Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Steel In Motion - May 19 and 20, 2017

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Geargoyle Curtis, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

It is time to get your plans together for the best Traditional Rod and Custom event on the east coast.

[​IMG]

Union County Dragway, Union SC
    2102 Santuc-Carlisle Hwy, Union, SC 29379

Hosted by the Geargoyles CC

> Pre-70 Traditional Hot Rods, Customs, Gassers, FEDs, Funny Cars, Altereds, Choppers and Bobbers
    > Grudge style drag racing both Friday and Saturday
    > Run with the Christmas tree on Friday
    > No lights on Saturday, just an old school drop of a flag
    > Flag Girls
    > Featuring the Southeast Gassers
    > The Southeast Gassers will qualify on Friday night and eliminations on Saturday
    > Killer Car Show
    > Cackle Crawl
    > Vintage mini bike show
    > Vintage Bicycle Show
    > Vintage Camper Show
    > Live Bands
    > Pin Up Contest
    > Pinstripers
    > Vendors
    > Swap Meet
    > Free overnight camping
    > Gates open at 9 am on Saturday and 12 pm on Friday
    > Registration $20, Spectators $15

No billet wheels, plus sized, pro-touring wheels, or directional wheels.

Drag cars must be vintage or vintage styled, no 80s/90s or current age style drag cars.

Please go to our website for more information.

www.steelinmotion.net

2. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

PARK CLOSER TO EACH OTHER
    We can't be thankful enough for what a spectacular show 2016 was. It was the largest show to date with the show grounds and spectator parking area packed out. Even with help from fellow car clubs the task of putting on the show is a feat in itself. This is where I will ask each of you to give us a hand this year. It became difficult for folks to try to find a place to park on the show side of the track by 11 am on Saturday. As we rode through the show grounds trying to locate parking for folks coming through the gate, it was evident that we had under utilized the land by allowing some people to spread out too much. We will have additional help this year for parking on the show side but will ask upfront that everybody do us a big favor this year and park closer to each other. We are not asking that you park so close to each other that you are worried about the person next to you opening their door on your car but please do not spread out no more than is necessary. Thanks so much for the support and your understanding.

3. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

As we always have, each registered participant will receive an 11x17 show poster. Here is the 2017 version completed by none other than the Geargoyles very own Cassandra Hicks.

[​IMG]

4. Always a great time! Can wait for May to get here.

beachbum jim likes this.

5. If all goes well this year we. will be there,if we can make both days we will bring Buckshot Betty for the weekend. HRP

Geargoyle Curtis likes this.
  6. Can't wait! The poster isn't showing up for me .....

beachbum jim likes this.
  7. Looking forward to it! My truck will be there this year, come hell or high water!

8. Curtis - what's the sea level at the track?

9. The ocean is a long way away from union so you won't need any swim fins!:D

It's 643 today but it fluctuates beteen 500 and 700. HRP

10. jim snow

jim snow

Will be there again with the Assorted Nuts. Snowman

beachbum jim and SCtattooer like this.
  11. Jim is your car blue? You have a bigger pic?

12. jim snow

jim snow

image.jpg Black. Photo by Motoandy.

catdad49 and Geargoyle Curtis like this.
  13. Sweet! I'm looking for a blue that color :rolleyes:

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Arew there 2 threads going on SIM? I posted last night on another thread that I'll be there and already have Quality Inn reservations.
    And I also got into a trash talking about a race with seadog.
    What gives?:confused:

mad mikey likes this.
  15. Can't wait for SIM!!
    Hopefully there will not be any killer pitbulls there this year.

16. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

The better half and I are looking forward to it.

17. Dave,you senile old coot,you threw down the gauntlet with seadog on the old farts social group. :D HRP

mad mikey likes this.
  18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, I can't deny being an old coot, and the senility iss getting closer at times, but the challenge to seadog on Old Farts was last yeat for RWYB in Oct.
    Merlin has started another thread on SIM, I think previous to the start of this one, and I challenged Tombo again over there since he didn't make it ti Reynolds, GA for RWYB.
    Last post he was trying to get me to give him a 2 car length spot:confused:

mad mikey likes this.
  19. HUM,last year~ I suppose you ain't the only senile old coot here.but I do have a good memory about things that happen the past,would you believe,oh never mind. :rolleyes: HRP

20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Had plans to go last year, but Dr. had other plans, maybe this is the year I make it! Joe

tetanusshot and Dog_Patch like this.
  21. Can't wait, not thinkin the coupe will be ready yet, but will definetly bring the mini bikes out. Always have fun diggin through at the swap meet.

22. Here is a shot of the SFCC "pits" from last year for some inspiration. I WILL be driving my '47 bowtie, it'll be ugly but it will be running.
    13221484_10102206443217133_2052809439575284161_n.jpg IMG_7558.JPG

23. The problem with Steel In Motion is it's really only a good time if you're into drag racing, old cars, swap meets, bands, beer, pin-up girls, camping, bullhorns, hanging out with other car clubs, back-up girls, the South East Gassers, BBQ, moonshine, hot rods, customs, bikes, full track burn-outs, dry hops, wheel stands, the smell of burning rubber and race gas. Beyond that it's really no fun at all.

[​IMG]

24. Look at this picture. It's Dave's roadster: note the chevy small block, note the multiple carbs, the fat, slick tars, the headers.
    Wiring Chapter2-3.jpg
    All I have is a puenny little 289 with a 4 barrel and hiway gears (and radial tars). Shoot, He should give me THREE lengths!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and oldsjoe like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hell Tombo, it's all in fun, and if we can figger out a way acceptable to the starting line crew then I'll give you a spot or two. But I don't know how to do that without either you getting out to the front where you can't see the flag or the Xmas tree, or me being back so far that the starting line crew is gonna be in a dangerous spot. Maybe we can figger something out between now and then.

oldsjoe likes this.
  26. You're right, Dave. Spotting me just won't work. Guess it will have to be heads up. Maybe I can go on a diet and drop a few pounds before May...could knock of a few thousandths of a second.:D

oldsjoe likes this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

There's an old street racing term called "giving the leave" which means the fast car waits till the car that wants a spot starts turning his wheel before he leaves. Perhaps that would go a way towards evening things up?

oldsjoe likes this.
  28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

On edit: Right now you've got me beat hands down anyhow as mine is kaput till I get time to figger out what went wrong @ RWYB. Car would start and run fine, then wouldn't start if you cut it off. I have gone thru fuel system, unable to find anything there. Holidays and trip out of town have kept me off working on it.
    Going to work on ignition system soon as I get over the cataract surgery tomorrow morning on my right eye.

29. Good luck with the cataract surgery. I'm getting closer to needing that myself.

30. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Putting the dirty old man in Dirty Old Man last year :D

[​IMG]