Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pics: 1974 Street Rod Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham Hood, Jan 10, 2017.

1. I was there !!!!!!

dan31 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. ................Sorry, the shot that I posted came from my copy of the 4th edition of the Hot Rod magazine Street Rod Pictorial. It was the only view in there. 01112017.jpg

3. The '40 Standard Coupe of aircraft mechanic, Orville Adair really tripped my trigger back then. Say what you might about 70's vibe, I'd be proud to drive that car today just as it was in 1974. 01112017_0001.jpg

dan31, F&J, 47ragtop and 5 others like this.
  4. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I'm going by what he told me last year when I bought the car and contacted him. Couldn't have been too may Iowa Anglias back then? Hard to confirm, but I'm sure he told me he painted the car it's current colors, right after the 74 nats.

F&J likes this.
  5. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I hadn't seen the magazine, but after I had talked with him a few times, it seems like it is likely possible, that is my car?

F&J likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

flatheads are the new bellybutton...

zzford and F&J like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great photos and some great stories added in to go with them.
    I went to the 73 nationals in Tulsa with my 48 (painted gold) an helped a buddy put together a rather infamous 27 T in 75 that went to Memphis with a turtle deck made out of the back end of a 55 Chevy. I've been hunting for my photos from that time frame but no luck finding the albums.

F&J and falcongeorge like this.
  8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny you say that, there were two Anglias in the Iowa town (pop 1200) I grew up near. One was a dismantled (or more likely never finished) drag car, second was a street car, white with blue tinted windows on Cragars. Curious if anyone remembers seeing the white one around central/SE Iowa back in the 70s, it was only in our town for a short while before being sold. Thanks for allowing me to ramble!

F&J likes this.
  9. rfraze, F&J and KKrod like this.
  10. Roadsir

Roadsir

Wow man I was there. 10 years old. Keep'em coming. My uncle just gave me a bankers box of early 70s mags. Rod Action, Street Rodder, Hot Rod. Strange, but cool times, a kaleidoscope of styles.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

F&J likes this.
  12. There are also links there to other 70's nationals. On the left side of the page.

F&J likes this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Now George, I wished they did sell new crate Flathead's. :)
    Very good point though. Those years were still the SBC days of hotrodding.
    Now it's more of a mix with a lot of other types mixed in. I for one am glad to see this change of heart.

F&J likes this.
  14. A Boner

A Boner

And 32 roadsters are the new T buckets...

zzford, F&J, OL 55 and 3 others like this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

I Loved your photos Graham.
    The '70's produced some of the coolest and wildest Hot Rods ever seen.
    I loved the BIG-FAT rear tires and the styling.
    Your Dad's Coupe is WAY cool .... I hope you keep it just like it is in that picture.

I'll look at a 1000 pictures of 70's ear Hot Rods !!!!

Thank you for sharing with us,
    God Bless
    Glenn

F&J, brad2v, jnaki and 3 others like this.
  16. really cool trip back....man I really love me a polyglass tire......thanks for posting !

F&J, deadbeat and Phillips like this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

F&J likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can't tell if this is slamming T's or deuce roadsters, either way, I kind of agree with the statement as a whole.
    We (I) can thank Dee Wescott for pioneering the glass 32 bodies like the evolution of the glass T roadster bodies, sure has made it possible for many of us to enjoy this great lifestyle.
    I did not use the word hobby as I think true hot rodders are much more than hobbyists.

F&J and Graham Hood like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Graham, nice photos that your dad took back then. It is great to have them preserved. The physical slides and photos will deteriorate, but scanning them digitally to your computer will preserve them for quite a long time. Great job for history. Glenn mentioned that BIG-FAT rear tires and styling was prevalent during that time period. They certainly were as the trend was all over the USA. These are BIG-FAT rear tires:
    upload_2017-1-12_4-38-13.png (my photo from a street rodder mag)
    Here on the West Coast, this 28 Ford Sedan Delivery was one of the top cars of that time period. Big Tires, Jag independent rear, and Buick Skylark wires were the epitome of that early 70's styling period. It was a cross between a hot rod and a cruiser. Those add on build items were the hot ticket to a great looking and functioning car.
    The late Lee Bright, San Diego Prowlers...
    Jnaki

rfraze, F&J, need louvers ? and 2 others like this.
  20. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

This one has been around forever. I last saw it at the Nats North in Detroit years ago. Anybody know if its still around. Thought a gentleman in Michigan owned it.
    [​IMG]

Cyclone Kevin, F&J and falcongeorge like this.
  21. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Great Pics! I grew up in the Twin Cities area, so a lot of those cars are burned into my brain from my childhood!

22. The car below used to be owned (and I believe built) by Jack Picknik . Jack and his wife Peggy were driving forces in Michigan hot rodding in the 70's and early 80"s. At one time, both were ISCA judges.

The car is still around. I saw it in Louisville either this past year or the year before. Not sure who owns it now.

F&J likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

No slam....used to be a crap load of T buckets, now it's 32's. I like both of them.

zzford and F&J like this.
  24. I thought someone on here owned it now. I remember seeing a thread on it.
    I searched but no luck. At least not yet....

F&J likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

good job Sancho, I was thinking the same thing.

F&J likes this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

Rice N Beans is the current HAMBer/owner.

F&J and falcongeorge like this.
  27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha! This was awesome! I was about ten, and we lived about a mile and a half north of the fairgrounds at the time, so I was there. Somewhere in all of this, was my mom and dad's green, and our purple T-buckets with for sale signs. Both sold before the end of the show, and that was that for my parents, who had split earlier in the year. I never saw either car in show coverage in the magazines, nor here. Or ever again, for that matter.

Tons of the participants stayed at the Paul Bunyan Hotel, up the road from our house. So each night, after dad dropped me off, I'd jump on my Sting Ray and pedal up there to partake in the parking lot doings, from a distance of course.

Having been in my dad's shops daily, Racing Unlimited, since I was a toddler, most of the local cars were very familiar. Still are. I could see most of them in my minds eye, but in pictures is better!

Thanks for that Graham.

F&J, RICH B, bowie and 2 others like this.
  28. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Unfortunately for me time and my abilites put the car on hold for a few years, I just sold it a collector who is having it completely restored correctly, I recently spoke with Jack and he is pleased, look for the debut at the 2018 GNRS

F&J, Chucky, loudbang and 3 others like this.