Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OH NO I RUINED MY SHOEBOX!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by tudorfritz, Jan 10, 2017.

1. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Really nice car! Beautiful work too,if you can do metal work like that it is almost a shame to paint over it!

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to the drive to work video...;)

tudorfritz likes this.
  3. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

tudorfritz likes this.
  4. the-rodster

the-rodster

You screwed up a really nice car.....I like it.

Rich

TruckDrivingSOB and tudorfritz like this.
  5. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Yeah, you really did ruin it, oh my...

I'd gladly take that junker off your hands!

tudorfritz likes this.
  6. Man how did I how did miss this I live in Horseheads! This is going to be Great the chop looks Awesome! I hope to see it someday in person. Hobo Jim

tudorfritz likes this.
  7. I'll have to make one with the Shoebox. After 21 years working at that shop I quit my job last March. I now work for one of the biggest collision shops in the area. My old job was 2 1/2 miles from my house, the new job is 3 miles in the opposite direction. So the video will be 30 seconds longer. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Jim the guy's name was Dan Hays I think. He's a dealer of classic cars. I didn't know he was a dealer until I pulled into his place. I don't really like dealing with car dealers but the car was so solid I couldn't pass it up.

9. Yeah that's about a mile from my house they have been dealing vintage cars since I was a kid and I'm 50 its funny I don't know anyone local who has bought from him. You have a Great looking car and I love what you are doing to make it yours! That model A is killer! Hobo Jim

tudorfritz likes this.
  10. Nice....another nice factory color was the dark green metallic my grandfather's 50 club coupe was painted. kinda plain 'till the sun hit it. I've had several light green shuboxes and never liked that color...prolly because every school I ever attended had walls that color.

loudbang and tudorfritz like this.
  11. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

Very nice chop, waiting for more pics.

tudorfritz likes this.
  12. DHeep

DHeep

I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for showing more technical steps of your work. Most chop threads jump from mock up to completed metal work. You actually showed the cuts you made to tighten the corner radius and I appreciate it.

Great work!

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

The chop looks like it will be in between mine (4 front 5 rear ).....

3.JPG

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

And the Chris Casny shoebox ( 5 front 7 rear)...

lowtech_casny_shoebox15.jpg

15. sololobo

sololobo

sweet, done good, no harm, no foul

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

4" chops are the best looking on shoeboxes IMO.Mine is chopped 4" from front and 4" from back,but i guess 1" or two more from back doesnt hurt anybody.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm liking it. The sedans always looked funky to me, like a four door with the rear doors welded up. Yours now has smooth lines like the coupe, and better proportions IMHO.

18. I actually followed your thread and Casnys build for inspiration, thanks.
    How much headroom is there in the back seat of your Shoebox? The only one that ever really sits in the back of mine is my son, he's only like 50" tall so it shouldn't be a problem now.

loudbang likes this.
  19. I couldn't stand the back part of the roof before it's like it had a bubble above the back window. I've had more than one guy tell me my car use to be a four door lol. I really wanted a coupe when I was looking for a Shoebox but all the ones I found were either way expensive or roached and expensive. If this car had been a coupe I wouldn't have chopped it, I would have just done the Pontiac side trim and a paint job.

56don likes this.
  20. I finished up the drivers side B pillar last night. Not much to show but here is how I fixed the lower corner. There's probably a couple different ways of doing it I think this was the simplest way. [​IMG]
    I put a few relief cuts in the pinch weld and cut around the outside edge of the opening. I tapped the inside down slightly till it looked like it had a flowing curve to the corner. I made a template out of poster board off the passenger side so they would be the same. [​IMG]
    I made a little wedge patch out of 18ga to fill the gap. I have a old railroad rail I made a anvil out of. I used that to make the one part of the patch have a little curve to match the curve in the window opening. [​IMG]
    I always like to tack stuff together with the mig, then grind the tacks down and tig weld it all up. [​IMG]

21. When I cut the pillars A, B and the door top I took the piece that was cut out and used that as a inner sleeve. It's helped line the two parts up better and gives it more strength. This is the section I cut out of the door top and used as the sleeve. I couldn't believe how clean it was. 67 years old , bare metal and that's all the rust it has. [​IMG]

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Great shoebox . The chop is flowing nicely and it's got great proportions . I would keep the single spear side trim as it adds the look speed to the car that the chop does as well. The 55 trim breaks those lines and looks awkward .

tudorfritz likes this.
  23. Scott nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you really messed up this time.
    I mean the metal debris on floor, chop is spot on!

For a minute I was wondering about the whining noise, but obviously it was just
    the previous owner passing my property on his way to east.

24. erwin seemann

erwin seemann

wow admiring your work, i've been there making a convertible and thinkinking of converting a 150 57 chevy delivery wagon into an el camino 57 and seeing your pictures encourages me again thanks!!

tudorfritz likes this.
  25. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

This car is that solid.My son and I went over to take a look last weekend. Scott always does very good work.My son was very inspired.And Scotts young son is well on his way to being a gearhead also.I,ll bet he can hardly wait to get his first license!!

tudorfritz likes this.
  26. Thanks Jim, you and Geoff are welcome over anytime. Cooper is definitely a big gear head already
    [​IMG]

BFXJason, slv63, Woogeroo and 7 others like this.
  27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I see that you are back at it, the chop looks awesome. Keep up the good work. I will be watching. Frank

tudorfritz likes this.
  28. Nice work! My opinion is that it's YOUR car now. Do what you want! :)

tudorfritz likes this.
  29. PanelDragger

PanelDragger

tudorfritz likes this.
  30. papajohn

papajohn

Very nice work. You should change the thread title to "Oh no. I have improved my shoebox!".

I have loved that gold a long time. Would look awesome with a bright white interior.

tudorfritz likes this.