Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looking at pictures I don't see any Chevy starters that look like they would work in the Olds.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

you have to look close, on the chevy 6 the upper starter bolt is canted in towards the block, when you look at the photo of the starter installed, the top bolt is hidden behind the solenoid. So when its on the six, the solenoid points straight up. but the bolt pattern on the olds crossover is vertical, so when you put the chevy starter on the olds crossover, the solenoid is tipped outward, away from the block.

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the nose is too short on the Chevy

4. F&J

F&J

magic number? Both types of Olds starters for the 303 coarse flywheel teeth, and 324 fine, are both 9 tooth drives, but different diameter and different tooth profiles.

A 303 drive gear won't mesh with a 324 flywheel, and vice versa. And, a drive gear swap between the two starters won't work, as they are different designs.

We need more info on this Chevy starter swap as far as which flywheel was used with it.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

chevy:
    [​IMG]

olds:
    [​IMG]

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres a better pic of the business end. Guys, before you get carried away, go back and look at my post. the word "might" is bolded and italicized for a reason. But I still think this "might" work. If I see one at a swap for cheap, I will count the teeth on the starter gear, if there are 9, I will take it home, bolt the flywheel and starter switchover on, and try my luck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I see what you mean.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

mid series Olds starter:

have to estimate total diameter of gear being that it has an odd count
    but it looks like 1"

measuring from mount surface to gear thrust washer looks like 1.562"

I do not have a Chevy six starter to compare

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

heres a couple pics of a '37/'48 cad starter. The nose looks longer and the solenoid is kicked over more, but the gear probably matches the 303. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

thanks Paul! I will write that info down and put it in my wallet, I ALWAYS carry verniers at a swap meet, if I hunt up a chevy starter I'll check it out.
    I went downstairs and looked, I am not 100% convinced the chevy starter has the solenoid kicked over far enough to clear the filter by-pass. It would be close.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

that picture is an internet grab..
    it is different than any of my starters in that area..

here is a snap of one of my core starters

20160905_091649.jpg

and the chevy again,

[​IMG]

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

definitely worth looking into,
    you'd think it would be more commonly known if it was something as simple as using the Chevy six with an Olds Bendix..

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I do definitely plan to follow up, the more things I can measure at the swap before I throw my money down the better, but I will pursue this. I wouldn't just go out and spend big bucks on a rebuilt chevy starter, but if I can find one cheap to take home and play with, I will measure, and if it looks at least possible, I will pull the trigger and give it a shot.
    Hate to say it, but most guys are strictly monkee-see, monkee do on this kind of stuff, most aren't willing to measure, dig, check and experiment. I think theres a better chance of the '53/'54 chevy gear working with the 324 than the cad, just going out on a limb here but I bet the cad works with the 303 flywheel.
    Sure would be cool if this works, eh? And it kinda looks like the olds has a thicker washer at the end of the drive, the chevy gear just MIGHT go back far enough...

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

302GMC just confirmed on my other thread, the chevy gear has 9 teeth. Paul the second photo you posted looks MUCH more do-able than the first. I just might be on to something here! Hope I find a nice cheap one next sunday, I am fired up to do some measuring now!

So you guys can follow along here...
    '53/'54 chevy starter: anyone know how many teeth on the gear?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

16. F&J

F&J

I have both Ross drives for his mini-starter. Yes, I got right around 1.0" with vernier, spun the gear because it's odd number teeth, to get the rough OD.

on the other one, it's around 1.150" for 303 olds and early Cad OHV8

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Frank, that helps...waiting to see how this is gonna pan out. If I have to grind a bit on the filter by-pass and use some different mounting hardware to get the clearance I need, I could live with that.
    That info makes it more likely that the cad flathead starter works with the 303 too.

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I went through some starters yesterday and took some crappy pictures not worth posting. There were two GMC six starters and I found a '50 Cad. One of the GMC and the Cad had gears a little bigger the 1" but looked the same. The other GMC has a gear of about 1". All had 9 teeth. The one with the bigger gear had the Delco part # 1107061 which depending on the site ranges from'42 - '54 Chevy & GMC trucks and '42-'48 Chevy cars probably because of the floor starter. I'll take more pictures and measurements if you want. The small gear GMC may be 12 volt. The 6 & 12 volts had different flywheel ring gears.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    falcongeorge likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks six ball.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Paul if the crank gear on the chevy starter is wrong, do you think it would be possible to swap bendixs?

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Paul and Frank especially, take a look at this. Look at the writing on the box. Does this look like a '54/'56 olds bendix to you guys? It was listed online as '56 chevy PU.
    1954-59%20BOPCC%20Starter%20Drive.jpg

22. F&J

F&J

I can't remember from when I had both starters apart. One was 54-56 Olds, other one was 53 Olds.

The 53 is the only 303 12volt, but still uses the coarse teeth flywheel like earlier 303.

Back a few posts, I mentioned the starter body differences between the two. The pieces won't swap. The armatures are even different lengths, along with the field case.

So, looking at the box writing, it sounds like a lot of GM vehicles went with the newer longer starter in 54?. So, there may be hope.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This is listed as '56 chevy bendix for sixes and V-8
    sdn-8.jpg
    My thinking is, if the rest of this bendix looks the same as the one in a '54/'56 olds starter and just the gear is different, then it follows that if necessary, you could swap the olds bendix into the chevy starter. Another thing I have been looking at is the chevy 6 starters themselves. I had it wrong, I was thinking '53/'54 would be the same, looking online its actually the '54-'56 chevy 6 starters that look the same, which dovetails with the same year Olds starters. Maybe its a '54/'56 chevy 6 starter with an olds bendix that is the hot tip.

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The other GMC 6 starter I have has no part # that I saw. It has the smaller gear and is probably a 12 volt which would be '56 or later. The 270 in my pickup is a '57 and when I first put it in I still had a 6 volt system. A 6 volt starter works a lot better on 12 volts than a 12 volt starter on 6 volts.
    So if it is the newer 6 starter could it possibly be a '56 or later Cad since the flywheels interchange ? Or is that just the 331 and 303? Has anyone compared the Delco Studebaker starters. I may have some of them around. Stude used a lot of stuff that bolted on the GM cars. I had a '40 International truck that had the same starter armature as my '56 420 John Deere crawler. If parts houses just had parts instead of units.

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Is the solenoid on your later six starter tipped to the right as viewed from the flywheel?

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

1956 cad. It wont clear the filter by-pass. Good thought though.
    DSCN0636.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. idaholc

idaholc
    from Boise, ID

would you sell? [email protected]

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

No, but I would tease you with a more recent snapshot.. :)

20170119_112306(0).jpg

30. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Boy, that's just cold Paul. Have to start calling you the "Iceman". Lol