Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford 3 window Coupe..What to do?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jan 26, 2017.

1. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

I'm about 3 things on any car I work on 1st stopping so I would keep the brakes 2nd cruising and engine RPM so I would keep the trans or go with a 1939 trans with a Columbia or zephyr with an overdrive. 3rd 40s-50s traditional so pull the SB and put a flathead and go bias-ply tires or the new radial that looks bias. But that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  2. If it were my dilemma, I would probably keep the drivetrain and brakes, change the wheels/tires and cherry out that body with a nice paint job and nice interior.

Hnstray and Fordgasser1 like this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

Dump the chev, put a flatty in it or at least some kind of Ford. It's not all about speed. But like others have said, do what makes YOU happy.

Dave

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

That was in my thoughts as well..I located a 34 chassis (with running flathead) that could slide right under this body and sell off the chassis that is under it..The body was already off this chassis when the previous owner put the SBC in it so it will come off without much fuss.

Squablow likes this.
  5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

It has crossed my mind!..

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yes,I have and had a bunch of them..This is my last one. 276 inch flathead with Mc culloch supercharger. image.jpg

7. Hombre

Hombre

Man O Man what a find. I love flatheads I mean I really love Flathead motors, but in that car there is no way I would ever change out that Small Block. I mean that car just screams Old School and is very cool start changing it and you just may lose that.

And for gads sake when can we get off of that Ford in a Ford crap. These old cars we mess around with are Hot Rods not restored Classic's. In Hot Rodding you are supposed to change stuff, back in the day if the cat building a car had the money the first damn thing to go was the engine, and he used the best and biggest engine he could find. That is why we see Caddys and Oldsmobile and Chevrolet and Hemi's motors in so many cars. They did it to make them faster and quicker and didn't give a flying fart which manufacture name was on the thing.

slinginrods, Tim and Fordgasser1 like this.
  8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If it had a 350 Chevy instead of a 283, I'd swap out the 350 for either an early Olds, Caddy, or Nailhead Buick, or a 283 Chevy......Or perhaps a built flathead. However, since it's a 283, I'd keep the engine and swap the T-5 for a good wide ratio Muncie 4 speed. 283's are great engines. 350's, I can live without.

Don't care for disc brakes, so they would go away. What does it have for a rear axel?

Fordgasser1 and Hombre like this.
  9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

No Ford engine , Hell give it to Good Will for a good tax brake ! Ha ha , I'm not a GM power train person . But if it's there and it works , drive it till it gives up the chase ! About the brush paint ,I had a 48 F1 , SBF , C4 powered , brush painted with John Deere , black . Drove the wheels off of it , and enjoyed my hot rod ! Honestly put 70k miles trouble free miles of super fun on that truck . I look back and can say I wish I never put gloss paint on my 3w , to much "Fun" to clean, shine, watch over , when I could be driving and enjoying it more . Up to you , it's yours but what you have is pretty bullet proof , drive it enjoy it till it dies then rebuild as you see fit , just as long as you Ford power it ! Ha ha !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1blown57, Fordgasser1 and rollinsixes like this.
  10. Yep - get it done . . .

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  11. mountainman2

mountainman2

OK....let's "think traditional".

It's 1957 and Joe Hotrodder gets his hands on a '34 3-window coupe. Previous owner has already swapped in one of them NEW Chevy 283 engines (btw, there were no SBC's in '57).

Do you really think this question about swapping engine back to a flathead would have ever come up in 1957?

Brakes ????? We now get into The Question; are discs ever traditional or just tolerated?

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Flat motors are not cheap to build. And you can't get parts everywhere like a SBC. If you drive it a lot. I have a flathead in my tub and a SBC in my roadster, and drive them both. I would drive it just like it is and enjoy it. Frank

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    verde742 and Fordgasser1 like this.
  13. The Chassis swap idea is a good one for running a flathead. I see it un-chopped, nose down a bit and the fenders and hood cleaned up with the Ardun heads and that S.C.oT blower. Unassuming looking then when you pull up the hood sides all that awesome pours out. Killer ride man!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  14. Hmmmm - yah mean one of these combos . . . that would work . . . yank that SBC out fast! LOL
    Ardun-HilbornInjector2 copy-small.jpg
    2014-02-02 17.53.06.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  15. Oh yeah! George knows whats up when it come to 33 34 fords and flat motors, When he builds the flathead for this one, it will be impressive. His 5 window posted up top was awesome! and i did see him beat Brian Bass at TROG in it!

16. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Ya! I got some of them too!..This is what SHOULD be in the 3 window in my opinion. ardun 019.JPG prts 019.JPG

17. Well.... if you have that stuff, then I would change my decision to go with the Ardun. It was made for that kind of car..

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sorry , George. Try not to get too depressed.
    I just got a new car myself, and don't know what to do! HaHa
    Here's what George does to innocent little flatheads; DSCN1591.JPG DSCN2443.JPG

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Paint it black.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You KNOW what that car wants dude!!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

George you know you don't have to ask what I think, but for giggles since the ardun has been brought up, and you probably won't put the big SOHC injected Ford in there...
    Paint it piss yellow make it a gasser with a sbc/blower/mag wheels and then ask us to chop or not to chop, LOL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yeah buddy! .I think you just made up my mind, Andy..Build another chassis for this with my flathead stuff and swap it out.

I got a sick feeling that if i put that blown Ardun in it,then its gonna lose the fenders and need a heavy chop by Kohler Kustoms!.
    No hatemail please!.

NOOOOO WAAAYYYY Wyatt!!..I already have too many piss yellow cars that I must repaint (I hate yellow!)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    waxhead and thunderbirdesq like this.
  23. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I feel your pain,Mike!..I do,my brother!

24. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yes,I agree..I told the previous owner I was not a fan of the disc brakes either on a traditional car..My 33 coupe had a full set of aluminum finned Buick drums with F-2 brakes and would stop on a dime!
    This car has a 34 banjo rear,converted to open drive with disc brakes.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. kiteloop

kiteloop
    from chatel

do not change !!! juste a flathead ,juice brakes, and drive it

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  26. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

Traditional hot rods are nice...I love them...but each should reflect the owner....I don't believe any traditional hot rodder of the day would have snubbed his nose to better performance...actually I kinda think it would have been a race to be the first to out perform the next guy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  27. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

Not to comply to a can and can not do....situation, it was and in my eyes always has been as a car guy to make your bitch perform in the fashion you see it in your own vision.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  28. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

Build it the way you vision it....not the way anyone else see it

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. Leakie

Leakie

Sell it to me, I will take the pressure of your dilemma off. There, now doesn't that feel better?

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  30. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

make me an offer.