Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tow truck mayhem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diegochero, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Hi all out in H.A.M.B land. I scored a 26 T roadster body on a 28 model A frame with fenders, running boards, and a bed. The fender and running board on the passenger side did not make the tow. The tow guy wants to take care of it, but I am not sure if he knows where to look or what to get. Wondering if anyone has some sheet metal they can part with the fenders are 28-29 model A. Thanks! I'll post pics tonight.

2. i would love to hear more of the story.

3. The car was owned by the sellers deceased brother. When I first saw it I was actually there looking at another car for a friend, and that's when I noticed this little T. It had a good look sitting on the model A frame with the fenders and the truck bed. Some might say it's funky, but I like that sort of thing. I asked the guy about it and he said he was going to finish the project in honor of his brother. Out of respect I backed off and did not pay much further attention to it. The other car was not what my buddy had hoped, and as we left I told the seller if he ever feels like he is not going to do the T, or just needs some help with the project / parts to let me know.
    The following Monday he called and said he was thinking over the weekend and realized that he just has too much on his plate right now for a project, and if I wanted the car I could come and get it. I went back to the guys place, scoped out the car, paid his asking price. I had it towed to my shop and that is when the car lost it's passenger side fender, splash apron, and running board. As pissed as I was, I could see the tow guy felt horrible. He said the seller could not control his dog, and did not put it in the house. David the tow guy is a big dude, but he has been attacked by dogs before, and it wigs him out. So in all that, he wanted to get the hell out of there in a hurry, and that's when he neglected to check the load. I know the fenders were on there with some bolts, but I can see where the fender caught the wind and tore off. It sucks I lost these parts, but whoever ran them over on the freeway had to have messed up their car. I may be more mad about that actually...... David says he will find me replacement parts, but I don't think he knows what to look for. That's why I have reached out to the H.A.M.B

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Post pictures of what you have, these guy can hook you up I am sure!

5. So here are the pics I promised.

20170112_130212.jpg 20170112_130140.jpg 20170112_130148.jpg 20170112_130204.jpg

6. Squablow

Squablow

Neat little car. Those pieces are all available new in steel, but I don't think it'd be real hard to find some decent used originals either. Even new ones aren't incredibly expensive if you have to go that route.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If they were not mounted good you really can not blame the tow truck driver,got to make sure everything is tight before moving.

Hombre, Texas57 and iwanaflattie like this.
  8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

paging Jim Sibley.......

9. desotot

desotot

Yep, that's what we in Canada call a bummer.

10. Not really worrying about fault at this point. Really what's the good in that? David feels bad, I'm bummed, and I am pretty sure who ever crumbled that fender up on the freeway was pissed. At least he got the fender off the freeway.

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When life hands you lemons make a margarita . Take off the left side fender, running board and build a fenderless buggy

Bill Nabors likes this.
  12. I did catch myself thinking " well if I sell the bed, the right fender and running board stuff, I bet I could replace that with a turtle deck" I guess the bummer is, I liked the vision of where the guy was going with it. It would be cool to see that through.

slv63 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand you had a vision and want to build it . A full fendered pickup would be cool. You've ask the right group for help. If I had parts I'd PM you.

diegochero likes this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great start to a cool car! I've thought about running 'A' splash aprons on my '27 T sedan that's on an A frame.

diegochero likes this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a really easy solution. sell the good fender and side apron and build a fenderless RPU.
    I know it can be done ;) :D

diegochero likes this.
  16. desotot

desotot

28-9 A fenders do look good on a T.

tb33anda3rd and diegochero like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

So, basically this is a Wanted Ad? Looks like a regular 28-9 front fender and splash apron. There are probably a dozen in the classifieds right now if you scroll far enough. Or wait til the next swap meet and you will find another dozen. Good ones aren't cheap, and I bet your driver will pay way more than his towing fees. A cherry front fender alone is well over a hundred, maybe two.

18. The plan was suppose to be post a, "hey check out my project thread", but unfortunately there is some added content to the mix. I guess you could call it a "damn look what happened, anybody got some sheet metal, for my new junk thread.?" Yup just a plain Jane model a fender and splash shield, I am not smart enough to tell a 28 from a 29, I just don't want it to look weird. And I agree 100-300 seems to be the price range. Yes I have dug through a bunch of classifieds, most are for pairs. I totally get someone not wanting to break a pair up. In all I hope I have provided a little more content than just the run of the mill wanted add. I would also like to post some content as I work on this thing, so I hope my actions and intentions are not out of line. I have had a lot of really good people offer to keep their eyes peeled for me, friends in the midwest, David the driver thinks he found a fender up in Banning, all in addition to my efforts of checking online. Right now I am going to see what unfolds and get to doing because sitting around whining does nothing. Tomorrow my goals are to tack the front radius rod mounts, and the motor mounts.

19. alchemy

alchemy

A 28 fender is the same as a 29. Except for very rare Early 28 fenders which will still bolt on and 99.999% of guys would never notice the difference.

Splash aprons are really hard to find in decent shape (always got kicked). And the repros I've seen are not very good quality. You'll probably need more luck finding that apron.

20. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

21. Thanks! fired off a response your way.

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hell just break out the hammers and dollies and straighten those parts up and use them! Send David a bill for labor to fund the rest of the project! BAM! Problem solved!

23. I admire that gumption, but these things are so wadded up there is no saving them. This one won't buff out.....

24. Stay with fenders. This looks like a great project, and HAMBers are here to help, so figure it won't take much time before you have that right front fender and splash apron you need. Keep us posted.

25. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

When life gives you gators, make Gatorade!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I still like the fenderless option :D
    A couple of shots of mine.
    roadster outside ! 001 (2).jpg roadster outside ! 002 (2).jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    1927graham, Okie Pete and diegochero like this.
  27. Rckt98

Rckt98

Sorry but I think it looks way better with the fenders. IMHO.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was just looking for something totally unrelated about an hour ago, and noticed this neat little T RP with '28/'29 fenders. Must have been a reason.:D
    rpu01.jpg rpu02.jpg rpu03.jpg

Saxman, kiwijeff, verde742 and 4 others like this.
  29. chopndrop

chopndrop

30. Thanks to all for the pm's, advice, and reference material. ChopNdrop, Falcon George, and Blue One thanks, it's nice to know it is not just me. Growing up as a kid in the eighties it is hard to not associate model T's with lots of brass, flat wheels, and indy tires. My friends look at me with disgust when I tell them about the T, and then when I say I am going for an earlier 50's style they look puzzled.

20170114_140300.jpg

Friday night and Saturday were very productive. Friday I figured my engine set back, installed motor mount perches, tacked the radius rod bracket back on the frame, and tacked the steering box mount in place.

20170113_192333.jpg

20170113_182823.jpg
    20170113_184229.jpg

Saturday started off by planning and making a parts list, Then David the tow truck driver showed up with some sheet metal! The fender is whooped but not as bad as what the car showed up with LOL! The splash shield and the running boards are off of a AA truck because they are short. I was just excited at this point because David came through, and I could scrape my little truck back together! I figured out the riser height for the Bed, tacked the fenders on, and tried out one of the AA running boards.
    20170114_140312.jpg

20170114_140331.jpg