Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Winter is here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dwollam, Dec 8, 2016.

1. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

love it

2. Carz4sale

Carz4sale
    from New york

3. dwollam

dwollam

Man, I think this is looking familiar all over the country!

We had heavy wind last night that melted some snow away. Today it started raining hard. Hoping no floods. We have had snow on the ground since Dec 6th. A total of 64" so far I'm told. We had 2ft. on the roof that we shoveled off. The shop roof cleans itself most days and leaves a huge pile of ice and snow in front of the doors.

Dave

4. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks for the reminder Denny! I have a 10' Livingston out back. Might need it!

Dave

5. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Well we have been getting our fair share of snow here and obviously keeping very busy. Between losing power for five days and work it has been a full on start to the New Year. I run a set of different wheels with studded snow tires just for the winter, and if you think you get high fives and thumbs up for driving your rod in the summer just imagine what people think when I cruise around in our environment.
    A lot of tourists in our town, and they definitely get a kick out of seeing a Model A with studs on it.Sunday and Mondays forecast is for 3-4 feet here at the house! IMG_2715 2017.JPG IMG_2707 2017.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    LOU WELLS, biggeorge, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  6. mkebaird

mkebaird

Yikes! I'll quit complaining :D

7. pumpman

pumpman

We're at 57°, had rain for two days straight and have mini lake on the grounds because the ground still frozen. I think I'd rather deal with this then what rpkiwi is dealing with.

8. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Now that's what I call hardcore hotrodding.
    Cheers, Ron.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    MrPhat40 and Hamtown Al like this.
  9. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Well I wouldn't quite call it hard core rodding, but I decided after my last build that I wanted a rod to drive 12 months of the year not just 7.
    We are into about a foot and a half of our next dump, with a few more feet to go. Power has been out once again for the last 12 hours and now have a tree on the roof of the garage.
    Never a dull moment here in Truckee, just hoping that the trees will hang in there. IMG_2734 2017.JPG

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS, biggeorge, Jeff34 and 3 others like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hey RP,
    We had a heck of a story driving our old VW bug one winter from So Cal, through Mammoth/June up to Reno to visit some friends. But we needed to be in Tahoe for our rental there and went through Truckee to the Hiway 89. That was the most scary, slow driving we have ever done. 1st gear and possibly 2nd, but never to 3rd. We were next to diesel truckers using their air brakes every chance they got. Near Tahoe, we had to have chains in a driving storm. What a bunch of idiot 20's will do for some great skiing during a two week vacation. (Friday Art Show 12/23)
    Hang in there...Today, in So Cal, we are getting side ways rain and flooding is going to happen all over. The backyard furniture is blowing all over because of the strong 25+ mph winds. The ocean is no longer blue green, but brown from the runoff stuff. The eastern HAMBers just got our last week's worth of rain. Now, this big one is moving their way again, will probably hit in a couple of days. The next one for us is sitting out in the ocean ready to pounce.
    Stay warm,
    Jnaki
    As dry as So Cal is during the year, we have not watered our yard plants for a month and 1/2. It rains, lets up, rains, then on our allowed, watering day, rains again.

upload_2017-1-22_16-30-44.png

11. dwollam

dwollam

We had a pretty nice day today. Got up to 46 degrees so the wife and I shoveled and forked snow and ice 3 feet deep from in front of the shop doors. That's 3 feet of compacted snow and ice off the roof. At least now it should quit running into the shop.
    It was a weird day. Woke up to it raining, then snowed and made it white again, then it warmed up nice. Afraid to hope we are out of it.
    Sorry, no pics today. Maybe tomorrow.

Dave

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was not wanting to get up on the old shed out behind the garage to take it down to make room for my shop. Now Ma Nature made it so I can do most of it from the ground.
    [​IMG]
    So far my daughter and I have shoveled the 350+ ft driveway end to end 4 times this year to be able to get out and back in.
    [​IMG]
    Had to walk out in foot deep snow with a quarter inch layer of ice on top of it to get this photo of the wheel line.
    [​IMG]
    The 48 is sitting just about where it will in the new shop when the shop gets built. The shiplap you see in the walls of the shed will be the inside sheeting on the walls of the new shop to retain some of what my grandfather built years ago.
    [​IMG]

Now for the snow to go away so I can get started.

biggeorge, dwollam, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  13. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I love that you are going to reuse some of the old building. Will give your new shop character and heritage.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Flooding happened all over So Cal on Sunday. But here is a photo from the LB Press Telegram that just happened to show the corner of Caspian Ave and Coast Highway 101, just a couple of blocks down that street is where we used to live on Caspian. The LA River flood control channel water rises and sometimes blocks the drain pipes (from the neighborhoods) going out to the ocean. upload_2017-1-23_7-38-14.png
    In the OC, crazy people come out when it rains and floods...OC Register photo[​IMG]
    This is the boardwalk between the homes and the sand berm to the ocean. It does not matter how high they pile the sand berm, the wave and wind always wins. At least these outdoor fanatics are wearing wet suits and skull caps. But the water is totally polluted.
    Jnaki
    It takes all kinds of strange people to make up this funny world. Back to Long Beach: another idiot thought it would be cool to raft down the LA River...what idiocy...
    Update: The west is going to be dry for a while until the next big one waaay out in the ocean rolls in in a week or so. The east...you will be getting what we just had with tons of wind and rain. Get ready.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Spent almost all day yesterday under either a tornado watch or warning in the Florida Pan Handle. Not fun. Fortunately we had no problem but an Ace Hardware Store about 5 miles away got hit. Looks as if a bomb hit it. Seems as if many different areas of the country are experiencing some weather phenomenon.

Gary

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  16. dwollam

dwollam

We woke up to it snowing here again. I have to go climb a tower to see what happened to one of our internet access points that went down last night.

Dave

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-1-23_16-52-22.png upload_2017-1-23_16-52-39.png
    Hello,
    Ok, this is strange... just a few minutes ago, it was sunny and blue skies, then within seconds, down comes some hail...YES, hail on the sunny coast of So Cal. It lasted for several minutes, angled from the Northwest direction and pelted our windows to no end. It sounded like a motorized Gatling Gun with BB's firing for at least 5 minutes. Time enough for us to see what was happening... It reminded me of this...

"Whose that knocking at my door, have I heard that knock before
    Is it evil trying to get into my room.
    Who’s that tapping at my window, who’s calling me to go..."

We haven’t seen this amount of hail since 2011-12. You guys in the snow zone have it tough… We So Cal “coasties” only get hail at the most extreme, so far.

Jnaki

dwollam likes this.
  18. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

If you don't have enough snow, You're welcome to come get some of mine. That's not some bull nosed chopped 40's custom. It's a 70 Chevelle.
    cover1.jpg cover2.jpg

biggeorge, dwollam and jnaki like this.
  19. Good 'Ol Truckee CA. I had never seen so much snow in my lifetime until I went over to San Francisco a few years ago to pick up the 47 Hudson we had bought. It all started in Truckee and didn't end until I was nearly to Sacramento. By the way I am considering doing studded tires on my model a sedan also. But first it's got to get heat.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. That's a crazy amount of snow!

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Hard to believe its winter here in East T.N. Its been in the 60s for the past 2 weeks and even hit 65.They say that's all coming to an end here Thursday with the temps dropping and highs only around 40 then 38 for the high with some snow flurries here.Bruce.

22. Wow, looks like you have more than here in E'burg. Usually the other way around.

23. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

We had ice last week. Along the "I-44 Corridor" across central Missouri we tend to get more ice and freezing rain than snow. Anyway, the rains followed and washed the salt away. Last Friday I took my 57' Ford for a quick run after work. It was good therapy. WestboundIMG_1736.jpeg

dwollam likes this.
  24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

. Or having washed your fenderless rod, and on the way to the event you realize you must drive through some softball team's soapy CAR WA$H water flowing across both lanes of main street...

dwollam likes this.
  25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I had enough of the white stuff when I lived in Colorado, experienced several blizzards with 6-7ft drifts..
    000_1791.JPG
    Now I know it is winter in the desert when I have to pump the gas a few times to start my '55 Chevy....
    20160207_174013.jpg

55zephyr, biggeorge, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  26. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

IMG_2738-1 2017.JPG Jnaki I far prefer the snow rather than that amount of rain any day. We fortunately are prepared for snow and generally do a very good job of dealing with it. These latest blasts were just a little more out of the norm than what we are used to seeing, as it had a mix of rain initially in it as well.
    Racer 29 heat is on my list for the A but at the moment am more than happy just to be getting out in it.Am presently working on some clip on fenders to stop the slush from spraying up the sides. IMG_1475.JPG

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hey RPK,
    I am impressed with the neatness in the snow mound edges on your driveway and other photos. You are a carving stylist for sure. Those skinny fenders remind me of the ones that were on my old Harley motorcycle. Cool curves and rolled edges... upload_2017-1-25_5-53-59.png

Truckee is to me, the place where we always ran into some sort of snow. You are to be commended for the location. That is a tough time during the winter. The summer driving from Salt Lake City to San Francisco was a great drive on Highway 80.
    Jnaki
    Our "Hailman" lasted for one whole day until it was a small puddle.

biggeorge likes this.
  28. dwollam

dwollam

Monday we got dumped on again. Was supposed to be 2" that would melt off by the end of the day. Still here today and if fact got dusted again early this morning. My wife is a Rural Mail Carrier and she sent me a pic of the white out she was driving in. Ugly. I'm clear past wishing I hadn't even started this thread!! Cursed myself I think!

Dave

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

so tired of the weather, stuck in doors, getting hit hard again in SE WA :rolleyes:
    Should be able to build two hot rods this summer, with all this built up energy.

30. noboD

noboD

That's OK Dave, you keep that crap up there with you. We have had several 1/4 inch loads, mostly gone in an hour. I'm ready for spring!! How does the screenside do in it?