Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting upside down anyone?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 55Thunderboy, Jan 27, 2017.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

im sure im not the only one who has struggled with this by not having a lift or autotwirler to spin the car on, any techniques or DIY to spray paint upside down with a rattle can or spray gun?

working on trying to Raptor the bottom of two of my cars and so far it has become the biggest and messiest job i ever tried, as i tip the gun the stuff pours out from the vent hole all over my hands and face and this stuff doesnt come off easily. i stopped the job for now until i figure out what to make of this. I dont want to brush it on i want to just shoot it without the torture

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You have to at least raise the car on jack stands as spray cans and guns won't work upside down. Gravity is hard to beat.

Attached Files:

3. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Faceshield and let er rip

4. there are plastic zipper bags that can be used with gravity feed guns. they use a plastic hollow point that gets inserted into the bottom of the bag and gets pressed, through the bag, into the hole at the bottom of the cup. you then zip the bag, hold the gun upside down [air hose disconnected] and pull the trigger to get all the air out of the bag. when you see a steady flow of paint it is ready. i always tape the lid shut just in case but you can spray in any direction.

5. Torchie

Torchie

This is my technique.
    Get the car up in the air as high as you can. Laying on my back (On a creeper if possible)I spray the areas that are as far away from my body as possible. Kind of looks like I'm raising my arm straight up over my head. Then I slide myself out from under the car continuing to spray. Face shield and a do-rag are required.
    Torchie

6. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

Not the solution you are probably looking for but.... Pressure fed spray guns exist. The 2 quart variety are quite popular.

Sent from my VS990 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. You can shoot it at an angle-it's tricky but do-able- or use a roller -which is likely the easiest and less mess . If it is a textured finish anyway- it will be fine. Doesn't sound like you are going to display this car with mirrors showing the underbelly or propped up on a turn table- so chances are from the angle most will view it from - it will look just fine.

Drive Em

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

millersgarage likes this.
  9. The 3M PPS system allows you to spray at any angle including updside down

30TudorSedan likes this.
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh, the paint pot

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

13. Bingo

This isn't a bad unit at all, just grabbed one late last week and it's sprayed a lot better than decent. Take it apart and clean it thoroughly before you use it.

It won't stuff that you need a schutz gun for. Try a 90 on the end

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  14. BJR

BJR

How do they do it in Australia?

millersgarage, kbgreen and 41 C28 like this.
  15. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

with very attractive women.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

put the car on a rotisserie, maybe the plywood wheel type

17. 41 C28

41 C28

painting vertical f10.jpg

18. Canuck

Canuck

Spraying Raptor on underside of my coupe.

IMG_0029.JPG
    Was able to move it outside and spray. Did the underside of the fenders outside as well. Was surprised at the lack of overspray from the supplied gun, don't know about the overhead use though.

Good luck

Canuck

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We Raptored the underside of a 45' drop trailer a few months ago, it sucked. Jack one side up as high as you can, spray as much as possible. Raise the other side and repeat. You could also try raising the front and rear of the car.

20. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

i just bought the paint pot posted in this thread, thanks so much for showing this to me, i think this makes a great solution to this problem. For guys who used these paint pots how much of a PITA is it to properly clean the hoses and all? is it just a mater of running some thinner through it or it will require much more than that to maintain for future use?

21. metalman

metalman

Not sure Raptor would go thru a regular paint gun, even a pressure feed. They use what we use to call a Schultz gun.
    I've done it before just like Torchy described, doable but still messy. Rotisserie is nice but not everything I do the underside gets put on it. Get it as high as you can, invest in some tall jack stands if you have to.

Torchie and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  22. millersgarage

millersgarage

it is a full car, or just the body?
    I got some semi inner tubes, blew them up, and rolled the body on it's side for my Model A.
    I've also seen guys use an engine crane, or fork lift, and get the car at more of a 45 degree angle front to back. That way you're not laying under it.

23. For you "No Compressor" guys.....
    I was just noticing earlier today that Rust-oleum has some spray cans that can paint at any angle, 360 degrees, upside down and backwards. The colors are limited, mostly metallic specialty finishes. The cans have a wonky, slanted top so you'll know them when you see them. I think they're labeled "Universal".
    Spraying the whole underside of a vehicle is probably not a good match for this product and would use a bunch of costly spray cans. But for smaller projects that have a lot of odd angles it might work well. I plan to try it the next time I have a piece that I can hang from a hook and hit under and over all the nooks and crooks in one stage.