Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pics: 1974 Street Rod Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham Hood, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chip I gotta ask, did the green bucket your folks sold wear aluminum slots and a green velvet tufted interior? Asking as one of the cool older guys from town had one right in that time frame, I recall that it came from MN.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I dig the t buckets with jag rears!

need louvers ? likes this.
  3. brjnelson

brjnelson

Thank You Graham, I was there, I was 10 years old,
    Cy's T with the dual Paxtons was one of my favorites.
    And the C cab with the dual GMC blowers was also burned into my mind ( I was young )
    I am going to dig out my old photos from that show.
    So many memories.

4. brad2v

brad2v

Great stuff, this is right up my alley. I was born in '71, so my "early reading" consisted of Street Rodder and Rod Action from this time period. Thanks for posting.

F&J, lothiandon1940 and Sancho like this.
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope. It was really quite the thing, but pretty subtle for the era. Green metal flake, polished aluminum frame, coils at both ends, blown aluminum Buick 215, Halibrands at the back with Blue Streak slicks, 18" 12 spokes up front, and the sole ugly on the thing, a home made grill shell that unfortunately kinda looked it...

Mom's purple car was a bit more "regular". Metalflake purple, steel frame painted black, coils at all four corners, small block Chev, Halibrands and slicks, Hallcrafts up front, and that same damned ugly grill shell.

F&J, falcongeorge and Sancho like this.
  6. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Graham I can't thank you enough for posting these pictures. I owned the black 27 "T" on deuce rails. I was 25 years old and the youngest member of the Roadsters Twincities. Many of the cars and people I knew. Cy Kubistas TnT which was also a club member and a great ISCA competitor. The black flamed Hemi powered "T" of Carl Kusnia. Also a club member and one of the fastest car I have ever riden in. I am still a member of the roadster Twincities but am not the youngest anymore! Thanks again for all the fond memories!

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

This is my most favorite Hot Rod of the 'era .... I wish they still made tires like these..... it had to be a rush to drive it.

t%20bucket%20peoria%2070%20-%202.jpg

charleyw, fordflambe, a boner and 8 others like this.
  8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes this one haunts my dreams. I've got a couple other pics of this one saved as well. Pretty sure this shot was from Peoria '70.

AHotRod, F&J and need louvers ? like this.
  9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Top image is from another HAMBer's post from Tulsa NSRA show. Lower one is a different angle from Peoria. Thanks and credit to original photographers who ever they may be!

T from peoria at tulsa.jpg t bucket peoria 70.jpg

F&J, Ron Funkhouser, brandon and 3 others like this.
  10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, any idea what happened to either car? That blown little Buick would certainly stand out!

F&J likes this.
  11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not a clue! I have had a client of mine bring down a Racing Unlimited aluminum chassis in the last couple years, and not many were built. But that one wasn't polished, so I'm thinking that's not it.

F&J likes this.
  12. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I drove this to St.Paul for the first time in '74, but the photo is from November '74 in Chicago. upload_2017-1-12_20-40-44.png

13. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Hard to go wrong.... "T" with a HEMI!

gnichols, F&J, brandon and 1 other person like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I bet you like Cottons little cutie too, I sure do.
    I wasn't there but I bet this was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gnichols, MO_JUNK, F&J and 8 others like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Uh huh, I remember all you old farts showing us youngin's {I was 15 in 1974} what a rod was! I too drooled over these pics back then, I guess that's why I love big, fat tires and polished mags, slots or spokes, so much! And those paint jobs, wow! What artwork some of them were! No dull ass flat colors or rusted patina, if it wasn't in primer, it SHINED!!!!
    Now, I gotta agree, some of them had a 4X4 stance, and tires poking out past the fenders a tad much, but they were cool and unlike anything sitting on any dealers lot or driving through my small town.

Wish there was a place like the HAMB for mid 60's to early 80's rods. After the so called traditional era to just before the billet age.
    Or a special forum here for them.....

das858, F&J, Leakie and 8 others like this.
  16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Funny, I just went back through this today to verify some names on the cars, as i ran some of the pictures on my Hot Rod Central page, and noticed a theme.... five or six of us referenced being there and being about ten at the time! You didn't really see kids at events back then, at least, from what I remember.... Yet there we were. And here we are 43 years later...

F&J and Just Gary like this.
  17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I was 12, but my first Nats was '72. Have a bunch of pics from the 70's era that I'll have to find and post.

BigO, F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Pretty sure this belonged to Tom Felber from MN. Car was bone stock, just a set of wheels and tires bolted on .

upload_2017-1-14_19-48-20.png

F&J, Ron Funkhouser, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  19. BJR

BJR

I lived in Minneapolis then and was there in 74 also. Thanks for posting the pictures. Brian

F&J likes this.
  20. Rand Man

Rand Man

The '70's were not so bad. I'd like to see some coverage of the 1976 Nats in Tulsa.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J, Dan Hay and falcongeorge like this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

F&J and Leakie like this.
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

With some adjustments... Love that look. Gary
    solo2.jpg so.jpg

F&J, AHotRod, brandon and 2 others like this.
  23. kapu

kapu

Great pictures !! Thanks for sharing. Brings back lots of good memories ....

F&J likes this.
  24. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Jim;
    Do you still have it. Would like to see it again.
    Steve

F&J likes this.
  25. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

Graham, what is your dad's name?

F&J likes this.
  26. @Graham Hood -

Thanks for posting your father's photos! ... Much appreciated!

The 1974 NSRA Nats in St. Paul , Minnesota was the first national event I attended.

My mother, my siblings, & I flew from California to Minnesota ... and my father intended to drive our Coupe to Minnesota ... but had a bit of a mishap less than 100 miles into his 2,000 mile journey:

A rear axle "failed" at ~65mph ...

[​IMG]
    Interstate 80 ... Somewhere near Sacramento, CA

[​IMG]
    Torn Fender

[​IMG]
    Bent Rear Quarter

[​IMG]
    Sheared Axle

[​IMG]
    The ONLY time our Coupe has been on a trailer!

He ended up riding with a fellow club member in a full-fendered '26 T Roadster to St. Paul ... where we all met up again, and attended the event as "spectators".

I too have dozens of my father's photos (actually Kodachrome 35mm slides) from the event ... but never dared post them on the H.A.M.B. as most are pretty off topic for a "Traditional Hot Rod" forum.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Tuck, F&J, Ron Funkhouser and 6 others like this.
  27. Geez, I was there at 31, buying parts for a '47 Fleetline the went to Memphis in '75. I think I went to St. Paul every year the Nat's was there. We bought parts and left them laying on the ground wherever we hung out any given day. No cars got stolen either.

F&J, brad2v and Moriarity like this.
  28. I regret I missed it all in the 70s. I was into ...er, workin on my drinkin problem and playing with early 70s lowered shortbox chevys, muscle cars and my 64 'vette. Attended my first rod run in Sacramento 1983 and still have my dash plaque.I carried this photo around in my wallet for so long I almost ruined it!
    64vette1972.jpg

MO_JUNK, F&J, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  29. I was there in St Paul in '74 and I remember a few of those cars.

34toddster and F&J like this.
  30. Roadsir

Roadsir

Caption should read: "Track not included"
    Yeah, bring back the blue streaks!
    upload_2017-1-16_20-31-29.png