Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So here we go on the 60 Comet project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justadream, Nov 27, 2016.

1. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

"Ok, I know I got outta hand with every little step pics but just a few more and I will stop. Now im not a welder by FAR but was pretty proud of my welds on the outside plate."

Not to worry, pics are great. Love your enthusiasm, have you decided on the engine choice?

loudbang likes this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

A 460 weighs about 730 lbs. aluminum heads and intake would take off maybe 100 lbs, maybe. If it were mine I'd look for a 351 Windsor and build a 408. The kits for those are reasonable, make good power, keep it at 500 hp and it should be pretty durable.

loudbang likes this.
  3. I like 351Ws too, but the main problem with them is you're limited on intake manifolds; there just isn't much in 'traditional' multi-carb intakes. It's possible to use adaptors and 289/302 intakes but they don't look 'right'. AFAIK, there's only two dedicated multis for these; Price Motorsport makes a 2-4V lo-rise (primarily for the kit Cobra crowd) for Holley carbs, and Edelbrock makes a similar one for the Edelbrock/AFB carbs (but no self-respecting Ford guys would run those carbs...).

4. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Thanks guys. I think im going to stick with the 289, put a stroker kit in it, dont need anything TO rad because im not going to any tracks to race it, its just going to be a mean street car without causing to much trouble, lol.

loudbang likes this.
  5. image.jpeg

kiwijeff, loudbang and justadream like this.
  6. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

justadream likes this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a lil tip from your ol uncle Highlander, use a 3/8 Blair/Hougen Rotabroach sheet metal cutter vs those little spot weld cutters. They're too small and you almost NEVER hit em all dead center. You can drill a partial pilot or a complete pilot hole with an 8th inch drill 1st. The sheet metal cutter will stop on the 1st level of metal immediately, which is huge for saving 1/2 of the split parts. Out of a couple dozen I went all the way through only 2 on the last job. An aside to this, you'll find it getting a little dull after 60-70 spot welds, so instead of tossing it for a new one just reverse the drill and run it backward for 20 seconds or so. That works on holesaws too, running backward to sharpen up a bit. Also with holesaws through sheet metal, right before you get into that wrist torture point of busting through, that's another time to reverse it. Doesn't grab the hole and muller it up, doesn't advance your carpul tunnel (sp?) either. A link to the Rotabroach stuff, and much of it is reasonably priced:

http://www.hougen.com/

8. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Thanks Gammz. I will TRY to keep it interesting.

Gammz likes this.
  9. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I currently have a 64 ranchero we are making more strip than street. And I've came into a 60 ranchero that is going to be all strip. So I will be laying good attention to how ya beef up the floppy ass uni body frame.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

justadream likes this.
  10. droppedstepside

droppedstepside
    from new jersey

I would run the 460, they make nice power with minimal performance parts. Plus they sell old school looking tunnel ram intakes, and there are still old school looking valve covers available cheap. Plus there is
    a falcon with a 429/460 running with the south east gassers, and if they think it fits the criteria your golden!

loudbang likes this.
  11. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Thats awsome, hope you post your build on here for us to follow. Thanks, and to be honest, this is my first build so dont trust what im doing, lol. But if you have questions, the people on here are really helpful and knowlegable on alot of this stuff.

12. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

20170115_161606.jpg Got to sneek out for a little bit to work on the car again today, got my ass chewed by the ol lady because its cleaning day and I thought she meant that I could clean the top side of my frame, make the top plate and weld that in........ Guess not but I did it anyways, lol. Couple pics below. 20170115_122905.jpg 20170115_144003.jpg 20170115_151324.jpg 20170115_161620.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Gammz and loudbang like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

LOL wives must learn to be specific when giving husbands instructions.

justadream and Gammz like this.
  14. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

See, now ANOTHER man that knows what im saying. Lol

loudbang likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cleaning day at my house means my wife will pick up everything I own, and ask if she can throw it out.

kiwijeff, milwscruffy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and drill out your bumper holes.

17. Glad you let me know that I'm not a self respecting Ford guy ;) I always loved Carter carbs and and HAPPY to run Edelbrock's, and those that know me say I Bleed Ford Blue. Here's a dual quad Edelbrock set up on my '32
    32.jpg

T-roaster, B Bay Barn and justadream like this.
  18. Sorry, but when I see that, the next step seems to be adapted Chevy valve covers... LOL

19. OK, them are just fightin words!

20. It's going to be a long build !!!
    Sweet talk Her into letting you buy an engine hoist then stick it to her on cleaning day. The next sweet talking you need to do won't be easy!!

21. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Well I have another sweet talk for her but I really dont think it will work this time unless I use some butter because I need the money now for the front end straight axle now and I found one so I better BUTTER UP BUTTER CUP, LOL.

22. Think back to that cleaning day 'mmmm

You Could have told her,,,
    I've been thinking honey, why don't you let me do your cleaning chores today. You take it easy and do something for yourself.

Because you know what's coming next, right?

Next week when you tell her ,,,
    Hey honey, I figured out what front end I need of the car, I found the best price but I'm going to wait for a free shipping promotion,

She most likely will be thinking you should just get it because you deserve it, if she actually says it or not depends on her and how many times you shanked her on cleaning days.

It works, read the first few pages of my build thread.

23. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Alright, just found out that the front end is a model T, the guy will take $200 for it, pics below. Is it worth it or should I just get the ford econoline dropped out of the van for $250, and thats with them taking it out? Suggestions PLEASE...... and thanks. Screenshot_2017-01-16-20-15-35.png Screenshot_2017-01-16-20-15-50.png Screenshot_2017-01-16-20-16-08.png Screenshot_2017-01-16-20-16-25.png

OORRRRRR........ The front end out of this? The van Screenshot_2017-01-16-20-45-39-1.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  24. Curious as to how the tread width of the Econoline compares to that on the Comet ?

25. I don't see any Model T parts in your pics. Model A maybe.

26. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

In the pics above, your saying the axle is a Model A? How can you tell the difference?

27. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Use the econoline it will be cheaper in the long run.

justadream likes this.
    • That looks like a 33-36 axle. Model A is flatter and it's not a T no way.
    That's a transverse spring set up. The spindles are neat to look at but hard to use. Not a good deal at 200.

The ecoline axle complete with brakes and springs for 250 is a deal.

28. I said Model A maybe. What I should have said was Model A or later. 31Vicky says '33-36, and I believe him.

Model T axles are straight, with no "smile". :)