Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cost of a Model A Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CollegeKid, Jan 23, 2017.

1. CollegeKid

CollegeKid
    from Minnesota

Does anybody have a general idea what the going rate is nowadays for a solid original Model A? I'm talking like a good project car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. CollegeKid

CollegeKid
    from Minnesota

Is that pretty common all over the country? Is that a fair price?

3. CollegeKid

CollegeKid
    from Minnesota

I want to buy one, but am trying to make sure I'm not going to overpay.

4. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Good "project car" is subjective, ............ define.

$3,000-$9,000

5. doliak

doliak

Start asking every hot rod dude you know to keep an eye out then be a bit patient something will come up I'm not even up to 2k and have just about everything including drive train. But that is piece by piece scrounging haha

LOU WELLS and luckythirteenagogo like this.
  6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

If you pay up to get a more complete staring point, it ends up cheaper in the end unless you are skilled in body, mechanical work.
    I think $8-9K

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This, "project" can mean a lot of different things. You really need to define that a little more.

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

you've been a member since 09 and your wondering about the cost of a model A?

9. metalman

metalman

Umm, need more info for sure. Body style makes a difference, going to pay more for a roadster or coupe then a sedan. What body style do you want? When you say good solid original do you want it complete or just a body?
    Use to be the best buy was older restorations, something the body work/ paint ect was already done but old enough to be a little tired. Sell off the drivetrain/ wheels, all the stock stuff to a restorer. Last couple years though prices have been going up on restored As, while stock mechanicals are getting harder to find homes for. A lot depends on how much you are doing yourself vs paying for it, a already restored car might be cheaper in the long run if you got to pay a shop to straighten, rust repair and all that to a field find.
    To answer your questain I'd say $600 for a decent sedan body by it's self to 25K for a restored roadster. Big range but without more info that's what it is.

Hudson31 likes this.
  10. running, driving, "rustless" (not rust free but not rotted out junk) older restoration coupes in the south $10K but they are coming down seen a few as low as 8k, wait a few years they will be even cheaper.

clunker likes this.
  11. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

12. CollegeKid

CollegeKid
    from Minnesota

I went through a period where I wasn't on here very much, and I finally have a place of my own with room to store cars and trucks, so now I'm actually in the market.

13. Believe me, buy the most sound body you can...It may cost you a bit more initially..but not having to install patch panels ,wood kits ,subrails ,wheelhouse panels , interior garnish mlds , etc you'll come out better in the long run..Parts $$$ add up quickly....The less you have to do on the body ,the more you can spend on the running gear
    I gave $2500 for this car with a clear NC title that matched the motor & frame..Now I realize I should have waited and spent a little more on a more sound body in order to save me a great deal of time . I'm 75 and I want this finished fast as possible ,yet doing most of the work myself.
    This body is going to need a lot of TLC ($$$$) and time....I'm still gonna save this one , mainly because of the backstory..

x 049.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  14. CollegeKid

CollegeKid
    from Minnesota

Let me clarify more, I mean "project" in that I want a Model A to chop and either slam or put on 32 rails, then stuff either a Chrysler Hemi or Cadillac in it for a traditional hot rod build. "Good project car" means mostly solid body with or without frame rails and drivetrain.

clunker likes this.
  15. nickk

nickk

D
    Dang that's a pretty nice start though!

clunker likes this.
  16. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Model A's are like 60's Mustangs. They made zillions of them. Look around a bit and you'll find one that will work for your skill set for not a lot of money. Deuces on the other hand...

clem likes this.
  17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ah... me too on the hamb. Well I'd suggest craigslist, hamb classifieds, ebay, your neighbor. just funnin' with you... good luck! When your looking sometimes you find it, othertimes it comes to you when youre not looking, helpful eh?

18. Out in this neck "o the woods, with a title=5 LARGE on an easy day.............
    Even though it might have some issues, you did very well from behind my keyboard .....!

19. Squablow

Squablow

Sedans are cheaper than coupes, roadsters are even more expensive. Pickups are all over the place price-wise. Sport coupe bodies seem to bring half of what standard coupes bring. Titles are a $500 plus item here in Wisconsin but are meaningless in other states. Also, seems like 30-31 bodies bring a premium over the 28-29 models, at least around here.

More info is needed to give a price range. I saw one that looked identical to the one Turbo26T posted above sell for around $7200 here a year or so ago. Seemed high to me but I wasn't there to really check the car over.

At least tell us if you need a car with a title, and what body style and year you're looking for, then we can give a better price estimate. They're all different.

20. torana

torana

in Australia 15k to 20k

Jet96 and drylakespeedshop like this.
  21. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a very solid '28 coupe body with a title, and a 90% complete '29 leatherback numbers matching with a title and all new wood. Both are advertised on the H.A.M.B at $4500 each. I get a call on each one about every other week.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker likes this.
  22. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

2k-4k for a sedan, 3k-6k for a coupe, 3k-6k for a roadster. That would be a good ballpark for a solid model A project. That is the market around Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

, sounds like you are going for multiple rides

, one thing about this site plenty of people willing to help you spend your money

24. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I have seen, just searching and reading about these cars, decent cars, meaning needing little to no body work other than paint, go for a lot more $$ than a bare body without chassis or suspension. So it depends on which way you intend to go with the project. If you buy a really good car but are not using any of the original chassis or drivetrain you can probably sell off everything not needed to a restorer and make some of your money back. Then you can focus on getting the rest of it the way you want it to be. I know of 2 cars now that are selling in the mid $6k area. One is a 1928 model A sport coupe with a rust free body, new wood, needs a top and interior, has a title. The other is a 1931 model A roadster. A complete car in pieces for a restoration that was never finished. Also with title. It takes some searching but you'll find what you want if your patient.

25. CollegeKid

CollegeKid
    from Minnesota

Well, if money allows, then a man can never have too many rides haha

clunker likes this.
  26. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

If you feel sorry about that 2.5k$ i think there will be guys who would help you.... ;)

27. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

X2 I have seen one's sold $4-6 k WAY worse shape

clunker likes this.
  28. https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/5956576251.html IMG_1485252153.202773.jpg https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/5971004391.html IMG_1485252247.701578.jpg https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5957022484.html IMG_1485252382.067289.jpg https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5948741962.html IMG_1485252462.039993.jpg https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/5909940783.html IMG_1485252571.918985.jpg https://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/5937623892.html IMG_1485252660.529872.jpg

You're in a way better market that a lot of us. Those were just Minneapolis, at this very moment. They would be X2 in New England. Minnesota has a really great scene. A magazine I subscribe to (who's name, like Valdemort, must never be uttered), attests to that.

If your an old guy/young guy with lots of hot rodder friends, then you can expect to pay 1/2 or less what loners like me are lookin' at on CL or Hamb. That's why a lot of people here chime in with things like $500 A's, or $2500 builds.

I also am looking for an A, (just always broke so probably deeper in my future), I tend to self defeat, so I will ignore advice and get the cheapest body I can find and make it work. Also, I have to be a perfectionist at work, so it brings me absolutely no joy in my own time, so an F-ed up pile would actually be better for me.

That being said once in awhile a really good Coupe comes up for $5k or $6k even here.

Against the good council of some fellow Hambers, I almost bought this shit pile for $1900 recently, but some unexpected expenses thwarted me. Drat. The joy of walking past the decaying pile every morning to get in my pick up and drive off to toil for "the Man" would have been priceless. IMG_1485253732.353874.jpg

Good luck! Please post as you look, especially if you go in person. I dig the hunt, and reading about other peoples' adventures.

ravedodger, Duellym and Kevs56 like this.
  29. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Know your skills, some guys on here can make a car out of a pile of rusted parts. If you can do that, buy a cheap heap

DLRIDES likes this.