Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 ford 2 door ...what is it called?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turboroadster, Jan 23, 2017.

1. I have searched and searched and can not locate anywhere that describes the 49 ford shoebox styles, as in, what do i have here?
    titled as a 49, it has original fenders inside cab, but think its a 50 grill?
    is it a:
    business coupe? did they make one?
    2 door sedan?

49 ford.jpg
    49 ford.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Business coupe to me.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if Ford is like Chevrolet then the "business coupe" did not come with a back seat, and had a little platform there where the seat was. otherwise it is a club coupe. Ford catalogs show a club coupe and business coupe, business coupes have "storage behind the front seat".. no pictures.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

4. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

5. It's a coupe.if there is a seat in the back it's a club coupe if not it's a business coupe.

[​IMG]

BTW,that's a 66 Ford truck beside it. HRP

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

A true Business Coupe has the front split bench with the rear platform. Also it does not have opening rear quarter windows. My Business Coupe had the chrome spear down the side with Custom on the spear point.
    Your car is a coupe. It has the short roof and long truck with only a quarter window. If it has no hardware for opening the window it's likely a business coupe.
    Tudor Sedans has a longer roof, short trunk and a quarter window that rolled down with a smaller wing type window.

scrap metal 48, i.rant and verde742 like this.
  7. First, it can be a Custom or a Deluxe, depending on trim.
    Second, it will either be a "Club Coupe" .... with a rear seat or a "Business Coupe" .... without a factory rear seat.
    As an example, a Ford Custom Club Coupe.

verde742 likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

For some money you can [could have] get a rear seat in a Business coupe when bought new...My neighbor that I bought [$20] a Business coupe from who bought it new got it with a rear seat [same as club coupe] cause he had kids and it cost like $53 which he was still crying about 18 years later!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. That's a 2 door sedan body # 70A.....the Club coupe or business man's coupe had the short roof - long trunk....CC was body # 72A and BMC was 72C ....body #.......

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That is a short roof.

lurker mick likes this.
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Look close. The car the OP posted is a Coupe. It has the long trunk and short roof.

12. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

49 Ford Coupe, long tulip panel, short roof, swing away door handles.

50 grill, it wraps around the fenders and has the heavy "platforms" with the marker lights in them.

Thankfully you are to far away for me to get it or I would be pestering you to no end to put it in my garage.

"Please Mr. Turboroadster,,,, I need that car like I need another hole in my head. I have drilled holes in my head for no reason at one time or another so would you please give me a good deal?"

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's a 1949 Coupe....The car that saved Ford.
    49s had gas cap, 50s had a fuel filler door. 49s had twist door handles, a large twist truck handle that mimicked the front bullet. 50s had push button door handles and a handles under a valance.
    49s had FORD over the bullet, 50s had the Ford crest in a badge. 49s had parklights at the end of the grille spears, 50 had parklights lower in a housing.
    Funny how things are My 50 Business Coupe was my favorite. This is the only photo I have of it. [​IMG]

i.rant likes this.
  14. 49s had sexy trunk hinges and 50s had clunky ones. 49s said F O R D across the front of the hood and 50s had a ford emblem. 49 deluxes had chrome "suspenders' on either side of the insturment cluster and 50 deluxes had hokey ass chrome potmetal triangles at the extreme ends of the dash. Standards had neither.
    I loved my 49 coupe...BTW, mine was a club coupe.
    rockboxnscotty.jpg

15. Id make ya a good deal, come get it. pm me.

16. belair

belair

It's hard for me to tell from the angle, but that looks like a sedan wither rear vent window removed.

17. rear side windows have no roll down capability. no glass in there, but looks like it never had regulators and the body has a lip for glass install.
    EDIT: I went out and looked, it has the mounting spots for hinges to open rear quarter glass, a lot of chrome window trim is laying inside, so maybe its a fancy version club coupe.
    I was gonna radius the wheelwells and build a straight axle hot rod out of it. I dont know much about the fords obviously. Its a solid but rusty car car, if someone wants it I'll build something else. clear texas title and solid floors, much better set of front fenders inside car. 1k come get it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's a Business Coupe. Club Coupes had pop out windows, Business Coupe quarter windows were fixed.
    Business Coupes to this day are considered trucks by Allstate Insurance. The Business Coupe was listed as a utility vehicle. Allstate interprets that as a truck.

19. Holy hell guys, it's a 49 ford coupe. The short roof and The gas cap on drivers rear quarter panel is a dead give away 49 plus the trunk hinges, the door handles DONT swing like the trunk handle they open like a old refrigerator. And it's got a 50 front grill. It also looks like it might have a 51 ford crestliner steering wheel but might just be the angle of the picture. It's got surface rust grey to blueish front fenders, missing bumpers headlights tail lights trunk handle all the glass and some minor other parts. Sorry but I'm a shoebox lover. And I have a kustom unfinished 49 2 door sedan. Sectioned 4", 54 kaiser fish mouth grill chopped and building a stroked 49 merc motor. So yea I love shoeboxes.

20. Darn hard to confuse a coupe with a sedan.........
    restored-1949-ford-sedan-tudor-1.JPG

flatheadpete and paintslinger805 like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for another look at what they are called check Northern California craigslist: gold country>for sale>cars & trucks-by owner / 1949 Ford Club Coupe

22. you got that right. That's a great color on that car I love it.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

crestlinerskirts.jpg I have 8 sedans, wish I had a coupe

24. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Ford made 50 changes to the 49 Ford for 1950. I guess it was a marketing ploy. Don't ask me to name them all. Some have already been mentioned. Somewhere I've got a brochure with them all listed.

I should get my 50 Sedan back on the road.

I do have the business coupe rear tray if anyone is interested.

25. come get it if ya want it. Otherwise its gonna be born again as a drag strip queen :)

26. belair

belair

There is a sectioned 49-50 coupe, black, that had turquoise wheels and radiused wheel wells, that burned itself into my rain many years ago. Hope you can give it a good home or an exciting life at the drag strip.

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My effort

Attached Files:

Król and turboroadster like this.
  28. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

29. seb fontana

seb fontana