Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Info of trad. rod on negatives early 1940ies

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by carrera600, Jan 22, 2017.

1. carrera600

carrera600

05thor.jpg 2ndcar42_WM.jpg

Some other photos ones depicting the style ( thanks to other members of the forum for sharing), unfortunately there are no other negatives or photos or information with regards to Police Officer U. Book-Em and his Girlfriend I. Hook-Em, the perfect couple for undercover mission to infiltrate and chase Hot Rodders -nice Story paintslinger805, almost believed you ;) !
    Thanks for everybodys input. The photos are somewhat very personal, the car being in a stage of build and the motiv beeing out of the usual" hot rod race" or "competition" scene. The sequence i find unusal as well, normally you would have only one picture. The size of the Negs are 2-3/4" by 1-3/4" each. The image resoution is really good and of all people a police officer, i would normally not consider to have his own hot rod, is " showing off ". I Still think the identity of the officer must be known to someone. Were white wall tyres on the rear only, a particular style or just beeing short of money ?
    It has also changed my view on model A roadsters completely, iam stunned to see how well modifications could be pulled off to make the car look so much more competetive and elegant.
    Great support, unrevelling the mystery. Thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  2. I will bet her nylons have a seam up the back!:cool:
    [​IMG]

Spooky, Jet96 and Stogy like this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

In this picture the car's rear is being supported by something under the rear bone. If you look close the rear wheel is crooked, probably just leaning against the car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Alvarado or maybe Buena Vista St? But then again it could be almost any street in any small post war bedroom community in SoCal (based on what appears to be a small palm looking tree growing next to the front porch steps.

5. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

I like the way the line runs up the back of your stockings, no, no,no,dont take em off leave em on ,thats it little more to the right......agh sorry...

Spooky, Beau, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys this is about Hotrods...:confused:...Your right...shes a sweetie.

Love these pics 6000...Couple of observations/assumptions...the www is not very uniform and already noted I see...curb wear, painted or hand ground and I think there is a plate on the back so they were free to tear up the street. Thing under car might be a tarp. Love the undone look. This is the kind of stuff that influences the trends.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. I'm digging the odd truck in the background, food truck maybe ?

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very interesting mods to the door and fwd body line near cowl and the overflow upholstery...on the top roadster. Yes it is interesting the rear www blackwall combo again.

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The white wall is flat.
    That's something else. That's an unusual truck for the 40s. It looks like some sort of hack or maybe a wood bodied delivery truck. It was old then.
    Just conjecture but I wonder if this is a collection.

10. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of clues: there seems to be a house number on the porch column. Cant quite make out the number but looks like 3 digits on diagonal? Then, if this is a really good negative, get a blowup of the wristwatch on her hand. You can date pretty close to the style of watch and band. The shoes look post war (high heels) and the dress may be hand made (not uncommon in those days)
    Finally, there is a tarp or something under the rear axle? looks crumpled up.
    Good Luck finding answers!
    brg

11. Yea I thought it might be a tarp under the car too. The ol truck looks like it could be a hill billy motor home of some sorts . House on wheels. What ever year it is it's really neat and I'm glad you shared it with the world. We all love this stuff. Thank you.

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Her name may be Lucy, Luella, Lois, etc. She has a L shaped Broach. My Grandma Della had a D

Jet96 likes this.
  13. Laverne??? (As in Laverne and Shirley)

14. F 1 said it back a few and seems right. That may be a jack stand back there - the rear wheels look slightly askew and may be just set there. The Hack in the driveway looks pretty clean/square, not like you would expect it to be if it's quite old at the time of the photo.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. ..... don't forget his pants. Spot on the knee, may be because he had to get down and jack it up. Who knows ??

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. Or maybe he popped the question!:rolleyes:

Jet96 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. ..... or maybe put that smile on her face. <cough > :D :eek: < cough > .... mmmmm. Yum, yum. :) ( guilt setting in/that's someone's long lost grandma maybe)

Spooky and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. There appears to be NO stand/block/tarp under it in the pic with him in it.

Maybe it was a work in progress, at the curb. No garage.

19. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

What cool pictures. I'm going with Paddy Wagon on the truck in the driveway. A small city that just weathered the depression and the war could be still running 10-15 year old gear. It's well maintained.
    [​IMG]

20. Nobey

Nobey

I'm thinking the old truck in the back ground, just might be a Rose Parade vehicle.....

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just think, if this pic was made in 1947, and she was say 20 years old then.......she'd be 90 years old now! :eek::rolleyes::D

Stogy likes this.
  22. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

Oh ya , 9o ahhh ya godda draw the line some where:D sorry Lavern...

Jet96 likes this.
  23. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

Kinda looks like winnie the pooh in front of that rear wheel..

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy youth while we have it.
    Your right they have had their youth and are in the home stretch if life is still a factor. The tap stops running for all eventually...kind of sad...:(
    Pictures and film have a way of capturing moments in time forever. We see it alot here.
    Love seeing people enjoying their time around the myriad of vehicles we all are enjoying and gleaning styling cues from.
    I am always thanking those who wielded the cameras to capture these moments.

Jet96, tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I noticed that too but those photos are from a different angle and don't show the stuff under the car.

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'm having a moment so I'll share.
    Think about this.....
    Those two young people taking some photos of a car one day. It was just a short time out of that day , a snapshot. Then it's on with their lives. Those two could not fathom that some 70 odd years later, their afternoon of picture taking would be analyzed and studied by an international coalition of automobile enthusiasts. Enthusiasts utterly fascinated by every detail. Enthusiasts-Hambers who wonder who they were, what they are doing, what they did and what became of them.
    This meeting of eras right before our eyes is a wonderment in itself.
    Just think. In 70 years from now, will some future people study and be fascinated by this very thread?

The37Kid, Jet96, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  27. carrera600

carrera600

F-One, well put. No internet and forums back then to discuss and find ideas and inspiration, information was so limited, just the guys around the corner and a few magazines. A build like that, surely needed interaction of people on a personal basis a lot more than today. The build i would call almost too "professional" to be done by someone with "just an interest" with split front and rear bones as someone pointed out. Not professional in the term used by todays standards, it was ongoing innovative. Next step would have been a dual Thickstun or Slingshot with 97`s, definately not a T5 trans ( I can see into the future :eek:).
    With my car iam stuck in that time frame and i wouldnt want it to be any different. Thats strange. Were people aware at the time that their cars were going to be icons one day, creating a following all over the world ?
    Im not a builder like some of you guys and never will be, but to me its an art, hard work and first of all it takes dedication and knowledge to see a project like that through. The pictures show ordinary people with an ordinary life searching for individualism and believing in it. I know its sounds pathetic, afterall its just a few old negatives and everybody has their history, although no-one will be discussing my historical achievements ( there is none ! ) on such a scale. And yes, she is very cute, whats her name again .. Lillian...

Stogy likes this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Her name was Lauren, she was a secretary/stenog, and just above the knees she rolled the tops of those seamed nylons, 'Betty Boop' style.
    The dry lakes were not that far out of the neighborhood...bet they made the trip if for nothing else, to spectate.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Looks like he is doing paint and body work on the rear quarter panel. Appears to have sanding marks and primer showing in some spots. Also gas filler appears to have been filled and area in primer.

30. Beau

Beau

I'm thinking tgey taken last week.