Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. I was able to free the axle from its duties at the front of the chassis yesterday. Hard to believe how many nuts and bolts I have collected by removing the attached running grear. This activity must be good for staying flexible and losing some weight...at least for an old guy...lol All I have to do now is contact the recipient of this jewel.... Garry\'s Axel.jpg

LOU WELLS, JUNK ROD and 36 ROKIT like this.
  2. I can't understand why there were no takers for the front cross member that I removed today. I'm glad I have a new one to take it's place...... X2.jpg

31ford39, Denns1989 and JUNK ROD like this.
  3. Made another Hot Rod Parts Run in beautiful Mn today along the North Shore of Lake Superior. Cool but beautiful. Anyway, no big deal, just picking up an E Bay item shipped to Ryden's Border Store. It was a 8 pak of Butt Welding Clamps for the two patch panels that need to be installed on the lower body. CLAMP 2.jpg

4. glrbird

glrbird

So explain to me just how bad is it, that you have to drive to another country to get stuff!! import tariffs?

5. The best part of the 80 mile trip along the North Shore of Lake Superior is the scenery. My wife and I always have enjoyed it . All of the car parts come from the USA anyway so I just have them sent to the border store and pick them up on the way back. There are no tax's or tariffs if the total amount paid for the item is under a certain amount or so it seems. GM K.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. Sort of a big day for the '32 today.....well ok, just a small big day. Today we actually started going the other way in the fact that I started fitting the new front cross member to the frame. Check the dimensions, do some tweaking, check the dimensions again, do some more tweaking, well you get the idea. It sure feels good to be at this stage of the project !!!! Going Ahead Day.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    JUNK ROD likes this.
  7. titus

titus

Sorry Ron, we ran out of time to make it over, next time up!

JEFF

Hapydz likes this.
  8. Frame Patch 1.jpg Between shoveling snow and re-aranging my little shop, not much has been accomplished . I have got one side of the rear C-notch from Posies almost finished however. I think I had to cut through 3 layers of plate that had been welded many years ago to fix the crack in the frame over the existing axle. The c-notch cleans that up. I will get back to that area in the next couple of days....unless it snows again....... Gary did come to pick up his axle the other day.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  9. The rear rails of the '32 frame have been bobbed and I want to restore them to their original cofiguration. I have the correct tails to repair them but my Wescott drawing is a little vague at the spreader bar area. I was wondering if someone might be able to direct me to a drawing that gives more detail than the drawing I have ? 32 Frame Dim.jpg

10. Many thanks to Hightower 611 here on the HAMB for this information...... 1932 ford frame dimensions.png

11. Made another Hot Rod Parts Run to Grand Marais, Mn today to pick up the front axle shackles. Now I know what length spring I have to order. Had a fresh fish lunch in a little shop right on the shores of Lake Superior. The fisherman's dock is only a couple of hundred feet away so you know that the fish is about as fresh as it could be.... I sure do love this little trip !!! GM Dec 2 1.jpg

JUNK ROD and LOU WELLS like this.
  12. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

13. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Which lake is it? Where? Just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Lake Superior.....Google it...

15. Not too much action out in the shop the last couple of weeks but I will try to remedy that very soon. What I have done was getting the rear of the frame in order with the Posie's C package and the repair pieces to the bobbed frame. Grinding those fish plates to repair the cracks in the frame over the axle was a real chunk of work !!! I will box the rear of the frame to start with so that I can install the parallel Posie's spring package. Looking forward to that ! Dec Frame sm.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. Both of us hope to see you next year! Callage 5.jpg

17. COOL PHOTO. Thanks for sharing, MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY
    NEW YEAR.

Hapydz likes this.
  18. When I look at photos from the 50's taken at our local race track, I am always amazed that my 32 managed to escape the fate of being a stock car even though some of the owners of this car were involved in the activity. Amazing ! #38 #47 edited.jpg

calonego likes this.
  19. Fortunate, indeed!
    My cousin was also one of the culprits responsible for the demise of too many early Fords on the dirt tracks.
    He would buy them for $10 -$20 a pop, every 1-3 seasons, at best.
    (The '36 3w above was too popular and rare, even then, to meet such a fate!)

Hapydz likes this.
  20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ron, just found your thread and read it all the way through. I don't think there is much cooler automotivewise than getting back a car that had been gone for ages.
    Your story is great and I'm along for the ride. Eli

Hapydz likes this.
  21. PRB

PRB
    from Az

That pic of you/you is too cool and this is a great story...thanks for sharing.

Hapydz likes this.
  22. Ron, check your PM's.

Hapydz likes this.
  23. Stay in touch ....Your name is on it....

24. I am about to start boxing the rear of the frame and need some advice regarding the body mounting bolts. What would you recommend for the nuts, caged or........ Also can anyone tell me why I can't edit my text anymore ?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  25. Finally got back out to the shop today and got the rear spreader bar fitted. Just a bit of welding on the flanges and that part is done. The rear boxing plates arrived from the "Welder Series" (www.welderseries.com) and that will be next on the list. After they are fitted and welded up the parallel rear spring package will be addressed......fun fun
    Spreadser Bar 2.jpg

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Exceptional thread.

Thank you.

Hapydz likes this.
  27. glrbird

glrbird

ryan coupe.jpg
    My Dad was also a guilty party to racing what would become sought after today.

Hapydz likes this.
  28. The following link has nothing to do with my '32 but you just have to see it.
    "1932 Ford Flathead Flyby Lake Havasu City" Be sure to crank up your volume....!!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Turnipseed, OzMerc39 and LOU WELLS like this.
  29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi happydz.Nice video.Did I detect the audio track of a Rolls Royce Merlin in there?Sweet sound for sure.P 51 Mustang or the most beautiful fighter plane ever designed.The Spitfire?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.

Low Beam and Hapydz like this.