Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PCV Valve with no oil filler neck breather... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harris73085, Jan 27, 2017.

1. harris73085

harris73085

I know there are a lot of threads on here that touch on this topic, and I have searched a lot of them and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I have '62 SBC that I am running a PCV valve out of the back of the block to the carb with no oil filler neck filter. To be truthful, I have no oil filler neck. My question is will this set up work? Am I going to run into unexpected crank case pressure and create leaks? If there is already a thread that answers this, please point me in that direction.

Thank you,

2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Where do you add your oil to your engine? I assume you remove a cap of some sort from a valve cover, pour in oil and replace the cap. Replace the cap (It may have OIL or 710 written on it already) and replace it with a filtered breather. A lot of people put a filtered breather in one valve cover and the pcv valve in the other valve cover.

fourspeedwagon and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. Jacob helms

Jacob helms

Well from what i know the only problem would be trying to get oil in it.

Sent from my LGLS740 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. mopar362000

mopar362000

If you running it back to where the roaddraft tube would have it will fine.Do you still have canister under intake.Jmmie King

5. Fordors

Fordors

With a PCV valve you will need a supply of fresh air into the crankcase to properly vent. Sounds like you have either a later model intake or an aftermarket one with no hole for the oil fill. I'd get a set of stock valve covers that have the internal baffles and add a breather. As an alternative you could add Moon, or Offenhauser style aluminum breathers to your covers.

Ed Angel and lurker mick like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

You need a different intake,or different valve covers.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. The method of attaching the crankcase vent to the carb base as you have described is fine. This will pull the air out of the engine crankcase, but how will the "replacement" air get in?

Basically your milkshake straw is clogged.

pat59 likes this.
  8. harris73085

harris73085

I have original turbo fire valve covers with no breather or cap. As said above by Fordors, I have an aftermarket intake that came with the engine that isn't drilled for the oil filler neck.

9. harris73085

harris73085

This is what i'm worried about. Will that cause any unforseen problems, or do I have to change intake, or drill out the one I have, or will everything be ok as is.

10. Fordors

Fordors

It is possible to use a hole saw and modify the intake, if you want to keep your present valve covers that is the route I'd take.

ss39667chevelle likes this.
  11. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Early 62 sbc. What are "turbo fire" valve covers? How do you add oil to your motor if there no openings in your valve covers or intake manifold?

Blues4U likes this.
  12. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...look at the attached pic the cap on the valve cover has a filter in it,..the other valve cover has the pcv valve in it,...this set up has been running like it for about 6 years now,...miller

Attached Files:

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Sounds like the present setup provides no way to add oil (stamped v/c's, no oil tube intake),that's your first problem. When you figure out where to add oil, put a baffled breather cap there.

Blues4U and wraymen like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

Many have removed a valve cover to add oil, all depends what the equipment on the engine is and how resourceful you are.
    But really, all this is just a thread hi-jack.

15. Problems indeed. The air needs to enter the block before it can be pulled out. And if it isn't pulled out you get moisture and all other sorts of nastiness in your engine. As mentioned above, vent the valve covers or the intake to allow air into the crankcase.

A valve cover swap would be the easiest fix.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well with no place to put oil in he won't have a problem with oil leaks. May have a real bad rod knock problem but no oil leaks.
    I had to go look to see what these "Turbofire" valve covers were
    Plain old 327 valve covers with a space for a turbofire decal in the middle
    [​IMG]
    There is a crap load if different decals depending on how accurate you need to be or how much you need to impress the mouth breathers at car shows. "Wow Bub, dis one has a 350 hp 327 in it"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Plain 327 version.

If you are bent on keeping the valve covers you will have to remove the intake and if the casting is set to cut the hole for the filler tube get the manifold cut to install a filler tube that will take a breather cap.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    slowmotion and Blues4U like this.
  17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

What is the brand/model of intake manifold? On some of them, there is a little flat place on the font of the manifold where a hole can be drilled for a oil tube. This is the route I would go.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

could add aftermarket bolt on style breather to valve cover - see summitracing.com, etc - post pic of your current set up - where do you have PCV tube connected?

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Besides needing make up air as said already there's another issue. Providing that the engine is in tip top shape the vacuum from your PCV can create a negative pressure situation in the crank case. If left alone it can start to suck gasket's inward because the outside of the engine has more pressure on in than inside. Once the gasket slides you've got a leak which ever way you wanna look at. It'll now suck air or leaks oil out of the crankcase somewhere.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: I like how this thread has gone on this long and the original poster has basically ignored the part about how he will add oil to an engine with no way to do so. :rolleyes:

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Your looking at it all wrong. Once he get's the air to go back in he'll notice that oil can enter also. [​IMG]

Blue One likes this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

My question how long does it take you to pour a quart of oil down the dip stick tube?

fourspeedwagon and Moriarity like this.
  23. The root of this problem is the wrong intake.

harris73085 likes this.
  24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

25. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

when an engine is new the carb/intake vacuum is designed to suck crankcase fumes in and burn them. It should have an air intake into crankcase somehow, usually the filler tube breather or a elbow pipe from air cleaner to valve cover.

if your dipstick tube isn't air tight, it will work for the air intake.

at higher RPM and when an engine gets older cylinder compression blows by into crankcase and the PCV valve can't keep up. If your engine is tight because of no "breather" it will find a place to push the oil fumes and oil out.
    I've seen a dipstick get blown out before......

not the easiest, but you could add oil thought dipstick :)

nice fix would be drill the intake for on of these;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    harris73085 likes this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Speaking of dipsticks, I'm beginning to think that might describe someone. :D
    I shouldn't say who, but he has an engine that he can't put oil in :D

56shoebox, wraymen and i.rant like this.
  27. He didn't like the answers so he's gonna ignore it in the hope that a miracle will touch his engine.

williebill likes this.
  28. kma4444

kma4444

I think the plan is to let the pcv pull a good strong vacuum and then just pour the oil over the engine and let it get pulled in the crankcase.

williebill and Johnny Gee like this.
  29. Eiy yie yie!

DIYGUY likes this.
  30. harris73085

harris73085

I just pull the pcv and fill from the back of the block. Doesn't take long at all.

So from what I've seen here, the helpful people say yes, needs an inlet for fresh air or else I'll have other issue. So yes, I either need to drill the one I have (it has a flat casting spot where the oil filler neck should go) or but a new one that already has the oil filter neck hole drilled.

Yes, by the turbo fire valve covers I should have just said sealed with no inlets for pcv or breather to avoid confusion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app