Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup...nice width to height look and lots of grooves that should make them good in wet weather...if you get caught out and about.
    That a 7" rim?
    My current tires are getting a bit worn and pretty old anyway. Gonna have to upgrade soon I think.

That hub cap just seems to sit in there perfect, don't it!?!?
    I don't see a need for trim rings either. I like the plain look.

2. nobux

nobux

Yep, 15x7 in the rear and 15x5 fronts.

3. roadster2016 (1 of 1).jpg
    I'm running 265/70 x 15's on the rear and 165/65 x 14's on front. I found trim rings for the back wheels but have not found any to fit or will stay on front.

4. Nice photo, Graham.:cool::) JW

loudbang likes this.
  5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Nice picture Graham.
    Enjoyed your and wife's visit at LARS a couple of years ago.
    You have a good eye. Not only in your pictures but in the look of your roadster. It sits just right. love the "smile" of the front axle. Like the way the disks are hidden by the front rims. Could be better if all was painted black. Okay I had to find a little fault.
    Remember you asked. What I'd like to see on your roadster is small 15s in front and full wheel covers all around. I just don't like the new style rims with the holes in them showing.
    Other than that not much I don't like about your roadster for a KIWI ride. LOL
    Others on this thread could do a lot worse than copy it.
    Gary

pcbart, AndersF and need louvers ? like this.
  6. Thanks Gary, I always appreciate your input:)

7. camistheman

camistheman

I really like the looks of your t bucket. I am think about getting one to start building this summer, but I have to finish junior year in high school first. I have a 235 Chevy straight six that needs a good rebuild and a few random old Chevy and GMC truck parts. I have looked at the Speedway Motors basic kit hat costs $3,300. What kind of budget do you think I should be looking at? I am planning to do a dirt cheap six banger hot rod.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

t-rod and need louvers ? like this.
  8. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

The best thing to buy is someone else's stalled project. Look around on Craigslist.

t-rod, need louvers ? and camistheman like this.
  9. Hey Graham, excellent photo of your Roadster but I'm going to throw a spanner in the works as I'm in your situation too. How have you managed to get away without a number plate on the front of your car and where would you hang one if, say, you decided to travel up to the Beach Hop as that is where the Police had a party booking cars for no front plate ?

camistheman and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. Could mount one off the back of the axle on an angle, similar position and look as mine. JW

whiplash1923T and camistheman like this.
  11. hahaha I've got that one all worked out. I carry the front plate under the carpet in the cab, if I ever get stopped it'll be like" sorry officer it just fell off and I haven't had time to re-afix it yet :(" ( with broken cable ties as evidence):D:D:D:D

12. I don't believe setting budgets helps. Budgets tend to stifle creativity. You need to have a picture firmly fixed in your mind as to what YOU want, then work towards that goal as you can afford. That might mean a longer build but you learn how to do stuff as you proceed so that saves money, and you learn how to manage time, money, resources, and how to dicker at swop meets. It becomes more than a project and more of an experience.

13. camistheman

camistheman

Thanks for the help guys. I have been doing some searching on Craigslist, all of the old projects are either rusted out, overpriced, or complete hack jobs. I will keep looking though. There has to be one around.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Some of the Hack jobs are the best as they can be cheap and can usually only require time to fix up the Hack part of the project. JW

camistheman and loudbang like this.
  15. nobux

nobux

That's actually the point of this whole thread. Chip started it years ago when he bought an ugly t-bucket with good bones and showed us how he de-uglified it.

It has some of the best pictures and articles of the beginning of the t-bucket that I have ever seen collected in one place. It inspired me to dig my ugly project back out and give it a new direction. Read it from the beginning Camistheman. You won't be disappointed (or bored).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  16. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Nobux, your bucket sits just right. I like the clean look of the steelies.

Hackerbilt and camistheman like this.
  17. Hi back to Graham and Jeremy especially. I have your idea floating around in my head Jeremy but I was going to make a fancy bracket from the two outer bolts that hold the spring to the frame. But, did you guys know that by law the angle of the plate must not accede a certain angel for our speed cameras so if one has the misfortune to meet a right pr--k of a traffic officer then hopefully we may get away with having the plate down low on a angle plus it should work to help the air flow up into the radiator.

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. Close up of my front plate, 3/4 solid bar with two pieces of 3/4 x 1/4 for the plate to attach to. The solid bar is treaded both ends for mounting to the chassis horns. With the axle out front you could bolt 3/4 x 1/4 to the axle. JW
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  19. Marc, because all speed cameras are much higher than our plates I cant see it as an issue unless they are angled the other way. JW

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Graham

I've got a friend that used the same excuse and even had the plate and broken bracket to prove it.
    The officer's response was "I believe you" as he finished writing the ticket and handed it to my friend. LOL:);):(:mad:

Gary

whiplash1923T and k1w1rodder like this.
  21. No way will I be drilling holes in my new dropped axle Jeremy. The old axle I took off it had an assortment of holes in it for holding the rack and pinion bracket, brake hose clamps and I decided it wasn't the look I was after. No, discreet little brackets to hold the plate will do I believe to keep the law happy. It isn't the speed camera's on poles more the ones hidden in those vans that the law was talking about but, hey, we are all law biding citizens who never exceed the speed limit unless it is closed road events aye.;);)

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  22. I wouldn't want to either but would weld a couple of bosses on the back out of sight. Marc, we are all seen as guilty of speeding, that's why if you have a fast car they make us upgrade our brakes even though we are not allowed to go any faster than the speed limit. JW

whiplash1923T likes this.
  23. OK, time for some T Bucket stuff. This is one of New Zealand's top buckets and has lived in this Museum for nearly forty years. Marc and Graham should now it. JW
    [​IMG]

24. bathcollector

bathcollector

Jeremy, What happened to Alan Hares bucket, the injected sbf one ??

25. I don't remember, will ask around. JW

bathcollector likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I'll be gawd damned! THAT is what I'm talking about. Nobux, we're building the same car except mine is gonna be black. SHIT!!!! I LOVE it!

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's about simplicity. That's what a T Bucket is. When you over think it.....you fail. It happened in the 60's and became a plague in the 70's. All we have to do is return to our "roots" and remember, "No matter how much shit you bolt on to it, it'll never be a Deuce." Norm

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

14", man.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

By the way..... "Simplicity".

Mod's... this is "PG" by today's standards. So......

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017