Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My car has the sags

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harold's Speed, Jan 16, 2017.

1. did I read your post wrong? You did say the frame was level at the motor mount right? and you said the fenders must be the issue. If so, why would you shim the spring pack? If the frame is level just bend the front fender suport to make the fenders level. That would still leave you a little low on the driver's rear fender, right? So measure the frame at the rear, if the same each side, check fender mounting and body mounts, if the frame is low on drivers side try all the same tricks you all ready tried on the front. On the body mounts, remember that the A had wood blocks between the body and frame. How well do your doors line up?

2. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Our 30 Coupe had an awful lean to the Passenger side on the rear, we just Figured one too many Fat chicks rode in the rumble seat area...LOL. I mean you would think an 80+ year old car would sit perfectly level and have no issues.

3. Got rid of mine, couldn't afford to feed her!!

4. We nick named by buddies girl friend "lowering kit"

46international likes this.
  5. ^^^But she has to sit in the middle!

6. dwollam

dwollam

Ouch! Good ones!

Dave

7. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

I took some time tonight to shim the front spring pack. I took a piece of one of the unused leafs and used it as a shim on the left side between the spring pack and the front cross member. Much to my surprise the shim seems secure and when I put the car back down on it's wheels it is very close level. If anything it is slightly higher on the drivers side now which will work good when I am driving the car. It raised the car on the left side just a little more than an inch.

8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm....makes me think about putting more arch in one side of the spring pack. thanks for the tip.

9. Didn't you say the frame was level side-to-side? Seems like by shimming the spring pack you're solving a cosmetic issue while creating another problem, no?

alchemy likes this.
  10. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

Great idea

11. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

No, The car is a finished car in regards to paint, interior, etc.. I bought it as an unfinished project. Just had to get it running and put in a interior. The paint on this car is outstanding. Disappointing that it wasn't dealt with in the beginning but it is what it is. My goal was to keep the fender from rubbing on the tire. I have done that and I am happy with the results

12. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

Thanks to all who replied. It is very much appreciated. Lots of good information and ideas

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Glad you got it figured out- Model A's in general are hard to keep from twisting and turning, they were designed to do that because the roads back then were wagon trails! ( and they're pretty flimsy to begin with).

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

i agree with boilermakerdave... you thought the car was leaning so you were going to make it straight.... why don't you try adjusting the fender height instead?? didn't adding that shim show a problem in the rear now??