Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2017 AMBR Contenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 26, 2017.

1. If I was a judge, I'd have to excuse myself, on the grounds that I couldn't pick one over another.
    Best line up I think I've ever seen.

2. GeeRam

GeeRam

My favourite from the photos is that lovely met.lilac coloured RPU by Goolsby Customs.......that's sweet :cool::cool:

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like this one. Gary
    [​IMG]

JOYFLEA, biggeorge, 19Eddy30 and 5 others like this.
  4. oj

oj

Tough choices, I really like the RPU's this year, something about the proportions. I really am sick and tired of that 'frumpy-rumpily' look of the softtop roadsters. They can do better than that. The body/coachwork is impeccable with the worlds best interior craftsmen fussing over each stitch and they top it with the equivalent of Cannons' Trenchcoat?

5. ^^^I'm with Gary on the blue p.u.

6. May very well be but in the photo it looks black and that's the only photo I have seen of this car,never the less it's a beauty.HRP

7. Perhaps this write-up by John Drummond {@John D} (with photo by Michael Harrington {@Buick59}) will help to clarify:

Scott Hawley\'s (Glen Begor) Deuce Roadster.jpg
    -Scott Hawley, 1932 Ford Roadster

Scott Hawley, Burlingame, CA – “Back in ‘47” ’32 Ford Roadster

Northern California’s Scott Hawley {@Scott Hawley / @hawleywood1} has turned out a steady stream of stunners mostly from the Roy Brizio stable but this flawless Brookville-bodied roadster was purchased from the estate of Glen Begor who had the car 75 percent complete before he passed away last year. Hawley and his partner Joe Rebozzi finished up the build together adding all original Henry steel from the cowl forward. After it was smoothed, both Darryl Hollenbeck {@hollenbeck32} and Darryl Schneider shot the custom mixed Washington Blue.

The tobacco brown leather interior is by Nor-Cal kingpin Sid Chavers {@Hotrodstitcher} as is the custom “Bop Top” with polished stainless buttons. Many factory original hot rods parts were used here including the ’40 Ford dash, column and steering wheel as well as original OEM brakes. Front & rear buggy springs are from Posies while Pete & Jake’s supplied the charged gas shocks. It sits perfect on a Super Bell dropped axle and thumps pretty good too courtesy of a throaty 383c.i. Chevy with T10 Borg Warner 4-speed. Original builder Glen Begor was born in 1947 hence the car’s name.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Scott Hawley likes this.
  8. There isn't much room at all - the fan is pretty close to the radiator and I had to keep the oil pan behind the steering tie rod and drag link - they are very close - Maybe you can see it better here.
    #41.jpg

TerrytheK, 63fdsnr, Allmotor and 3 others like this.
  9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

The Packard is as classy as it gets but... it's more Pebble Beach than AMBR. Just my opinion.

10. WOW! This IS the best line up in years! All GREAT cars! The Packard is beyond cool, but the RPU's do steal the show for me. All are great and any of these are deserving.
    If this keeps up I might have to actually GO again one of these years.

11. the Goolsby's RPU is so bitchin!

seadog likes this.
  12. The Hollenback PU is VERY COOL, but I'm leaning toward this early-60's weird version.it is different.
    [​IMG]

13. That purple/blue RPU is freakin' beautiful! definitely my pick based on these pictures.

A lot of black going on this year..

14. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks for the post. Snowman

15. Larry T

Larry T

I know it'd be different in person, but the black cars and black wheels all kinda run together in pictures.

Not my favorite, but my pick to win from the pictures would be After Shock.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  16. Sweet Jesus! That is a really nice line-up. I'm especially diggin on the Muroc Roadster and the blue RPU. I'll be there on Sunday. Can't wait to see 'em in person!

17. DANG
    THATS SOME SEXY STUFF

18. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

It looks like this year's cars are following the lead of last year's surprise winner. Keep it traditional and clean.

19. Had the privilege to see Gord Gray,s car at a barbecue in Victoria before Deuces Days last year,fell in love with this one,got my vote,beautiful execution and workmanship.

Attached Files:

20. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Finally some roadsters that look like roadsters. Nice line up this year. Hollywood Hotrods entry is outstanding. The way that top goes down is amazing.

21. 32Stoker

32Stoker

I was at the show today and my favorites up close were the Gord Gray 32 and Fool's Goldster. Several of the cars were more appealing than last year's winner.

denis4x4 likes this.
  22. I was there all day yesterday. I have to say that the last years winner is still a bitchin looking car and he drives it. Up close the Packards roof is way too small. It show best with the top down. I feel the roof proportioning is too small for the size of the car. Rick dore has a silver car there on the other side that's looks similar but the roof has a way better proportion. The muroc roadster was unreal badass. The black jack was very interesting. 2 speed rearend lift off canvas top and very well done. There was also a Washington blue roadster that was rad. All in all I feel like this show is turning back the clock on the ambr. It's going back to when it all started like in the 30s and 40s. Yes the red Packard was the talk of the show but they will not drive that car the route of 66. The last years winner is still my pick because he gets out there and drives it. Just my thoughts. Oh and wow am I glad to see some real roadsters there. This show should also state that the car has to be driven for let's say 1000 miles on a tour lap. Then we can real see what falls off and who makes it.

The37Kid likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll be there Saturday, still have the Packard picked to win, but would like the blue RPU in my garage. Bob

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looks good but the filler neck looks a little goofy.

catdad49 and WiredSpider like this.
  25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like that one as well but I got over black about forty years ago. I need COLOUR!

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looking at the posted shots at the beginning of the thread I'm torn between that violet roadster pickup, Gord Grays, and Aftershock. If Aftershock was totally all hand formed it could be a surprise winner as there are a lot of hot rods there this year and it is AMBRoadster show after all.

27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

The little blue pic up reminds me of the monogram model that built a bunch, Blue Beetle. All are very cool!!!

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If we're judging, personally removed from what we would want in our garages, I still have to pick the Packard. My background might give me an edge in a small way. I've seen dozens of Packard rod builds in one form or another. Only 2 in all these years left a permanent smile of approval. D'Agostino's "Gable" and this year's "Mulholland Speedster". Probably the most difficult car to modify and get right but those 2 pulled it off, and both reflect different times and approaches too. Gable looks like what Dutch Darrin "thought" he was building (sorry Darrin fans, the 1st ones were rough cars). Here's Gable if you've never seen it, courtesy of google images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mr Wanta, Troy and his crew at Hollywod Hot Rods have paid respectful vision and craftsmanship to the renowned coachbuilders of the 30s. I see inspiration and homage to the likes of Brunn and maybe a bit of Bohman and Schwartz too, yet today's eye and imagination spiced with just enough rebellion to call it a hot rod. Below are a couple shots of a Brunn roadster on a Lincoln 12 and a Bohman and Schwartz design on a Duesenberg, again courtesy of google images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe it is indeed my background and studies that open these thoughts to that car. Truth be told they may have never even heard of those coachbuilders (I doubt that) or it didn't enter into the concept. And I wouldn't call anything they did a copy either. Still, to take a big car like a Packard and balance the components like they did, I'm very impressed. As much as I might get a tomato thrown at me for saying it, I would change 2 things. 1st, the name on the title to mine, 2nd, I'd add bumpers. The bumper thought really IS my background talking. All of this and $1.79 will get you a large Speedway coffee, but it's just what I see and have been looking forward to since revealed in bare metal. Awesome work and best of luck fellas, you earned it.
    Brief edit: big props to Eric Black as well. His work makes me want to mortgage my ass to the hilt and build em all! Exponential talent...

I also really love the blue roadster PU. The kind of rod that just makes you smile. Love the instrument panel.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    cretin, T-roaster, stanlow69 and 4 others like this.
  29. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Luv 'em all!!!