Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pics: 1974 Street Rod Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graham Hood, Jan 10, 2017.

1. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic! I was there. I do recognize quite a few of the cars. It was a very much more simple time of life.
    Thanks for the memories!

2. alchemy

alchemy

I love the Minnesota State Fairgrounds! I recognize a ton of those cars, and a few are still around in much the same condition. Sonnen's 40, the Peiknik Vicky, and a couple more. I remember my Dad talking with the owner of the black 34 3-window at the 77 Nationals and a couple years later (maybe the 79 Nationals also held in St. Paul?) seeing it with some repaired front sheetmetal after an altercation. Wonder where that car is now?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I could be wrong; but I don't think that is Gene's '40. There is a picture of Gene and his deuce roadster about a dozen pictures in and further down there's a shot of the tail of his '40 coupe. Remember dodging that little green RC C-panel truck that was zipping around, streets a lot less crowded back then with more cruising less parking. Lots of familiar cars in those shots, thanks for sharing.

4. I have thousands of slides and negs from the 60's - 70's, if I find more like these I will be sure to post them!

TerrytheK, F&J, KKrod and 11 others like this.
  5. ^ YES! Please do...

F&J, brad2v, drdave and 1 other person like this.
  6. I was going to mention almost none are chopped but someone beat me to it.

A lot of guys that think hacking up vintage tin (just for the sake of doing it) because it shows that your a real traditional Hot Rodder should take note.

Cool pics.

leon bee, F&J, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

GREAT pictures and quite a variety. Thank you!

F&J likes this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

so refreshing to see painted and upholstered cars. not a ratrod or patina paint job in the bunch! Thank you

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You could smell the aroma of burnt weed in the air.
    21 then. Married with my first child. Driving a brand new silver Vega GT. (They charged extra for the rust as you drove it off the dealership)

And you guys think the 90's styles were bad. :)
    No chops, tires outside the fenders with the rear ends setting up like it was in heat.
    Small Street rod headlights setting high like satellite dishes and if you seen a car setting low or on the grass, someone left the air out of the tires.
    Thanks for the memories. Great pics.

F&J and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Steamrollers, back and front were pretty common too..
    Thanks for the great pics and the stroll down memory lane.:D

zzford and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. Ron ,{ this is just me.} But in the 70s I thought if it wasn't chopped it wasn't finished. The first thing I did when I got the car home was take the hack saw to it. Now days I would not have the guts to cut the top off my 34 delivery. 121.jpg 371.jpg 486.jpg And I like seeing the tops,{ NOT Chopped} on everything now days. That just me. And Thanks Graham, and Sorry for the detour .

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

F&J and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big thanks to you for posting these Graham! So many great rides, hard to pick any out as favorites, but that Vicky on wires, hot damn. These shots take me back to being a farm kid standing in the yard watching cars go by on their way to shows back in the early 70s. Lots of fenders, two tone paint jobs, wide tires and rakes. I know it's technically out of bounds for the site, but there are quite a few other threads with 70s rod runs on here, so hopefully it stays up.

14. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Great seeing those pics. You can just see the beginnings of those awful 80's custom trends starting to surface in some of those photos.

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Far out man, ;) thanks for posting.

deadbeat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Sure was a lot of young guys at the car shows back then.

deadbeat, i.rant, 49ratfink and 2 others like this.
  17. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

I think the BLUE FLAMED 32 was purchased by a friend (have no contact in 25 years) it was then located in Nashville TN. for a few years (SHADETREE STREET RODS) and then they re-located to TX. We called him screw loose (Delbert) and her name was Yvonne. If anyone knows there location sure would like to here from them.

18. stingbean

stingbean

19. .................You're right, the front view car isn't his. It sure is nice though. img039.jpg

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this one was in a magazine, I'll say Rod Action ? though that was a long time ago. the 70's were my "formative years" got a subscription to Street Rodder when I was 12 (1972) and have been hooked ever since.

EDIT: hey look ^^^^^ there it is in another magazine

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  21. First of all thank you very much Graham for posting these pictures;they bring back a lot of memories. What I really like about them is they are made from slides which at the time was the best way to photograph anything. Seems like all the magazine photographers used Ektachrome slide film to shoot the cars and you can tell a slide from a regular pic by the clarity and color resolution. Thanks again and please post more!

loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  22. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I don't know where it is now, but at that time it was owned by Tom Plunket (sp) of Street Rods Ltd. Chicago Ill.

23. ...........................and you are absolutely correct. He did have his Roadster there as well. 01102017_0001.jpg 01102017_0002.jpg

HEMI32, AHotRod, deadbeat and 4 others like this.
  24. Seepwater

Seepwater

I was there! St. Paul was a great site and Columbus came in 2nd.

lothiandon1940 and deadbeat like this.
  25. Thanks for posting the great pictures. I was there with my tone blue '32 sedan. Those were great times.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Ah, the old "Street is Neat" days. I didn't make to a Nationals until 75 in Memphis. Good memories of those days.

27. It's like having the Freak Flag flying again! Thanks for the pics.

28. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I think the flamed '40 with 5-spokes is Lobecks'. Could be wrong, but I think.... I grew up in the 70's going to all these Nats, picnics, poker runs, etc. and it was a magical time for a young gearhead.

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paul55: I agree, as soon as I saw the pic his name popped into my head. That one is hard to forget!