Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New Coker Bias look radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O And your post contributes to this threads topic how ?

chopper99 likes this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I purchased a set of black wall American Classics a few months back. The guy that mounted them said that he had never seen a Coker tire that was round. He mounted them on my rims , gave them a spin and they hardly took any weight at all. And they are a real pleasure to look at in my opinion. I am very happy with them, and I got a HAMB alliance discount on top of it. The funny part was him arguing with me that were bias tires, not radials. He didn't buy off until he read the side wall.
    tire.jpg

V8-m, Roothawg, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  3. I have not run these coker tires yet so can't comment on them, but the hunter machines are sweet. I spent 9 years at a dealership with one and I will say coker isn't the only tire that sells tires that vibrate. I've dealt with lots of tires that were unable to be corrected with road force, wether they were Michelin or maypops. Personally i found a lot of tires were damaged by being near the bottom of the stack for storing and shipping.

4. bondolero

bondolero

I have a new pair of coker 700x16 nostalgia radials on the rear of my ford and they wop, wop, wop
    even at slow speeds. Wanted to put firestone black pie crusts on instead but you guys scared the hell of me ! I think I will buy a set of $300 cooper china tires and have a lot less money invested in another set of tires good for only rollers.
    Have to amend my post about the cokers. Turns out the noise was the fact that between my bts wide five wheels and some water jet cut wide five adapters, the tires weren't the problem.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  5. josh77

josh77

Jess from Coker contacted me via the HAMB, and sent me another pair to try. There has to be a belt issue or something with the first pair, because the second pair are MUCH better. The death wobble is gone. The "new" pair are only static balanced, nothing fancy, and took marginal weight. If anything changes I'll let you guys know.......
    I also have to express my VERY GOOD experience with Jess and Coker!!!!!

6. krome

krome

Here are my Coker 560s IMG_0445.JPG

7. steve bertone

steve bertone

just inspected a set of those on a 1962 t-bird,guy has been all over town trying to cure shake and vibration,i wouldnt put them on my dumpster ,egg shaped junk just like the rest of that companies radials,its one thing to con someone out of money with junk product but to jepordise their safety is un acceptable,especially when you say you're a part of the hobby of collector cars,hypocrite in my book

8. A Boner

A Boner

Basically it has been over a year since any first hand information has been posted of Coker Firestone tires.....good or bad. How about some feedback from customers that have purchased these tires in the last year. (First hand info only please.) I was starting to think their tires must be better, cause I haven't seen any bitching on the H.A.M.B. about problems. If you have any good news....let us know!

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A true radial tire is made in a segmented mold where the pie shaped opened segments of the mold move together toward the center to close the mold against the laid up bead, sidewall, belts and rubber, for curing. They can be identified by the minute rubber flash marks radially around the finished tire at intervals like a piece of pie. Look very closely.

A radial tire can also be built in a bias ply tire mold which is like a clam shell, but the tire is expanded out to the mold. This is the way the early American made radial tires were made and today some of the lower end tires from anywhere are still made in this type of mold. They can be identified by a rubber flash mark continuously around the circumference of the tire, usually in the center of the tread, sometimes down in a tread groove.

Most tire people do not know this and/or don't care.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While my American Classics in post 272 above remain rollers on my soon (I pray) to be completed roadster, several friends of mine have seen them on my car and purchased sets for their own hot rods and I have heard no complaints. My good buddy and machinist extraordinaire has them on his 5 window and loves them.

I went back threw and read a few posts on the page since I put that photo up and I saw that Bondolero made an edit on his post
    That was cool of him to do that (I give him high octane kudos) and it emphasizes the point that perhaps not all of the issues guys are experiencing are due to the tires Coker delivered to our respective doorsteps.

I buy a lot of tires for a lot of different rides, Often they are from Coker or one of their dealers and I have been pleased with the quality. Just bought 4 redwall bias plys for my new Nova project, they spun out fine on the balancer.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Patiently waiting for pitchers (on the Chevy twice grill thread).
    Or was that a Falcon grill thread.:confused:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since this old thread has come back to life. I put 5.60 15 and 8.20 15 Coker American Classics on my 32 last summer. They balanced fine, and look virtually identical to the Coker Firestone bias plys I took off. They drive and ride much nicer. I've got two sets of D backs, one on topic, one off. The OT's are a Nitto carcass, the others are BFG T/A's. They all drive well on our less than well maintained roads.

13. I have observed both mould marks you describe. eg. Michelin XZX I had years ago had the radial marks, the Cokers I have now have the mould flash around the tread centre.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Exactly.

Michelin, I believe, invented radial tires and have never made a bias ply.

15. They started in 1889, making bicycle ties, so they've been around a long time.(Sorry for the pun.) They would have made bias I'm sure, including for race cars.

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Right on, I should have said, I don't believe they ever brought bias ply here commercially. There may have been some fitted to individual cars that were imported, prior to and after WWII.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

28dreyer... I would never have guessed 81. You have definitely been 'around the block', but have retained all the youth most of us 'pursue'!
    Thanks for your input on tires, I have been in the 'biz' 60 years, all of the sound 'history' is being quelled daily!
    Nice to get it refreshed.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, you cant bust my balls from another thread! That's just wrong. :confused:

19. Flip it on him. Point out that he misspelled "pictures".;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. flow81

flow81

Hi. Bring this up again as I have a question to American Classic Bias Look Radial in size 760-R15.
    The Coker homepage states overall diameter 29.80", Summit and Speedway state 28.87".
    Does anyone know the actual diameter?
    In case Summit & Speedway are right, this would be good replacement for 710-15 Firestone bias...

Thanks!

21. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

Hey guys,
    Wanted to schow what i have got. Ordered Firestone Deluxe Champion 5,50-16. I've sent it back and got another one but asking where is qulitay controll and how does it happen that stone is molded in the tire... they are not cheap so i expected very good quality..

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Unbelievable.

V8-m likes this.
  23. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

For new tires, those sidewalls look rock hard.

Is the tire stamped where it's made? Match the geology to the stamping.

Phil

24. Crazy. Demand satisfaction !!

V8-m likes this.
  25. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

They are very soft, fresh rubber, coated with some kind of protection wax
    Stamped - Made in USA

26. That's part of the mold. Doesn't mean they're made there. Must be a lot of gravel in the place they are made.:eek:

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How can you have Firestones without the "stone"? Seriously, that is ridiculous! I stopped buying cokers because they weren't round, but that would have dont it as well. You trust your life to the tires on your car, be careful where you buy them.

mad mikey, lurker mick and V8-m like this.
  28. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

It looks from barcode 842... that they are made in Spain...anyway it schould not happen..no matter where they are made.

Attached Files:

mad mikey and Bandit Billy like this.
  29. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Agreed, but the "Made In" is often a location you'd like to believe the rules are being followed, as you said, with good quality control.
    Not stamped "Made in USA" when the molding has been farmed out to an offshore location to save some money.

Phil

30. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

Yes..it schould not be stamped (in perfect World)- made in USA if it's not realy made there...
    Anyway...i wouldn't complain if quality was good and same production standards