Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you could pick a TRUCK that epitomizes the word "Hot Rod" what one TRUCK fits that bill?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 12, 2017.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was kinda thinking of the Ayala/Giesler truck, but didn't post it for the same reason.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Mickey Himsl's '29
    IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2298.JPG IMG_2297.JPG

patmanta, rust, edcodesign and 10 others like this.
  3. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. IMG_1384.JPG This is a true hot rod truck !
    IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Wrench666, Jet96, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I would consider both of these hot rod customs. They were an inspiration in my early years.
    dream.truck.jpg The-ala-kart-barris.jpg

6. Fordors

Fordors

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Roadsir

Roadsir

This dude....Mike Qualley from Fargo ND and the Mutt.
    Pretty damn cool ride in my opinion..

upload_2017-1-14_19-15-53.png

waxhead, charleyw, swade41 and 9 others like this.
  8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Video coverage.

9. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Amen!

10. Eh-Bone

Eh-Bone

This truck has a lot of local hotrod pedigree if you ask me! It belonged to a close family friend and originally wore a metallic root-beer color with a flame job identical as you see here. I may be a bit bias because... I was around this truck a fair amount when I was younger. The body work, paint and flames were done by my dad(Les) who's best friends with the original owner. The original owner sold it to a good friend of his, who brought the truck back to its former glory keeping it as it was "back in the day" but adding his fingerprint the least of which was going to a bitchin' black paint job. From what I remember hearing they tried to damn near "twin" the original flame job right down to the smallest detail. I've tried to keep the story short and sweet and is a general idea of the process in the hopes of no offence in the actual work to get this all accomplidhed... So ya I think this is one HOT rod from my earlier days! image.jpg

Wrench666, Jet96, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  11. It's as if Christopher Walken must of advised your dad that he,"needed more flames [cow bell]".
    Your dad is a very talented man!

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The idea of a "hot rod truck" is tough. My mind says the truck you use the shit out of to do all your dirty work as you build the rest. That said, while "Mickey's Mouse" Dean Lowes RPU, Winfield's, and a host of others are bitchin kool, can you see many of those with a greasy old block in the bed? Hauling rusty fenders to the blaster/stripper? Draggin a trailer? I can't. So that hot rod truck, in my head, says less show, more go, hard worker. It's looks might not win a Ridler award, but it's rewards would be 10 times sweeter. Who can show us that?

Marty S and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm loving a lot of the trucks shown on this thread...but I'm gonna go a little off scale(?) with my pick.
    I think my favorite would have to be "Bone-Shaker".
    A Hot Wheels toy that, despite several over the top things like the skull grille shell, is shaping how kids think about Hot Rods and form the desire, from a very early age, to have a vehicle like that.
    Gotta get the kids interested to keep the whole Hot Rod vibe current and alive!

BIG thumbs up to the artist who saw this right from sketch to...tiny reality. :D

images0LIVY21C.jpg

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

15. I think for me a truck or any hot rod for that matter needs to be kept simple. Well all have an idea of what a hot rod is and sometimes it falls into a year constraint other it falls into how fast it is but what epitomizes "hot Rod" anything for me is simplicity.

Show truck aside a hot rod doesn't have over the top finishes or googahs. It is that vehicle that is modified to perform better (than original), you get it in have a good time. It should give you the impression that it is ready to "raise hell, and put a brick under it."

Note: Lots of fine hot rods in this thread. Pretty or not, lots of fine trucks in this thread. each has its own charm.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If you could pick a TRUCK that epitomizes the word "Hot Rod" what one TRUCK fits that bill?
    [​IMG]

17. Danny, I totally agree with you. Jake's truck was one that I fell in love with, as a kid. (although, offered the choice of which one I would prefer to own, I would choose his panel truck!!!)

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mission Fathers Day in the Park, twenty some years ago.
    ScanImage001.jpg

Jet96 and kiwijeff like this.
  19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't find a pic to scan, I tried. We had a 62 F-100 short-uni. In it's 1st life it was a DST "shop truck" that was a precursor to the XL-100 drag trucks. This one had a 430 MEL in it with a T-bird dash and steering column and an automatic trans. After it's "work duty" (whatever that was) it was given a 4.30 rear with welded spiders and sent to the streets to raise hell in the hands of Dick Mitchell (who drove in the Comet durability run and numerous other ARCA campaigns). Long story short it ended up in the hands of my dear uncle who felt he had a winner, something that would finally beat the old man's Fordillac creations. At the time our special of the day was a 67 F-100 with a 429 Caddy and automatic pushing through a 3.20-something gear. They raced and the 62 barely pulled the ol man. "Let me put my new plugs in and go again." "Yeah right, go ahead." That 429 was a little tired and used about a qt of every week, the plugs looked like victims of barbecue grille, caked with greasy lumps of carbon. They raced again and dear ol d Dad put a 1/2 truck length on the 62. Seems that 4.30 was too much for the MEL, it just didn't breathe well. He adds a Holley 750 from Hollywood Speed Shop and finds us with a load of busted concrete in the back from a side job, on our way to dump it where some fill was needed. From a roll I was shocked how close we were but with 1/2 ton of fill, well...
    So they meet up at Hubbard and Southfield in Dearborn, my cousin was with him so we had help dumping the concrete. They raced, not once but 3 times and it was always the same. The tired old Cad put a full truck length on the 62 MEL. Upset and fed up, we're off to our house where he declares "Find me an old Cadillac dammit! I've had it with this boat anchor!" We find a forgotten 63 sedan with a 390 and Turbo-Hydramatic, the 3 spd 'PRND2L' pattern. That was a Sat afternoon. By the following Tuesday evening we were out testing the 62 uni. The tired old 429 had NOTHING for that 390. It had only about 41K miles on it so it was still plenty healthy. We swapped the gear to a 3.30-something and it could pull us by 2-3 lengths every time. We ended up with it about 6 months later and I took it to my HS one day and beat the classmate's 73 Camaro with the 350 4 spd fairly easy. He was pissed, and to this day would declare he just "gave up" because he was scared. Yeah right. I don't know where it went, someone in town had it for a year or 2 and I lost track of it. It was in and around Allen Pk MI back in the mid-late 70s, used to be Ford "Poppy Red" orange with chrome reverse wheels. Hot rod truck? That's my vision...

20. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

21. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0301.JPG My F100 nuthin fancy for sure...77 Camaro front clip and single leaf rear suspension. 327 auto. Sure its a bastard, but its MY bastard.......wash and drive. The Tudor and the F100 together at a local Toys for Tots show

exterminator likes this.
  22. Mine isn't the epitome of a Hot Rod truck, but it's all I got, and I do use it. IMG_20160429_193821.jpg

23. While I never hauled a "greasy block" in my old RPU, it did hold it's own as a race car, show car, and hauled my ass to school all at the same time in my life. It also hauled my wife on our first date in 1963.

24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

IMG_0278.JPG Like MY TRUCKS, obviously!...BUT this truck is a real HOTROD,

25. foghorn62

foghorn62

Personally, I've always thought that Jimmy Shine's 34 had a real "hotrod" appeal. BTW, Jimmy sold the truck at BJ two years ago for $215K to help finance his shop. The guy that bought it sold it again at this year's BJ just a few hours ago for under $90K (can't remember the exact figure but I think it was about $87K). Ouch! Over $125K loss in just two years! jimmy-shine-34-pickup00.jpg

26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

1940 Ford , Like the one Boyd built.
    I do not want one all dolled up , For every day work truck , a pretty much staight body,
    With Patina paint .

27. Willy_P

Willy_P

DSCN6798.JPG DSCN6801.JPG

This 23 T roadster flattie belongs to member "Doc" Parsons in Tulsa, and is a real nice unit. These photos were from the 2013 StrayKat 500 in Dewey OK.

Attached Files:

JOYFLEA and kiwijeff like this.
  28. Well I don't like the headlights. :D:D :D

You're down under so I can be as far off base as anyone alive but the truck looks like it started life as a t coupe. I am totally wrong about this, correct? I like the truck by the way but my curiosity is just getting the best of me here.

@Willy_P I had opportunity to get up close and personal with that little truck back in the '90s at Dallas/Ft Worth. That truck is the culmination of a collection of parts stated in the '50s, as I recall nothing is post '62 not even the glass roadster body. The intake is one of two Indy intakes and those modular front wheels are Crietz. Way before the modular wheel craze ever happened. really a neat little truck.

kiwijeff and Willy_P like this.