Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Magnum axles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RODIST, Dec 29, 2016.

1. RODIST

RODIST

2. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

There was a factory ford axle in the classifieds that was dropped for 275.00 yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

[​IMG]
    Sorry if this isn't cool. Just trying to help a guy out. This is not my ad

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this looks like a 36 axle to me. I would get the seller to provide a measurement between the perch bosses before purchasing

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

6. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

97 - I see no inconsistency in my previous posts about Magnum. I bought a product, I read about a failure, I asked the owner (whom my wife has known for a long time) (I do not do marketing work for Magnum) about the issue. He said they had some "un-inspected" axles that he was concerned about and would either inspect mine or replace it - which he did at no cost to me (and anyone else who bought an axle in that time period). I'm saying that he stood behind his product at a huge cost to himself - not much of that attitude still around. He told me in that transaction that the one failure which started the law suits and negative publicity was not actually a Magnum product - it's just what I was told. No manufacturer, even Ford, is without some product issues.

Now, the part that pissed you off - if you will search as diligently for "real Henry" defenders as you did for my own posts you will see plenty of the type comments that make me crazy. There are many hoarders that just love to remind us peasants that they possess the rarest and greatest... It would be nice if all us working stiffs could own the (now gold) vintage Ford parts held so high by the current "restoration" hot rodders. But some of us just have to buy reproduction parts and hope to avoid the rath of "purists".

But... I was wrong to take it out on you and your comments.

loudbang and Tudor like this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

if you don't have a core, most of the axle droppers can provide one. these are old ford parts, not Duesenberg...:rolleyes:
    if you want shiny new parts that's fine, but if you cant find an early ford axle, then you sure as hell aren't looking very hard.

8. John Lawson bought Magnum back in 2013 and moved it to Fresno. Original founder (along with Ed Moss who left and started TCI) Victor Leon retired, and then in the summer of 2015 Fred James retired. his son Mike still works there.

9. And while forged axles are stronger than cast, Please remember that Ford has used cast front axles (and twin I Beams) under Everything from Rangers to F-350's from about 1980 to 97 in the small trucks and F-150 and to present day in the Super Dutys! That is Millions of trucks out there! Now granted it is not exactly the same thing but the loads these trucks will see, with so much more weight than out hot rods, proves that a properly cast part is more than adequate.
    The fact that there was one batch over one year for all the years before and since that cast I-Beams have been sold for hot rods should not taint or dismiss the use of them.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  10. Mark T

Mark T

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. toolz

toolz

Damn but I'm glad I went with a Mor-Drop...

seb fontana likes this.
  13. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I have had one of the Magnum 40 axles in my 40 delivery for over 20 years. I have more than 100k miles on it with no problems. I had an original axle that had been dropped by Mor Drop, before that. I resized the kingpin bores twice on it when I decided I needed a new axle. I have also seen Mor Drop axles with the kingpin bores broken out. While the forged axles will flex more without breaking, there are literally thousands of cast axles on hot rods on the road, many for many years and lots of miles.

mad mikey, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  14. Mark T

Mark T

He did a '33-'34 axle for me but I know he drops '40 axles.

Here is a link to his instagram page, he posted a picture of '39 axle he dropped a few days ago.
    https://www.instagram.com/kohlerkustom/

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

tough to get much drop on a stock 40 axle, there is only 3 inches of length between the perch boss and the hole for the king pin lock...

16. You sure about that? My information shows they are forged along with the radius rods as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike and 117harv like this.
  17. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Weedburner
    I'd sure like to see a picture of a More Drop axle with the king pin holes broken out?
    Otherwise, it never happened.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Pics, or it didn't happen.

Old man Marty knew what he was doing. I tried to get him to teach me before he passed, but he was not having it.

I cried every day I went past his shop and saw it being parted out for scrap.

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi guys, thanks @trey32 and @Mark T for the plugs!

I do drop all 28-48 axles here at my shop. It is true that dropping a 37-48 axle much more than 2" and keeping it looking nice can be a challenge. But to be honest, I don't reccomend dropping 32-36 axles more than 2.375" over stock either. Thankfully, Fat fender fords respond well to other small mods to lower the front end so it is still a viable path for a low front end. A 2" dropped axle with a reverse eye, dearched Spring will easily net over 4" of lowering beyond stock. Adding some longer shackles and a simple Panhard bar will get you in the 6" territory pretty easily and still ride and handle great.

Here are a couple 37-40 I've dropped 2" recently.

Andy

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg And a few other earlier axles too...

loudbang, 117harv, Hitchhiker and 2 others like this.
  21. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

My last comment on this thread:
    With your (collective) safety in mind,
    why would anyone ever put a cast axle under
    a car at all?
    Some here extol the virtues of cast axles.
    It would only take ONE failure to change
    your life forever.
    Jim
    BTW, Andy
    Thanks for the pics. You do great work.

thunderbirdesq, Hitchhiker and Hombre like this.
  22. Why? The same reason they can sell 50/50 antifreeze at nearly the same price. Everybody is lazy and manufacturing and catering to lazy sells more than sex sells. Since they are lazy they also are just cheap enough to want something they perceive as value.
    Most after market axles are shiny and new, lots of them are dropped and narrowed too righ out of the box. And it's $100 more for chrome !! But most are made of cast iron.

Take the 80 some odd year old Henry forged axle, drop it, narrow it, chrome it. Lots of work and time and that's not convenient for the lazy. You can pay to have it done and that's neither inexpensive or convenient for the cheap and lazy especially if they have to ship it. 1 call to 1-800 hotrods and it gets put right into their lazy hands.

55willys, Hitchhiker and Hombre like this.
  23. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Jimmy and gimpy, the broken axle was shown to me probably 40 years ago by Gene Scott, one of the first after market parts suppliers. He started PSI Industries and Antique Auto in Rosemead,CA.

24. adam401

adam401

When this type of thread pops up its interesting to hear the different opinions responses etc. I believe in early Ford parts. I've read a couple Henry Ford biographies and a few excerpts detailing his business philosophy. Henry didn't believe in planned obsolesence. Henry Ford was very interested in metalergy and quality even though he was a cheapskate. By all accounts he wanted these cars to last. We're still messing with them on a large scale so there's something to it.

Ford forged axles are durable. I've dropped a few myself (pics on my profile albums) and have seen a few early hand dropped efforts, some of which are on friends cars. Those axles don't split, crack whatever under driving conditions. Horrific accident maybe, but I've seen axles bent damn near 45 degrees in farm fields and scrap piles unbroken.

I've never had a cast axle and have no feelings either way about them. I'm glad there are guys producing parts for this hobby and making a living doing it. That doesn't stop me from wondering why anyone would not buy an original axle and modify to suite their needs. I have a tiny budget for this stuff and I buy axles at reasonable prices. If anything they've gone down in price in the past year. The cost of having an axle dropped or gearing up to do it yourself is nothing in the grand scheme of the cost of a ground up build.

But as far as the op's question? Don't know sorry haha. Pad that post count

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think a lot of the confusion here is the age old thing of people confusing total drop with how much the axle has been dropped beyond stock. When I say "the axle is dropped 4", I am referring to total drop, including the original drop. So a '37-'40 axle starts out at about 2" drop, to get it to 4", you drop the axle another 2". When you buy a Magnum axle, and they say its a "4 inch dropped axle" pretty sure they mean the same thing, total drop, right?

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you personally see the Mor-Drop stamp on that axle, or were you just told that it was a Mor-Drop?

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Don't the bones on the earlier axles prevent you from getting as much drop compared to a 37-41 axle?

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yes you are correct. You could probably drop a model a axle 4" over stock but I bet it would be pretty stringy looking and probably not of much use on a car. I like to go about 3.25" max on them. Anything 32 and up , forget it, you'll wreck the axle.

Looks like a nice drop! @adam401

adam401 and falcongeorge like this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think '32/'35 have the most factory drop, 2.25" from the factory? So even if you pull the Model A axle 3.25", it will have about as much total drop as a '32/'35 that's dropped 2"?

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just measured my stock axle and my Magnum axle and the Magnum has 3 inches more drop than my stock axle