Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Golden Starfire, Sells at B-J Auction.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jan 19, 2017.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I could not believe my ears when I saw that the John D'Agostino 61 Olds Golden Starfire Custom sold for $24.K. at the B-J Auction last night. Some guy got a hell of a deal.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bummer. That car sure is a looker. Gary

3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Customs never have done well there. I watched it too, seems cheap. I wonder how well it has held up over the years? Has anyone seen it lately?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The paint job cost more than that. I should stop trying to build my own stuff...

afaulk, 54reno, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  6. lucky ink

lucky ink

My jaw dropped last night when I seen it go across the block for that price.

Sent from my MB886 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Saw several cars sell for less than you can build it for. Is everyone 'aging out of the hobby' :confused:

Cyclone Kevin and beebing like this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It was for sale at $50K. Wow, that's a big difference!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Was it me ot did a lot of the "street rods" look very dated? Kind of relates to what Dog_Patch said above.

10. fuzzface

fuzzface

I don't think everyone is aging out of the hobby but do to the economy a lot of us are aging out of disposable income.

11. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

It did not look like it was hurting to me.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I saw the "artistic" liquid metal Torino go for 5k..Hope they burn it....

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

I wonder if it would have made a big $ difference if it had a Saturday night time slot instead?

14. Król

Król

I believe it was owned by some one in Connecticut for awhile, as I saw this Olds at some local shows here, a few years ago.

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Looked like a buyers market, at least last night. The Olds was a fire-sale price. I thought overall, everything was 'down'. After what seemed like a recent recovery trend, looks like a slide might be happening.
    edit: That Torino 'art' car looked like Iron Man hurled on it...:eek:

16. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Sure did. You have to pay BJ for the primo time slots when the big money folks are there. Worth it.

17. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

From what I saw there were many cars that sold for less than pre auction estimates. There were a couple of done trucks that could not be built halfway for what they sold.

18. In my opinion,,that Olds was the worst of Johns creations,,,most of his work is far above that ugly Olds.

19. Selling at any auction is a crapshoot . Publicity is necessary for the car to bring as much as it can and unfortunately customs rarely get the preauction publicity whether by the auction house or the owner. Its also necessary to get a good auction time slot . Your wasting time and money if your selling on the first day or anytime before 5pm .
    Its disappointing to see customs of this quality fall victim to this . Hopefully the future will bring better results .

20. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

The easiest way to "-build" a car is to buy it as a finished product, if the check book allows. Every car I have bought that way I either broke even or came out ahead when eventually sold.
    Every car I built I overspent landed up with many extra parts, did a lot of cussing and inevitably lost money.
    I loved them all just the same.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Speaking of cheap Oldsmobiles did anyone notice what this '58 Super 88 went for? The winning bid was $19,000 and with the 10% buyer's premium it was $20,900 which is one hell of a deal in my opinion. I remember reading somewhere that the '58 Olds has more chrome/stainless on it than any other car. That was one of the best buys of the day there....

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1958-OLDSMOBILE-SUPER-88--202339

202339_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg.png

Now they're saying it sold for $21k which is $23,100 with the buyer's commission. On TV last night they said it sold for $19k so I don't know what happened but even $23k seems pretty fair to me....

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    i.rant likes this.
  22. metalman

metalman

No, that's not entirely true at Barrett, it is at Mecum. BJ charges full pop any time your on during TV time and they pick your docket time, you don't have much of a choice on it. They docket per estimated value, Tuesday is 20K cars, Wednesday is 40K and so on to the big dogs on Saturday. The Olds looks to of been a real bargain but it has limited appeal, like all auctions if you don't have at least two buyers really wanting your car or someones getting a bargain. Probably had nothing to do with the time slot.
    I didn't think the prices overall been too bad, wouldn't say it's a soft auction but not as strong as I expected, especially when Mecum last week seemed to bring big bucks. Any body see that well built but simple (350/350, Mustang II, A/C) 52 F1 Ford sell for 90K last week? Now that seller had the right two bidders!

23. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

But at the end of the day, it is still a 61 Olds, two door hard top that runs well on high test gas with a high end paint job, that can't sit outside in crappy weather, with custom wheels, and does not look to far from the original GM production line vehicle to most people, including about 60% of us.

wbrw32, Hnstray and 49ratfink like this.
  24. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

That's the point about building vs. buying. Anyone care to guess what it would cost to refurbish the chrome and stainless on that '58 Super 88?

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. art dekko

art dekko

What bothered me the most was the idiot announcers, who refer to every Camaro or Chevelle with larger wheels as a "custom" didn't recognize the real deal when they saw it. One of them referred to this car as the "essence of hot rodding", while another one said it looked like "something you would have seen in a magazine. Oh, it was in a magazine". If these guys, who are older, don't get it, how can younger people?

tfeverfred and Jonnie King like this.
  26. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

I don't always believe what I see at Barrett Jackson Auctions because of the no reserve deal on all the cars.I just can't believe the owners would take that kind of chance.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

41 coupe - believe it that people gamble and sometimes lose big time -as stated above, you have no guarantee of a good price for your ride just because it is a B-J, etc. know a guy that had a car built by big name shops, and had big name sponsors, that had over $250K in it. Was used in some magazine ads, and won plenty of awards. at B-J it went across the stage during a TV commercial and went for less than 1/2 of cost to build. ya never know.

28. Junkologist

Junkologist

I purchased the car and excited to own it!

29. Toqwik

Toqwik

I too thought overall prices were down. Many of those cars couldn't be built for anywhere near the selling prices but as was said earlier the big dollar cars are still to come.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

? Golden Starfire?

Junkologist and hrm2k like this.