Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Latest project 29 A-V8 Roadster.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I wasn't going to post a build thread on this 29 A-v8 but friends have been bugging me to start one..I've never built a Model A before so its gonna be a fun,learning experience for me..I doubt I'll be covering any new territory that hasn't been done already.. Just gonna build a nice,simple v-8 roadster to run at TroG,dirt drags and Jalopy Showdown next season.
    So,lets get started!

A good friend gave me a stock model A rolling frame as a starting point..Had some cracks and messed up front crossmember that needed some straightening. Once I got in apart,I set it up on some stands and leveled it and squared it up with a porta power. parts33 004.JPG
    Using a stock model a rear and working forward, I started mocking things up to figure out where the trans crossmember and engine mounts will need to go.. model a 001.JPG
    model a 002.JPG
    I went to the junkyard and found an 1949 F-1 panel truck which gave up her trans crossmember and brake/clutch pedals..I cut it down to fit inside the Model A framerails with tabs to weld in place.The pedal holes will have to be relocated to fit in the correct spot.. model a 006.JPG More mocking up with a stock A steering column..Radiator in place to check for fan clearance. model a 004.JPG

2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Once I had all the engine spacing where I wanted it,I cooked up some quickie engine mounts tardel style.
    modela grille 009.JPG

Some more detailed trans crossmember pics
    modela grille 011.JPG
    modela grille 013.JPG
    modela grille 014.JPG
    Then I cut down a 34 center crossmember for the front wishbone ball mount and mounted it to the tranny crossmember. I need to add some gussetts for strength but you get the idea.
    modela grille 012.JPG
    Then I took to model A wishbones and grafted them together for my front wishbone. They were cheap(free) and I didn't want split bones. Also,I had a 2" dropped Model A axle lying around which had the 2-1/4 perch bosses so it worked out very nicely! modela grille 015.JPG I wasn't happy with the steering box clearance so I took an old F100 steering box and cut the flange down,redrilled it ,moved it closer to the framerail and re-welded it using the preheat method.. modela grille 010.JPG modela grille 006.JPG modela grille 008.JPG

hansboomer, 1947knuck, hfh and 13 others like this.
  3. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Lookin' good! Sure brings back memories of fighting for fractions of inches! The mounting of your crossmember is similar to the way I did mine. I ended up building my own headers to snake around the F-1 steering box I modified as per the Bishop/Tardel book and even then they are still tight! Keep up the good work! Regards, Dave

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  4. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Very cool build!!!!

Fordgasser1 likes this.

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Off to a flying start. Will be watching.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  6. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking real Good!! Did you
    Looking Good!! Did you lengthen the A bones ?

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  7. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Looking good! I like your wishbone mount. Im about to make the wishbone mount for mine. Im grafting a 35 wishbone to a model a rear wishbone yoke to get the length i need on my Av8

barrnone50 and Fordgasser1 like this.
  8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Cool build, I am looking forward to seeing you and the roadster at Wildwood next year

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  9. louisb

louisb

Great build!

--louis

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  10. 51box

51box
    from MA

Great start, you build some cool stuff. glad you put up the build to follow

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  11. I like what you are building.....Keep it going as we are all watching ya.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  12. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yes, I had a complete A wishbone and a set that had been split already. The split bones kinda got into the steering arm and they would be mounted right where my clutch ball is so I decided to go with a unsplit bone..Its lengthened by about 7 inches grafting the split bones to it. Then I had to pie cut the V and pulled the bones in to line up with the axle. It was alot of cutting and slicing to make it look right,I may have some pics I'll post.

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments!

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Here's a shot of the body and engine mounted up..Like AV8 Dave put it" Fighting for every fraction of an inch" but it all fits!..No cutting of the firewall required. parts4 004.JPG

1947knuck, Dannerr, FlatJan and 5 others like this.
  14. brady1929

brady1929

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Cooked up some quicky shock mounts from F100.. 010.JPG 013.JPG

1947knuck, Dannerr, brEad and 4 others like this.
  16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looking good, real nice build.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  17. That's a nifty re-do of the shock mounts.

bct and Fordgasser1 like this.
  18. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Finally got back to work on this project!Job changes and more life drama got in the way!

If anyone is still interested here's my progress: I'm using 1934 Ford spindles on the dropped model A axle which required some modifications. First, I adapted the later juice brake backing plates to the early spindles. This was accomplished by cutting out the centers of the original 34 Ford mechanical and welding them into the centers of the later backing plates. Then a spacer was made to get the hub in the proper distance from the backing plate and a place for the inner seal to ride on. I modified a pair of original 34 hollow kingpins by cutting the top off and installing a 4"long 3/8"ths bolt inside the hole..Solidly welding this into place and shaping it into a slight dome. The original steering arms were heated and bent downward. The stock 34 drag link was heated and reversed on one end to meet the F100 pitman arm. The tierod was dropped in the center for clearance around the engine balancer. roadster 005.JPG roadster 006.JPG roadster 008.JPG

1947knuck, popawolf and Runnin shine like this.
  19. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I got started on some body repairs..There was a small amount of rust in the cowl area..Cut out the problem areas and butt weld some small patches..Not many pics to illustrate,just the end results. roadster 018.JPG

20. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Previous owner installed some terrible rear inner wheel well patches..I could have just laid some lead over this but decided to cut it out and install a new inner..All butt welded,no over laps..Much nicer..Had to make a new dogleg area..Ran out of gas before I could weld it in.. roadster 013.JPG roadster 014.JPG roadster 003.JPG roadster 016.JPG

21. louisb

louisb

Looking good. It's tough when life gets in the way.

--louis

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Looking great (and very much like my car) keep it up George and I will see you on the beach in June

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  23. Looks good. I like those F1 mounts! A different look from the usual heat and bend.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  24. Looking good George! Dig that tie rod! you gonna have this together for Wildwood in June?

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Jason..Yeah, I hope to have it up and running before TROG..The Jalopy Showdown at Latimore Speedway is May 20th and another circle track event earlier in May..Also,the Pure Vintage Racing events..So many cool racing venues coming up I want to be ready!..

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  26. Sweet, cant wait to check it out at the Showdown! Lets hope it doesn't rain like it did last year!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  27. Are you gonna put a set of those Arduns on this one?

28. Are you gonna put a set of those Arduns on this one?

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  29. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

No,the Arduns and this are going on a 34 3 window I just picked up.. prts 019.JPG

30. Looks like a great start!

Fordgasser1 likes this.