Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. lukey

lukey

Anything new, craving some kustoms!!!

2. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I don't know if this fits here but I think it is one of the icest cars around here. This was taken at a car show in Cairo, Ga. in 2015. Does anyone know the car?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigO, 2many projects and Dave Mc like this.
  3. Mags, fog lights, visor...etc. More gook wagon than anything else. Nothing about it says 'old style custom' to me.

4. I think a change of wheels and "caps" would fix that. Perhaps the cliche - sombreros and 4" whitewalls.. The lakers are a bit new for this thread as well - but that's just a few bolts.

Dave

5. Slopok

Slopok

Did anyone EVER customize a Nash back then??? I think not!

X38, chopper99 and Late to the Party like this.
  6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0988.JPG IMG_0990.JPG
    posted my 48 awhile back , but with skirts on this time

Smiffy, razorback, mgtstumpy and 8 others like this.
  7. Rikster

Rikster

Not the same model.... but this very nicely Custom Convertible was done in the very early 1950's.
    [​IMG]

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They customized every thing back then. I bought a full collection of the little pages magazines from the 50`s. It surprised me to see all the customized Henry J`s, Studebakers and Corvairs. Nothing was off limits back then. 4 doors were very common too.

9. Slopok

Slopok

I always thought that it became popular when the dare to be different craze took place which was much later than the time frame of this thread.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I agree with Stanlow69. Anything was fair game (Hudson 4dr, Studebaker convertible, etc), but I'm sure the magazine editors sought out the oddities for the sake of variety. I rarely, if ever, saw anything like those on the street.

11. Squablow

Squablow

The fact that it's a 4 door Nash shouldn't exclude the car pictured above, but the fact that it is customized in a way that is not even close to 48-52 historically correct should exclude it from this thread.

12. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

I think my Zephyr fits in this thread pretty good. I have always planned to build it as a late 40s - early 50s mild custom and have achieved my goal so far. Runs a Flathead V8 on the original zephyr box, period stance and just a few subtle custom tricks. ( radiused door corners, altered rear pan and fenders to match the curve of the bumper, no drip rails etc ).
    Still work in progress, I want to fit some period hubcaps as soon as some 15" ones turn up at the right price,some spot lights would be nice, still got to finish the bumpers and get them chromed and plan a full interior job in either tan or oxblood leather/vinyl . Pendine 2016 4.jpg Pendine 13.jpg

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I know it`s off topic, but here`s a rambler from Motor Trend in 1955. Scan0175.jpg

14. Paul, yer Zephyr came out perfect!!!

Wensum Valley Rods likes this.
  15. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

It's a long way from perfect, but it will do for now. I'm still enjoying driving it around and slowly finishing and altering bits. When I have got it all sorted then I will blast it apart again and prep it and spray it properly. Then it will be nice. :)

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  16. I'll bring this thread back up by posting a pic of the Merc all done:
    IMG_3675.jpg

Dave

17. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Love that color!

18. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Wow! It's gorgeous - I hope I get to see it in real life sometime in the future

19. Nice. REALLY REALLY NICE!

koolkemp and rodncustomdreams like this.
  20. Thanks for all the nice compliments fellas! Dan, I hope you get to see it sometime too because I'd love to see any image you may take of the Merc - (your photos are far, far nicer than my cell phone stuff)!

Dave

21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Lovely! Can we get more shots (or a link to a build thread)?

22. No (re)build thread ..yet. But I do have pics!
    IMG_3014 copy.jpg

ClubBBQ_Stoon16 copy.jpg

BackLaneMerc.jpg

Dave

Gambler 1962, Lines, LBCD and 10 others like this.
  23. Not trying to offend anyone on this page cause it's great! Just some info on So Cal in the 50's If you drove a Mopar or Nash it was seen as a joke or as a drug dealer car because the Cops would never stop them because they were too slow to bother with. There were a few exceptions 46 to 48 Plymouth were ok if customized. Renaults were super stealth, even better than a Mopar or Nash for smuggling. There are some nice Mopars on this page, no dig intended, just history for what it's worth from So Cal in the 50's. HAHAhahah!!!! JW

24. Not trying to offend anyone on this page cause it's great! Just some info on So Cal in the 50's If you drove a Mopar or Nash it was seen as a joke or as a drug dealer car because the Cops would never stop them because they were too slow to bother with. There were a few exceptions 46 to 48 Plymouth were ok if customized. Renaults were super stealth, even better than a Mopar or Nash for smuggling. There are some nice Mopars on this page, no dig intended, just history for what it's worth from So Cal in the 50's. HAHAhahah!!!! JW

25. Not trying to offend anyone on this page cause it's great! Just some info on So Cal in the 50's If you drove a Mopar or Nash it was seen as a joke or as a drug dealer car because the Cops would never stop them because they were too slow to bother with. There were a few exceptions 46 to 48 Plymouth were ok if customized. Renaults were super stealth, even better than a Mopar or Nash for smuggling. There are some nice Mopars on this page, no dig intended, just history for what it's worth from So Cal in the 50's. HAHAhahah!!!! JW

26. Here is some pics of one of my customer's cars built early style. No parts later than '52 Started by Leadsled52 and updated by us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  27. John, what are those tail lights off of?

28. 1951 Kaiser, Dave. I love how they flow.

29. a wonderful Chevy, well done, boys!

30. LOUIELOUIE

LOUIELOUIE

Ill be finally getting my hands on this one next week. Plans are to make it a late 40s Dragger. Something along the lines of the Marcia Campbell ,Lopez and Paul Garland Coupes. Im chasing some Appleton 112s and an Eastern Auto supply chrome 41 dash if anyone has some they would like to part with. 41 2.JPG

LBCD and rodncustomdreams like this.