Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Farm find 1957 Dodge Sweptside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46binder, Jan 29, 2017.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Cool find, it looks good "in the weeds."

Johnboy34 likes this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

very nice score on a very cool truck......congrats! :)

3. greener200

greener200

As my ol man would say "That baby looks clean as a whistle " ! Nice truck ,and off the charts on the ""Cool Factor""

4. Gene, I don't blame your son after selling off all his stuff.I would of told him to kiss my ass too!!!!!Bruce.

5. Day 2

Day 2
    from ga

"This is why I don't own any "classics". I'd drop it on the ground, put a 518 2nd gen hemi in it with big tires etc etc."

Yeah, Stock bites!!!

kiwijeff and exterminator like this.
  6. metalman

metalman

Not that it matters much but the one at Mecum only brought 150K, not 175. Must of been a nice one, most they usually bring is around 60. Values aside, I'd have a hard time keeping it bone stock but then that's probably why I'm a hot rodder rather then a restorer. I'd lose sleep deciding what to do with it if she was mine.

CBurne7 and exterminator like this.
  7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Was that the one out at Stateline's old yard?

8. 73RR

73RR

There are a fair number of 315-325 with PF available, just look around.
    Hopefully the frame hasn't been butchered .....

9. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

Front suspension is all there, frame didn't look bad, too bad it didn't have the original engine. Just sold my 1946 IH K2 and bought this. One reason I sold the IH was because I went all stock, and regretted having the old inline 6 flathead rebuilt, top speed what, 45? Not where I live, too many arshole drivers, and it would not be that fun to drive, not worth it. I'll have to sit on it awhile, sounds like keeping this stock is the way to go. Going to start working on my 49 Wayfarer again while I decide.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

11. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great find. Put the hemi and PF back in it, a modern cam and some compression should make it peppy. I would feel free to make a few bolt-on upgrades for driveability as long as you keep the original stuff so it could be put back to stock.
    I had my eye on a nice weathered red and white Sweptside sitting in a private lot in the nearby farm town of Clements. It was surrounded by old trucks of all makes. Some magazine guy drove through town and shot pictures of them. Once they were seen in the magazine it only took a few months and they were all gone.

13. Arominus

Arominus

This didn't have a Hemi, it had a 315 poly with a Powerflight. That said, any of the early hemi stuff will bolt in this, 315/325 hemi stuff is not always the easiest to come by unfortunately. Definitely get on the hunt for a 315/325.

I have a 57 325 short block that has a spun rod sitting in the barn and a powerflight that needs some work and a new tail housing. Problem is, i'm in colorado. That wouldn't be fun to ship. If your willing to deal with that sort of thing, send me a line.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  14. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

Yes, it looks like I will be on a hunt for a 315 poly and a push button powerflight. I've had cars shipped, not sure how much for an engine on a pallet.

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Was that color popular back then, circus peanut orange?

kiwijeff and fourspeedwagon like this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

I don't know, maybe it ended up there. This one was in Baileyville Il, south end of town, about 19 or 20 years ago. A couple of months after he tried to screw my son, the guy had an auction. Even with his buddy trying run up the bid, it fell short of what my son had originally made the deal to pay. We were at the auction, after, my son told him he should have sold the truck when he had the chance, as we walked away laughing.

Bruce, My son had sold off all his stuff, and had called the guy to complete the buy, when he got jacked around. Pretty tough deal on a 14 year old kid! Gene

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What a twatwaffle. Kid learned a valuable lesson. I guess.

18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yeah......I know who you are talking about. I looked at a 56 Chevy 4 door that he had for sale a few years ago. Jacking buyers around must be his regular sales method.....He tried it with me, too. Didn't need the car that bad, so I just said screw it.

So.......Back to the original thread.....Sweptside pickups are really cool trucks. It's good to know that this one is getting saved. Looks like a very solid pickup.....Especially for Wisconsin.

19. I have shipped a fully loaded 409 from VT to IN with Fastenal for $200. Bolted it to a pallet and covered it with cardboard. Little bit of work but worth it, FWIW

20. Gene, I am glad it fell short of the auction, should of taught him a GOOD lesson.Dont screw with GOOD people.! Bruce.

21. Mid eighties my Uncle (wrecking yard owner) bought one of these that had been smacked on one of the bed sides. Looked a bit for a quarter for it and discovered how rare the truck was. Figured he'd never find that panel for it and crushed it. Later found out about the station wagon trick.. I don't think he's forgiven himself yet.

I'm still not sure why he didn't pull the other side off. Maybe he's not as clever as I thought he was?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. scotts52

scotts52

How do you identify the engine size? Is it stamped on the block like the later ones? I have a 56 Royal that has a poly and pushbutton. It was wrecked in the early 60s and sat ever since. I'd be willing to sell the engine and tranny.

23. 73RR

73RR

Yup, Fastenal. I shipped an engine from OR to MI for $250.

Remember that the ID code is stamped in the block. Info on my website: http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=8

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

25. Arominus

Arominus

The 56 dodge engine should be a 315.

26. scotts52

scotts52

I am thinking it is a 315. I knew at one time. It's buried in snow right now.
    Well, if you're interested in it for your project I'm willing to sell it.

27. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I owned 3 Sweptlines and kept the OD out of my 1958. I always wanted a Sweptside! Beautiful trucks for sure. Good find, I just wish that I had a Dodge poly to offer you. But in Fresno, Turner's auto wrecking has a bunch of early Poly's for the Dodge/Red Ram group. It is worth the 100 Acre exploration! Good luck, sounds like a fun project.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Great looking truck, you did extremely well!!

29. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

no cryin

I drive by this one twice a day. When I asked 4 years ago, it was not for sale.

I apologize for poor picture quality. When I go buy it for $350, I will take better pictures!

Attached Files:

classiccarjack likes this.
  30. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Super rare "DODEG"

CBurne7 likes this.