Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Merc custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Its time. My driver is ready to build into a full custom. The idea is to fix all of the rust and then start doing some custom touches to it. I've been thinking about putting a Merc flathead in it but im not sure. The only other motor that would be really nice to get for this car imo is a 348 or 409. But man do they cost alot.
    I will be walking a fine line between a hotrod and a custom in some ways because i want to add some styling cues from a 32 and 36 and a 39 and... Hahaha.
    Ok really I do have a couple ideas that may work on this. But first things first. And thats rust, floors, trunk, molded fenders, peaked hood and onto the chop.
    So let me know if i am doing things the wrong way as i go! I have some questions but im diving into this.
    I almost dont want to do this work because the car wont be a driver anymore... But oh well huh?
    So anyone ever seen a 41 with a rumble seat and chrome 36 wires? Or is that too crazy?
    Anyway, this weekend is the tear down. And will be posting pics of the progress.
    IMG_1091 (2).JPG IMG_1074 (2).JPG IMG_1070 (2).JPG IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1091 (2).JPG IMG_1074 (2).JPG IMG_1070 (2).JPG IMG_1073.JPG

2. Kinda in a quandary here after reading your profile page. Don't know if you know that that Merc is something that needs to be done nicely...Not fucked up...Rumble seat???? chrome wire wheels?????
    Think more about it after you come back to earth...

3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you for your service! I am glad you survived your wounds! I usually don't say too much about peoples plans for their car but will say something this time. I think a rumble seat is not a good idea and that the early wire wheels would look odd on this car.

I hope you have a good time with your project and wish you great success!

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  4. Beyond stupid. But that's just me.

Dodgejodge likes this.

5. Looks like you have a nice solid car to start with. That being said,

Im no trying to sound like a dick!!,

BUT

don't try to reinvent the wheel. The custom design that people have been doing to this body style for years is amazing.
    You can't improve on it.
    The lines and style of that car are so beautiful, use them to your advantage. I like chrome wires too, but they would look really odd on that car.

Cosmo50 and Jonnie King like this.
  6. brady1929

brady1929

Ohhh she's got a nice butt!

7. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yeah I know its crazy. And I may not do it but I want to see how people think these days. I want to see what people can handle because the customs from before were super crazy but grew on people after a bit of time. Like cadillac tail lights! I actually still look at those bullet lights and think, Nah, not for me. But man do people like them.
    So im ok with going the extra mile early for this car and see what people think of a rumble seat idea. And im gonna find a car thats past 1939 thats got one!!!! Internet time!!!
    And i will be doing this car as nice as humanly possible. Really debating gas welding and lead.
    Ready to take the heat.
    Thanks. to the brave who will chime in.

brEad and Outback like this.
  8. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Carefull. I will MAKE you like this car one day Joey. :) Watch.

brEad likes this.
  9. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Just sayin. Whats the biggest difference from a 41 and this 37? It may work really well.. or not... but i may just have to cross this road for a chance at a great car. rumble seat.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    OzMerc39 likes this.
  10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Thanks for your service. Frank 1st Cav. 545 MP Co. 64-66

11. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Likewise 1-SHOT... Thanks for yours!

12. Perfect car for modifying! If I can offer a bit of a reminder regarding custom cars - the modifications were generally to "modernize" the car and add bits that would generally be seen on higher-end models (caddy caps, spots, skirts, etc.) so be careful of going backwards with pre-dated parts and accessories (rumble seats, earlier wheels, etc.) as these items will go against the principle reasons for customizing in the first place. No reason why innovation and creativity can't be used - I just wanted you to be aware of potentially going off track and having the car be overlooked in the end. Of course it's gonna be YOUR car to do as you please - I just wanted to give a bit of a "heads-up" before you veer off into uncharted territory.

Will watch this one with interest ('41s are favourites of mine - lol.).
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    brEad, eric54chevy, CadMad and 3 others like this.
  13. The word to remember is " subtle". You want to do modifications that will enhance the already nice body lines, not something outrageous. Here's my 41' Ford convertible. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. Outside of the chop, almost all the custom work was done in the fifties before I ever owned it. You want to mold in the headlights? 50' Chevy headlight rings. Nice clean look, not all bug eyed like some cars. Sometimes less is more. IMG_0584.JPG IMG_0598_2.JPG

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Are you sure you weren't shot in the head ? A stomach wound shouldn't have affected your judgement like this ...

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rumble seats worked in cars with open cockpits, (Roadsters/Cabriolets) and pre-1936 Coupes with roll down backlights (rear windows). Or render rumbleseat passengers 'incommunicado'...

If the car was a full custom, (chopped top, etc.) and had to have chrome wire wheels, they should be from the larger bodied cars, i.e. Buick Skylark, Chrysler Imperial, Cad Eldo, '60s T Bird.
    There were a few customs from the late '50s that pulled off chrome wires nicely.
    But a full bodied Merc with '35 Ford V8 wires? It'd look like it was being dollied on a Model A frame...

I've lived many years so far, and seen much. Ever since my 'formative' years. I recall:

See Dick cut. See Dick rumble. See Dick wire.
    Don't be a Dick.

16. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1094.JPG IMG_1093.JPG I think it can work if the seat and cover is chopped and rounded. Let it sink in! :)

Uribe, Runnin shine and oneratfink57 like this.
  17. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Completely agree man but i DO want to try to throw it back AND forward at the same time... May not make sense and be real tricky but i think i can pull it off.
    Well...

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Have you ever been in a rumble seat? If so you would know how hard they are to get in. Are you planning on putting steps across the backside of your car?

Spend your time doing the rust repair first. Then do some simple customizing. Then the top chop if you can still wait to drive again. Save the ridiculous mods for last.

As for chrome wires I could actually see that. But not '36 Ford wires. Use some mid-50's Cad or other big car wires.

falcongeorge and brigrat like this.
  19. 38mag

38mag

Just because you can dosen't mean you should!

Automotive Stud likes this.
  20. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

I think a rumble seat might be kinda cool but not the wire wheels

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yeah the wires are not right... I concede. (I don't ever give up so thats the code language for it)

22. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

WOW!!! Your the only one so far! It may get lonely though. I myself am ready to be in the very far and last row at the car show with nobody lookin.

slv63 likes this.
  23. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I think a rumble seat would be kind of cool. I vaguely remember seeing a 65 T-Bird in a magazine with one.
    I just did a Google search and a lot of 55 Birds came up with rumble seats. So there you go, something post 40's with a rumble seat.

24. adam401

adam401

^ This is probably the most inappropriate post I have seen on this forum. Disgusting.

I like your rendering with the rumble seat and chop. I'd cut that car in a heartbeat and never look back gonna be awesome. Good luck

Uribe, Outback, harpo1313 and 5 others like this.
  25. 'Mo

'Mo

This one-off 1948 Packard has both a rumble seat and a trunk!

(Photo courtesy Rudolph's Upholstery)

[​IMG]

26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Don't get tunnel vision, do lots of research.
    Ditch the expense & effort on the Rumble and put the effort into a nice, decked out Cad, Lincoln, Desoto, etc. engine.
    As far as the Wires save that for the electrical part of the build.

27. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I didnt take it bad at all. I know hes joking and i kinda laughed about it. Plus i was shot in the chest. Haha. No big deal. But thanks none the less.

rodncustomdreams and 302GMC like this.
  28. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Now that car is CRAZY!!! It would look sick if it was lowered in the back alot more. Wires too!!! Kelsey's?

29. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

No meanness intended. Some car guys screw around with each other, some can't take it ...

CadMad likes this.
  30. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

That car looks great the way it is. Maybe add some skirts, and a subtle chop( if done correctly), but it's a beaut the way it sits.
    Oh and btw, 36's wheels were wide five pattern. Not wire.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app