Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED, Feb. 3, 1959...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

quick85...
    "Eddie & The Cruisers" is a cool film...with a good cast. I always loved Ellen Barkin. And, yes, Holly's influence has been felt by so many other singers & groups...like the Beatles, and the Stones. A life and a career ended too soon. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Thanks, for your thoughts too.
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

biggeorge and quick85 like this.
  2. Thanks for bringing this back up Jonnie. I was not born yet, but my parents remember that day well, they will never forget the terrible tragedy .Buddy was a tremendous talent, just think what he might of done if his life was not cut so short. images.jpg

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the music created by those that were lost still lives on today

mad mikey likes this.
  4. Great thread

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HemiDeuce likes this.
  6. Sad day for sure. They made some great sounds & to top it off my brides name is Peggy Sue so I had that stripped on her 57 bird. 2006 1151.jpg

stanlow69 likes this.
  7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

mad mikey...
    So good that your folks remember it also...and thanks for the pix-combo. I had never seen that before. It's just spot-on perfect. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Best,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

mad mikey likes this.
  8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker & Chris,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to Post. Each of us listens, hears, and, communicates, in a special way...Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and, J.P. Richardson (The Big Bopper) did it their way through their music and it does still impact our lives 58 years later. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Thanks again,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

jcmarz...
    You were right about those early deaths in 2016 that included David Bowie, Glenn Frey, and Paul Kanter.

2016 also saw the deaths of so many others, like Merle Haggard, Leon Russell, Sonny James, Scotty Moore (Elvis' longtime guitarist), Greg Lake & Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake, and, Palmer), and, Phil Chess (who ran Chess Records...home of Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley).

All of the above, like Buddy, Ritchie, and, J.P., were a part of our R&R Radio History, and their music, and their special contributions to our Crusin' & listening pleasure will live on. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

Thanks again, jc,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

26 T Ford RPU, jcmarz and biggeorge like this.

11. Jonnie Thanks for the kind words. A little side note,We were on an America Cruise in Peggys' bird & there was a stop over in Rock Springs Wy. The local car club had BBQ & dance for us. I asked the DJ if he could play Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly. He said sure & cleared the dance floor & announced that this was Peggy & I & we had the whole dance to ourselves. Great memory.
    That's for bringing this up.
    Burn Out Bob

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  12. RMONTY

RMONTY

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Yes, this just happened last month and I had missed the announcement that Tommy had died. Thank you for adding this.
    I do remember the "coin toss" between Allsup and Ritchie...Ritchie won the toss and got Tommy's seat on the plane.And, thanks for adding this Link, it's got some good Info in it:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/...es-at-85-a-coin-toss-saved-his-life.html?_r=0
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

14. Every year I look forward to this thread coming up to read the memories we have of the trio. I have always wondered what they all would have achieved if they had a music career at least as long as the Beatles were together.
    Going to watch a friends R&R band and hope I get a chance to play drums on some Buddy tunes. JW

15. Over the Christmas break, my youngest son was home from university. He was sitting in the rec room, playing some sort of video game but I could tell he was listening/watching La Bamba on the TV. At the end, he looks at me and asked if that was a true story. Told him, yes, you've heard of "the day the music died", and he nodded, and I told him that this was the same. He got a funny, sad look on his face, and I knew then, that he appreciated the music, understood the magic. He's 23.

Saxman and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

JW...
    Hope you get to sit-in and play. too ! I played drums for years, in my early days, and we did rock with some of those great Holly/Crickets tunes ! One of my favorites to play drums on was "Not Fade Away"...that throbbing, pulsating, staccato beat was just cool to do ! Loved it !!
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Thanks, and I agree about that long career...would have been historic.
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Algoma56...
    This is one of those stories we all like to hear. Like you said, even at 23 your son was touched by the music, and understood the depth of that tragedy...and how the music will always be with us.

Please tell him "thanks" for all of us here...he's one of us: we're all in this together...always sharing. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

My best to you both,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

18. That is very cool indeed, a whole new generation has just ''Got It'' :cool::) JW

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Burn Out Bob...
    What a fitting ending to that night of the America Cruise for you and your Peggy Sue !
    Thanks for those memories ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

20. You are certainly welcome Jonnie King. Now if he would have had me drive the bird up to the edge of the dance area that would have been super awesome. The whole BBQ & dance was in the parking lot of the hotel. Those Rock Springs hotrodders sure know how to have fun as did the other clubs along the tour as there was something going on everynight.

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

JW...
    So true. And another note I wanted to add is that, before Tommy Allsup died a few weeks ago, Bobby Vee passed away last October 24th, 2016. He'd been ill for quite awhile, but with BOTH Bobby & Tommy leaving us...well, they were about the last two survivors from that tragic night.

As it's been told for all these year's, that was the time when Bobby & his then-group, filled in for those that were killed. That info and more is on the Tribute Page at this Direct Link: www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

Again, thanks so much for the eMails on this...and you're all so very welcome. History is for sharing: Without Yesterday, We Wouldn't Have Today. They Always Connect To Help Us Understand & Learn.

Thanks again, JW, and R.I.P. Bobby & Tommy,

JK

www.legends.thewwbc.net

22. Thanks Jonnie and for this thread and yes, history is for sharing. :cool::cool::D JW

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If I were have to make a list of my favorite songs ever. The majority of them would have to fall before 1959. The day the music died. And I was born late in 1969. Sure, there are some great songs after 59, but for the most part. There aren`t to many songs that I don`t like that were written before 1959. No matter if it was rock, country, gospel or any other form. Thanks Jonnie!

24. ^^ x2 on that. There are some great songs after that but none as good and the technology was so primitive by later recording standards and that makes the ''50's sound'' so special. JW

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    stanlow69 likes this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Don`t forget the 40`s and the decades before that.

26. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

stanlow69...
    Being born in '69, it's a compliment to you, and the music, that you like '59 and earlier music that a lot of us actually "cut our teeth on". And, yes, some of the great sounds that came to us from the 20's, 30's, and, 40's, will never be forgotten.

Also, like 26 T Ford RPU says, that "primitive", natural sound they had was from the early, cool, low-tech recording process that they used. It was all they had at the time, but it was an "art form" all on its own...and it was terrific ! www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

stanlow69 likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

28. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

BURN OUT BOB...
    That's really a great tribute to those Rock Springs hotrodders, AND, all of the others, who co-ordinate, plan, and, put those special nights together for Tours coming through their areas !

I know many of them are Hambers...and I salute you, each & every one, for the time & effort you put into the special nights & Cruises in your areas, not just in the U.S.A., but all-over the World. Rods & Customs, like Rock & Roll, are a "Universal Language". Always have been; Always will be. www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Thanks again,

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL MY FELLOW HAMBERS...
    [​IMG] ON THE MORNING OF TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 1959, three Rock & Roll Legends died, when their chartered plane crashed near Mason City, Iowa...instantly killing all three: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, J.P. (The Big Bopper) Richardson, and the pilot, Roger Peterson.

I realize that while some of you have seen this Thread since I first Posted it, many of you are new to the H.A.M.B., and some may be too young to know, and, or, remember this historic occurrence.

It was one of the most-tragic events in early Rock & Roll History. It's impact on a young Don McLean inspired him to use it as part of his lyrics in his multi-million selling 1971 song "American Pie"...in which he wrote "...something touched me deep inside the day the music died..." and from then on, that's how this tragic day has always been described.

IN MY PERSONAL ARCHIVES, for many, many years, I have had an actual news bulletin that was broadcast on that February morning in 1959 after the crash happened...and, I wanted to share it with all of my friends who logon to the H.A.M.B...World Wide.

IT'S SHORT, BRIEF, but so very important in documenting that part of our Rock & Roll Musical History. I have added a bit of music by J.P., Buddy, & Ritchie to the bulletin, so that you can, once again, hear their voices and remember the legacy that they left for us all...and think about how great their careers could have been if they were still with us.

PLUS, I've added my own personal memories of that day in 1959, and, have also added a Special-Section of Info that documents all of the events leading up to that tragic morning.

TO HEAR THIS short, but important, historic, News Bulletin from Tuesday, February 3, 1959...Fifty-Nine Year's ago this weekend... just Click-On-Right-Here.

As always, share your thoughts & memories with us...
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    40two, Chris, mad mikey and 2 others like this.