Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So here we go on the 60 Comet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justadream, Nov 27, 2016.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Get the Econoline axle, and the springs.

justadream likes this.
  2. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Its going to need new springs being so old so will I really need them? He will charge me extra, guessing another 50 bucks

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Spring dont generally wear out. I would also buy the springs.

justadream likes this.
  4. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

But what about when they go flat, isnt that an indication of spent springs? I know rears do that but didnt on the fronts?

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If you have a truck shop around you can re-arch them. Or if you have a press you can do it yourself.

justadream likes this.
  6. Me too
    most of the "Kits" come with a cheap ass & too stiff trailer spring.

The ford econoline springs are going to be better.
    Measure and see

justadream and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are far better off building to the Econoline standard, even if you have to get new ones. They have way more leaves than any kit, so they can be tuned to fit the car.

justadream likes this.
  8. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Ok, so another thing I have been doing is tossing up some names for this thing and I have one that is just sticking with me and cant seem to get rid of it. Also, color???? Would I be better off to paint it or leave the patina rust, it does have some lead work that has been done in the past and looks pretty damn good. Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

OUT TO THE GARAGE I GOOOOOOOO...............................

9. squirrel

squirrel

Do you have what it takes to paint the car? Or to do the bodywork, and leave it in primer? If not, you could just leave all that till later.

Although I have a tendency to do the prep work and paint the firewall on cars that I'm building, even if I know that paint for the rest of the car will take a lot longer to get around to.

You can spend a lot of time/money/effort on making a hot rod look nice, and you probably won't be driving it during that time, unless you plan well.

10. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

I do have the equipment and knowledge, been doing body work since I was about 10, now 46. I seem to like the old ratty look with the rust because of the fact people will just think its an ol junker till I mop their ass. I also like the fact of being left in just primmer too. Is there a way to get a poll going to see which way people prefer the most? I game for either. Its just the body is REALLY solid except a couple small areas around the rear quarters which I could just leave and clear the whole car so nothing gets worse and to preserve the rust. Wait, preserve the rust????? Is that wrong, lol.

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Only piece of advice I can add on this build, PAINT IT ! I do not understand the rusty POS style (Patina). To each there own, said the farmer as he hugged his cow.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Do you really care what a poll would tell you?

If you like paint, then do it. If you want to drive it around without painting it, then do it.

I had a lot of folks tell me I should leave my Chevy II looking like crap, but my plan for the car was to recreate a race car from the mid 60s, and 4 year old race cars back then generally didn't have any "patina".

14. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

justadream likes this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You just won the ignorant post of the day award :p
    Anyone who would put that on a car, or even post it for that matter has as much class as the picture :rolleyes: :p:D
    This forum really needs a don't like button :D:D

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, paint. The Econoline axle is closer to reality too. Getting the springs, you can use only as many leaves as you need vs one big and too stiff repop gig. Layer those springs between the leaves with that "slide tape" that's out there. No, I have no links to the stuff, just know somebody makes it. The reward will be better control and suspension compliance.

justadream and loudbang like this.
  17. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Alright FUCK IT THEN........ NO PAINT IT IS, I LOVE THE OLD SHITTY LOOK ANYWAYS.But what about a name for this bitch, besides the one I have in mind? Jump in anytime, lol.

Gammz likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How about shit box ? :D After all if it's going to look like one :D:D

19. Man you guys are cranky

What we really need around here is another "what color should I paint it thread"
    It's like Kindergarden coloring book time. Yep more milk for the infants, who needs the meat and potatoes of some really good tech. When is the next tech week anyways?

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  20. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Kinda like yours in your avitar? No thanks, you can have that one Bub.

Gammz likes this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Don't be an idiot, my avatar is an in construction shot of my RPU.
    I think shit box would be appropriate for a ratty looking comet driving down the road. :p:D:D:D

loudbang and B Bay Barn like this.
  22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Wow we are a bit testy today!! My buddy has a comet so every once in a while to get this goat I call it the Vomit.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

24. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Haha, me or him?

25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Just a small bit of advise, When your a Newbie and you start giving shit to guys on here with thousands of posts is going to get you nowhere. Believe me Ive had a few pissing matches and it dont get you nowhere.

BradinNC, bobg1951chevy and loudbang like this.
  26. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Got out in the garage yesterday and today for a little bit. Got the top side and the inner side of the frame plated in, tomorrow will get the bottom in then on onto something else, probably try to straighten out the hole where the shock tower was. 20170118_201839.jpg 20170118_210941.jpg 20170118_211002.jpg

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will still help him, and I have more posts that you, and the guy he talked back to, combined.

justadream likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Screw it time to back out of this mess. unwatch.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

It doesnt matter how many posts a guy has its the Knowledge he possesses. I was stating when newbies talks shit they get a tounge lashing by the guys that have been on here for a while. By the way the Comet is coming along nicely.

justadream likes this.
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lecturing people is not an admirable action. Giving someone a tongue lashing isn't, either.

When you chose to respond to drama, you enhance the drama. That's how threads get closed, and deleted.

Learn to let things go.

Gammz likes this.