Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford 3W Build "Marilyn"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DylanHill1931, Nov 14, 2016.

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  2. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

slant post looks faster ;)

Stogy and DylanHill1931 like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stand corrected...;)...so I guess the same team was in charge of the other similar models sharing that cowl post styling...

4. I wasn't 100%, and that is good to know thank you! I will be modifying my cowl to fit the Vicky doors!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Don't know why that info below the first sentence didn't show up till you reposted it Thank You!!

6. The wheel base is the same.
    The front fenders, aprons and running boards are the same too.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

7. I have never had the chance to measure the two but the cowl looks the same, differences are definite in the height and length of the doors roof etc but hinge points appear to be the same not saying I'm right but in the pictures I've seen they look the same

8. Dannerr, brEad and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My following stuff is less than stellar...I am always confident around here the full nine yards will come out...Thanks 31 so much to know.

10. This didn't sell, I'd say it's worth tracking the seller down.

image.png

The headers are different on slant window cowls
    image.jpeg

Here's a 32 header and windshield in process on Dave's Vicky (Druss)
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

11. D-Russ likes this.
  12. Dave did a really nice tech on the entire process here on the Hamb

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

upload_2017-1-30_23-13-48.png I don't know if my Steelback build is of any help to you, but here is a shot of the '31 slantwindow shell with a '29 Fordor visor. Bob

Dannerr and DylanHill1931 like this.
  14. Very very nice!! Definitely going with a visor!!

greaser likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are several '29 visors along with the 30-31, so study the designs and pick the one you like. That '29 I'm using was leaded in after it was tacked to the wood. I need to get back to that project and do something. Bob

16. Hey Dylan , are those motor cycle chain links ? Great idea . You should submit them to tech week . Blue
    IMG_1420.JPG

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I like the Visor too. It makes the car look older IMO. That is why I like the 28-29 better because of that step in the cowl area as well. I am liking how this is coming along! I have been watching here and on Instagram too.

18. Yes will definitely do research before I do have a 30-31 visor that came with the body when I got it, will probably use that since it will look like a late 31 with slanted window, and indented firewall

19. This was not my idea unfortunately but yes it appears to be a motorcycle chain link, I am following the guy who posted this pic, was excited to see a Vicky with a visor and how he did it!!

20. I agree I definitely like the visor on any model a that's one of the first things that catches your eye every time you see one!! And thank you very much!!

21. Don't forget to make the doors flush fitting – the doors don't overlap the quarters at the B-pillars on slant windows. And the profiles on the back of those Vicky doors aren't made to overlap.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  22. Damn was wanting the doors to overlap....hmmm will have to look into this thank you for the info

23. Guys talk about lack of visibility with a visor, that is not a problem nowadays with street lights on every corner, my Model A (avatar) is chopped 5" and having driven it 11,000 miles these last 2 years I have not had a problem.

24. Oh yeah no doubt with the slant window and traffic viewer I'll be fine, I've driven my dads 40 chevy panel with only 2 small swan neck mirrors and no wipers in the rain and dark and I do fine and that thing is nothing but a blind spot haha [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app [​IMG]

1927graham likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that is a clever way of getting the splice piece aligned till welded...not a permanent part of the build. 30/31 visor makes sense to me with the beading matching the year unless you are building a Jalopy...;)... seriously you got one already. Seating height is another consideration when determining sight lines in your ride...

26. Oh yeah absolutely and yes I have a 30-31 visor I will mount to it I have a stock model a "clam shell" seat as of now we'll see once I get there what I'll do!

28. Haha thank you love driving it, I drove it pretty much everyday my senior year of high school!

29. [​IMG]
    Here is the reason I am building my car, this yellow Model A in the picture is/was my first hotrod I remember as a kid and riding in, out of all the cars my dad has had this on has meant the most to me. He sold it in 1997 and we kept track of it for a little while and then that owner sold it and we lost track of it a couple years ago at a car show I look over out the back of my '55 truck and see a yellow model a coupe with a 32 shell, and thought wow that looks just like my dads old car, when I walked over to it memories began to flood my mind as all the details on the car looked exactly the same, and when I looked inside I knew that was my childhood hotrod!!! I was so excited I looked over at the older man sitting behind it and asked if he built or bought the car and where from, we talked for a while and ended up with the guy we sold it to! I couldn't believe my eyes, he asked if I wanted to sit in it and I said yes please! I ran to get my dad and we both looked at it and talked to the man and sat in it, then he reaches through the window and hands us the keys and says "Go ahead and start it up" I can't even explain how happy I was and we took this picture in front of it, he had it for sale but was way more than I could afford to spend unfortunately, even though I'm not building a tribute to it I get to at least build this one with my father! [​IMG] have been working my rotating schedule these past few weeks stopped by today to check on it, hope to get back on it very soon!

30. [​IMG] I asked my dad about this looks like an old hotrod, juice brakes and steel wheels he says he doesn't know the history of it [​IMG] here he is in it after a lot of work! [​IMG] and when it was finished in the late '90s [​IMG] and finally it 4 years ago!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017