Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford 3W Build "Marilyn"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DylanHill1931, Nov 14, 2016.

1. That pic and the one below it is from someone else's build overseas in Switzerland that's the car that inspired this one along with the first post picture!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. It won't be an easy task I know but this car isn't just an everyday model A coupe I know I'll pay the price when I start on these doors but the end result being one of 3-4 3 Window model A coupes will definitely be rewarding to me! I appreciate the door info didn't know vickys doors didn't overlap the body should be a simple fix!

3. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

NICE BUILD!!!!!!!!

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  4. Love your ambition! Great to see the workmanship. Looks Good!

5. Thank you it's very much appreciated!!!

6. [​IMG] my dad holding up the Vicky door still undecided whether I'll do a slant or not [​IMG] the difference between model a coupe hinge and a Vicky hinge which looks an awful lot like a 32 hinge [​IMG] oooohhhh yeah! Haha [​IMG] hmmmm what to do? [​IMG] Vicky doors are about 3" shorter than a coupe door so well see about the chop later on might leave the doors alone [​IMG] [​IMG] Vicky hinges are a tad different will have to modify it to work but the belt line lines up perfectly with the lower hinge in stock position on the Coupe cowl [​IMG] okay last pic!!

oliver westlund, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. [​IMG] original Henry Ford 3 Window prototype straight post [​IMG] original Henry Ford 3 Window prototype slant, I'd run a visor for sure if I do a slant or straight what do y'all think???

oliver westlund likes this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Slant for sure!

DylanHill1931 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Get as slat cowl and your hinge problems are a lot easier to correct. Just noticed the two Henry built are a 1930 with the straight and a 1931 with the slant. Bob

DylanHill1931 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. newton-7.jpg ..... ^^^^ what they said. :)

11. Hahaha I really thought everyone liked the straight window better here and Instagram told me the complete opposite is it because slants look better or more rare??

12. [​IMG][​IMG] the same pics from above that I Colorized on a web app! Inspiration for sure

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

SLANT!! No question. FWIW
    SLANT!!

14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Have Moose over at photoshop add visors to both styles, and then see what you like best. I thought you had said you wanted a visor?

15. How do I get in touch with him and yes definitely want the visor

foxforcefive likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Dylan I right clik saved this years ago and its a great detail shot for the slant post model...Yeah its more work but I vote slant. I must say this car in the pic is quite rare as well...I'd say no to visor even but you can decide...

2006_0420USA20060014.jpg

17. Wow I have searched a lot for a slant window Coupe and haven't come up with much thank you very much I'll be saving this one

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the story was this was original and I think it came via Fordbarn...

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are building a Hotrod so to speak so a visor is an option...it seemed these one to 3 offs shared the Vicky/Fordor Deluxe smoothed visor look...Less blind spot and its particular to the model and doesn't look to bad...
    So what would be easier to find I think the fordor cowl...are the cowls the same as Vicky...o_O

1931-ford-model-a-4-door-sedan-slant-window-rust-free-hot-rod-banger-1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and DylanHill1931 like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You realize this is your fault for finding those Vicky doors...;)...Decisions...Decisions

21. I agree with that, I've noticed the Vicky and slant model As very similar to the 32 etc. door hinges, no visor, slanted windshield, window parts, webbing in the front of the door window, and flush fit doors, I personally I love the visor and the overlapped doors just screams model a to me

22. Hahaha true and yes I do believe the cowl is the same for all slant model As

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vicky, Fordor, Three Window Proto they where all Model A to the bone...just different. 32 was way different.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a heads up...My coupe albiet 29 is chopped with a visor and I'm fairly tall and it does make seeing the lights a little bit of a challenge...the nose is down a bit so that contributes. You could mod the 30 visor a little... hey make it convertible on sometimes, off others.
    When you get to that point start without and ponder...

25. No doubt they were completely different you can just see Henry's transition to the 32 from the straight post model As to Slants to 32s

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suppose the slant post Model A's were the higher end models. It would be interesting what the reasoning was behind the difference. I don't think it was the transition to 32 specifically perhaps the designers thoughts on something different...

27. I believe he was just testing people's reactions to the new body details of the 32 a lot of work to redesign a car to only sell the slants for the last 6 months of '31

28. See That's what you get for not reading -

They are not the same, but the fordor sedan can be modified to work on the Vicky. The windshield pillars are tapered and the sedan is taller than the Vicky so the tapers are different too.

29. The model A Vicky was a "try out" platform or mule for a bunch of ' 32 changes. Only Murray built the slant Windows for ford.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    wheeldog57, pitman and DylanHill1931 like this.