Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1956 Chevy Barris? Kustom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by clean cut creations, Jan 23, 2017.

1. IMG_9703.PNG IMG_9711.PNG IMG_9712.PNG IMG_9714.JPG IMG_9717.JPG IMG_9719.JPG IMG_9718.JPG Does anyone have build and owner history on this car? It was just sold over the weekend at Barrett Jackson and was billed by them and the seller as a Barris built car. I know Marc Ringheim of Portland Oregon owned it in 1963. It has changed many hands since then. It was recently restored and updated by Scrog's Hot Rods in 2012.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Marv built it. I don't know how Barris's name got attached to it

verde742 likes this.
  3. IMG_9759.PNG That's what I thought, Mark. I just don't know how or when the car's history got clouded. This is registration paperwork on the car from the 90s.

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Barris would sign anything you put in front of him....

51 BIRD and 62hotcat like this.

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I saw it there at the event. Someone had glued a Barris Crest on the front fender.

6. This is quite apparent....

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sure, just attach the name of a well known builder to most anything and sucker someone into paying more than without the "provenance"

Austinrod likes this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I know a guy who took a 6 cylinder Mustang, cloned it into a Shelby. Put a V-8 in it. Then had Carrol Shelby sign the glovebox lid at a show, without the car being present. He doesn't tell people it`s a clone. He wins a lot of awards.

9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Man that custom is a thing of beauty! Saw it on Barret & Jackson cool. I have seen too many times someone taking credit for custom work they didn't do. Once a car is sold it can be free game for credit due out the door. I built and sold one, when it came out in a magazine the guy said he built it from the ground up,LOL. I have also done custom work on rods that were sold and the new owners don't know anything about the history when I ask. So don't sell it if you want credit for the blood sweat and tears.

verde742 likes this.
  10. And PT BARNUM would say........in 3, 2, 1..........

11. aircap

aircap

So... lawsuit soon?

12. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

car pretty like platypus

belair, B Bay Barn and wbrw32 like this.
  13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

At least the buyer got a good deal. I think it was Friday, a 1950 Chevy AD truck sold at the BJ auction for 187,000.00 dollars.

14. or even a wart hog..

AlkyWagon likes this.
  15. Thx for the old thread link on the car. I searched and it didn't pop up prior to my post. So, all we know so far is someone passed it off as a Barris car after ol George signed the registration paperwork. We don't know when that happened. It obviously had some sort of rumored Barris attachment when Labold's dad owned it or he wouldn't have asked about it. That was in June of 2010.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  16. It's a shame, for this new owner of the '56 now believes he really has something ...... but that "something" is not accurate.
    I'm betting BJ will not be held responsible, for the seller, at the auction, has a signed paper from Barris, which we know is worthless, according to the gurus here on H.A.M.B.

17. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

We saw that go through ,the camera panned down onto Barris crest but the dialog about being a Barris custom happen after the hammer fell,maybe the guy's on stage get too much credit for knowing what they are talking about.Buyer beware.Hard to feel sorry for someone not doing their home work.

verde742 likes this.
  18. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

i like funky kustoms but not really a fan of this one,I mean i like the whole car but the back, I saw this car in person it really is lazer straight, the interior although kinda boring but supposed to be original from the 60s and still in great shape, kinda glad it sold the previous owner was talking about putting a modern chassis under it, the car still got history and was restored beautifully just have to get the billet and 20 dollar chrome engine covers off

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like customs, but....... damn that's an ugly car. It's hard to believe what was once a cool style.

AlkyWagon and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. ANY one that's been into Customs back into the Barris days,knows,Barris did not make them that damn ugly.

21. I'm not crazy about it either. Looks like somewhere along the line someone modified and molded in those side pipes too.