix is not as compelling as theirs I guess.

With the publicity the theft is getting the best they can hope for is part it out and sell the drivetrain and wheels because the body is too recognizable to sell, at least to anyone who has any scruples.

Reminds me of an incident in my hometown of Indy years ago when some dingaling stole an indy car. There was nothing there that could be used on any other vehicle and that is such a small world that all the players know who has what, so you can't sell the car or pieces to anyone in the crowd that would be able to use them.

Some people aren't overly f'ing bright.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  18. You are absolutely right but this happens almost daily and I'm afraid 95 % of what is stolen is never recovered.

It amazes me with the volume of people on the internet and the interest I vintage cars how they totally disappear like they never existed. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Eyes open in the Fraser valley...........

MUNDSTER likes this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When unfortunate folks get caught up in the iron claws of dope, it is only 'human' to want to help them.
    I'd like to help them into their own mode of transport. Hearses come to mind...

kiwijeff and Max Gearhead like this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If this was stolen by a meth head, it will probably be recovered. Unfortunately my guess is, it was more likely a pro, and stolen to order, probably already in a shipping container and heading overseas:(. Nonetheless, I will keep my eyes open, and ear to the ground.

22. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Off topic, but has anyone heard if the Street Rodder's Fairlane was found?? Unreal how brazen people are!

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with Falcongeorge. Not easy enough to get rid of for the normal drug habit funding thief. Too far off the beaten path for most thieves who don't have it sold before they ever go to steal it. If it crossed the border in the back of an enclosed trailer there should be some notation of it crossing even if it just says 39 Willys, in trailer owner headed to car show. It also didn't get driven though or out of town in the dead of winter. Someone backed up to the garage and loaded it there. If it went though town the locals would know and wonder why he had it out at that time.

falcongeorge likes this.
  24. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

I could speculate all day...unfortunately, the druggies are dumb and desperate enough that they might have stolen it for the wheels and shiny engine bits, abandon the rest somewhere.
    Or it could be in a trailer, destined for Russia. No word yet on whether or not its been recovered, so I guess not :(
    *edit* yeah, I was curious about the Street Rodder road tour car too...have heard nothing about it since the theft, so maybe still missing?

25. I doubt it was crack heads. A boost like that takes time. Lots of planning and research to figure out where it lives what time the owner is around what else is in the area as far as people cops and ect. Ect. That's a rare car. besides the fact of how nice it is. That's a car someone ordered. Probably a 5000 to 10000 dollar boost price. Shitty thing is it's probably already on it's way over seas and when it gets there they don't even have to repaint it. Guys are going to car shows just to do their homework and find the cars crooks want. They see you and your car and follow you home. Then it's a waiting game and when your not home it's gone. Hell they are even stealing them at car shows. The movie gone in 60 seconds is pretty accurate as to planning,stealing the car, and filling the order of some rich asshole overseas. My dad installed heavy metal anchors in our garage floor concrete and always chained down is 409 early 60s bubble tops impalas. House got robbed and they stole his stereo and guns but couldn't get the cars fast enough so they beat the shit out of them with hammers. That was in banning cal. Around 1985
    Bottom line lock the shit out of everything the longer it takes the more worried they get and leave. I will keep my eyes out here in central California.

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. Its a blown '39 Willys. It's February. The theft happened in BC, Canada. Meth heads didn't pinch this thing. It went into an enclosed trailer. PROBABLY right in the owners drive way. I think someone would remember that thing motoring down the road, 1st week of Feb. ;)

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've told this story here before. A few years ago, a couple local crackheads broke into my shop. I had to laugh, they moved a $600 race prepped 1050 dominator to steal an $80 Black & Decker drill.:rolleyes: It might feel good to rant and rave, but this is not crackheads...Considering that this happened in SW BC, I could say what readily identifiable group I think is probably behind this, but it would just be a guess, and it would offend people. Lets just say they own the people who manufacture the local crack (as well as strippers, prostitution, grow-ops, ect, ect), they sure as hell aren't the sad pathetic losers that are smoking it. They are a nasty piece of work is what they are, and if its them, its probably headed to Sweden.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:( same thing (more or less) happened to a very nice local L79 '66 Nova ht a few years back, they found parts of the car in a warehouse, body had been cut into pieces. Same "organization" I was hinting at in my post above. Never made the papers, but I heard about it through nova people I know.

29. Yeah, not drug heads for sure. That green paint is visible from space, hard to miss that anywhere in the open.

30. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I think it was 1990. It wanted it's streetrod back.

On the other hand...
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    "Sorry fellow somebody broke in last night and stole your car. Funny thing too, They stuffed a big wad of cash in my pocket. Imagine that."