Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My 51 Mercury project or how to ruin a perfectly good car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the man, Jan 7, 2017.

1. So after selling my 36 ford
    we picked up this 51 Mercury for my wife.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    It's actually a pretty solid rust free four-door. I'll be updating the next couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. So the first thing to do is throw away the fender skirts. And then get rid of the ugly ass headlight rings. Rolled some new ripped ones out of stainless steel. Much nicer look. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Naturally when I got the car it was mechanically terrifying. I was able to drive home and for a few days before I tore into it. Went through the motor and transmission dealt with that stupid ford TV cable. Put a fire wall mount master cylinder. The previous one was terrifying. It had zero suspension. So put a four link in the rear. I had a set of mustang to drop spindles in stock. So I made adapters to my original a arms to mount them. Replaced my drag link with a one out of a Chevelle. And made all new tire rods in steering. And then put air ride in all four corners. A frame notch and new floors. And completely rewired it. I will try to get suspension pictures shortly. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

T-roaster and wicarnut like this.
  4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

That's some scary shit!

5. [​IMG][​IMG] so now that the mechanicals are in good order it time to make it pretty. I picked up a repopped desoto grill. I still need to make a pan.

T-roaster, wicarnut and williebill like this.
  6. It just so happens a friend of mine had a 50 body in his back yard. It was beyond repair due to rust. So I made a road trip and drug it home. I got the full body and doors. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Wrench666, Spoggie, T-roaster and 3 others like this.
  7. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

What's the story with the 36 coupe body on the trailer?....for sale?

8. selling any unused parts from that merc shell?

9. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Body and doors...hmmm...2 door conversion?...any ore photos of your fabrication of the headlight rings?

10. The 36 is a friend of mines. If your seriously interested it could probably be had. Pm me

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I have the rear quarters and deck lid. And door skins. Pm me

12. Sorry no picks of the rings. But I just rolled some rings. Tipped the edges and rolled the beads. It's a lot harder than I thought. I did them 3 times.

Spoggie and Okie Pete like this.
  13. So next is to start on converting it to two-door. The two door doors I had were so rusty in bent from being picked up with a forklift they were unusable. So I lengthened my four-door doors. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]http://www.jalopyjournal.com/mobi

Sent from my iPhone using [url=https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=77983]The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/url]

14. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]. Next I started working on the quarters. Since I was chopping the car I went ahead and cut the window out and welded in the top separately. Reinforcing the B piller and leaving the dog leg for the rear door. [​IMG]

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks for posting on the HAMB. Your projects are very inspiring and interesting to follow.

mario711 and the man like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

I am subscribed and already loving this. Very good use of the donor car so far. Shame the original coupe doors got trashed but looks like you were able to salvage enough of them to stretch your doors anyway so that's good.

I have a '51 coupe I'm working on and I have a '49 rear roof section to use the window from so I'm very interested to see any and all pictures of the roof work, even if they seem mundane, please post them, it's all good info and I have enjoyed your previous builds.

I have some extra Merc shit if you're needing pieces, just let me know.

the man likes this.
  17. Good use of the donor parts, appreciate the pics and the process descriptions.

jcd58fleetside and the man like this.
  18. And next comes the chop. I took 4in out of the post which dropped the roof 3-1/4. And then took 3-3/4 out of the back. I moved the back window up into the roof 2-1/2 and stretched the catwalk 6 in. I didn't want the window to layed down. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. BigRRR, drdave, kidcampbell71 and 7 others like this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Please reconsider the skirts. The sleek body without skirts resembles a vessel with holes in her lower hull.

Late to the Party likes this.
  21. [​IMG]
    I would rather drive the car into the ocean than put skirts on it. Currently they are hanging on my back fence with all the other cast offs

BigRRR, partssaloon, zzford and 6 others like this.
  22. [​IMG]. Found some new seats. It had a seat out of a truck in it and no other interior no carpet nothing. Just a seat. And it was to tall for a chopped car. I may build a split bench seat for it. But for now buckets will work. I've done a little work so far. Had to set up in the loft. The wife wouldn't let me take over the dining room this time. [​IMG][​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, um wow. you just made a 51 Merc chop look quick and easy. Has this been easier than the '36 work? (looks a lot faster)
    Oh, and great job!
    brg

BigRRR likes this.
  24. Much easier. A merc is a pretty simple chop. It took more time to build my 36 deck lid than this chop. It's the little stuff that kills. I need to make a pan for my desoto grill. That should be a challenge. If anyone has one laying around I can use to pull a buck off of hit me up.

25. brady1929

brady1929

Wow, you are amazing.

BigRRR likes this.
  26. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Holy crap, that's a helluva lot of talent you have!

BigRRR likes this.
  27. WHOA!!!And you drove that home? I thought I was taking a chance driving the 56 Chrysler Windsor 55 miles back home after I bought it.Your a braver man then me. LOL.Glad your fixing it all. 008.JPG Bruce.

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  28. WOW, you are REALLY good!!!!Bruce.

BigRRR and chryslerfan55 like this.