Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***January 2017 Banger Meet - Happy New Banger Year***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Fink, welcome to H.A.M.B. Stock rear end will handle any power that the described engine set up will make. Rear end ratios should be considered and that depends on how the car (truck) will be driven. A stock transmission will work with the power your OHV set up will make, no synchronizers though. A lightened flywheel and V8 clutch will make it more drivable.
    Your enthusiasm set aside, go read the rules of the Board here, make an introduction and complete your profile.
    Bangers are cool and OHV ones are fun and remember if you can go fast you need to stop too.

Dannerr likes this.
  2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Just got my SOSS magazine and it appears that Charlie Yapp is considering the sale of the 4 banger speed equipment business. www.secretsofspeed.com

Outback likes this.
  3. Happy Holidays at Westside Auto Parts (a San Luis Obispo speed shop)[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Dannerr, Jeff34, burl and 3 others like this.
  4. As to running stock model a rear end with increased power and torque a problem can and will occur. The model A ring gear will and does flex away from the pinion when accelerating. Of course this depends on other factors such as traction weight of vehicle etc etc. as the ring gear flexes away the pinion try's to climb the ring gear and that is when sh-t happens. Ford came up with an outboard bearing in the early V8 which supports the pinion. Racers and eventually Halibrand started using snubbers which keeps the ring gear from flexing away. Model A rear ends were popular with racers because of all of the ratios offered by Getz and others. I have seen them under cars with S

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  5. Small block chevys.. We broke them with stock engines when I was a kid. Probably worn out when we started dumping the clutch trying to get a little rubber. If I have to explain getting a little rubber you are pretty young and probably should stay on the sidewalk !

6. Art Chrisman's famous dragster ran a model A rear end but it is a light car.

Dannerr and hotrodA like this.
  7. Somewhere in the past, there was a tech on installing a brass snubber through the bell of the axle housing to keep the ring gear from flexing. Seems like it was simply a length of thick wall tubing welded in, threaded, with a brass bolt screwed in against the ring gear.

Dannerr likes this.
  8. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

There was pretty sure Bill posted his and this has been since the early days by everyone from speedway guys to drag guys so there are a few way to get it done

Dannerr likes this.

9. Don't you need antenna to communicate with the Aliens? And crystals?

10. 97

Dannerr likes this.
  11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

wish I had know that a week ago

12. Nice photo Bluto, you are looking good but not quite as good as your Polish Princess !!

13. When I install a snubber I place it so it makes contact at a point after center of contact area of pinion and ring gear with about .003 to .005 clearance. The late Vic King was very knowledgeable about rear ends, he also told me of an axle modification they did on his dragster the "Midnight Oil".

Dannerr likes this.
  14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

That photo doesn't show the points on top of our hats.....

Thank you Bill but I never looked good even when I was young I looked old

And Zofia never looks bad..... The hats were her idea.....

-15 today

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

havin fun in poland

16. What have you done, @V4F?

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

17. Could you explain, what you mean by "after center of contact area"?
    What was that modification, he had done to the axle in his dragster?

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

What have you done, @V4F?
    just had the rear end apart & could have made one (snubber)

Dannerr likes this.
  19. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Suffered a compuker meltdown over the Holidays, had to buy a new one. Trying to get all my watched forums back has been a challenge and a half. Still missing the airplane engined cars one, can't find the danged thing. Also the specials, and MrT's. Lost all my posts and other stuff--Bugger!

People over 80 shouldn't be allowed to play with 'puters!

Herb

20. noboD

noboD

I thought you were 39?

Jiminy likes this.
  21. I meant after the center line of pinion/ring gear contact. Vic told me that he discussed his axle breakage problem with a mechanical engineer and was told that if he, or, they machined the axle so that it gently tapered to the center of the axle it would act as a torsion bar and flex and spring back after high stress instead of breaking. He, Vic said that it solved his axle problem, anyway that is what he said. I haven't tried this as axle breakage is not a problem on my car, snubber is probably overkill cause the car is light but I have suffered pinion pyorrhea in the past. My Halibrand quick change has been welded a few times so I didn't want to take a chance. I will try to post more photos on the installation of the snubber in the next few days.

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Geeeez! You guys are OLD!!!

Old Dawg likes this.
  23. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Herb i think that thread is titled aero-engine vintage racers. May be engined instead of engine. Hope that helps.

24. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Engined---I was eliminating the hyphen

Thanks, Joe

25. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

You're welcome Herb.

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Herb

It's good to be hyphen less:)

27. #1layout.jpg #2 snubber.jpg #3.jpg #4 drill.jpg #5 .jpg #6finished.jpg Snubber my way,
    First is layout for hole, I try to locate in center of back of ring gear and slightly above center of pinion engagement area.
    Second is snubber made from BRONZE not brass, brass is not a suitable bearing material for this use or actually of any use for bearings in my world!
    Third is snubber threaded sleeve holding fixture. Any piece of material long enough to lay across and drilled straight will do. You adjust depth of sleeve into axle housing with bolt of same size as snubber.
    Fourth is how we drilled hole. Bolt thru sleeve holding fixture should hold sleeve perpendicular to ring gear.
    Fifth is sleeve locating fixture in place.
    Sixth is finished snubber in place

28. Can anyone point me to information on using overdrive gears in a 32 banger transmission? I remember reading that 39 gears fit (kinda), but wanted to print the instructions.

29. I have a comment on your transmission question. It is that there are no overdrive gears that go into those gear boxes, all are 1 to 1 in high or 3rd gear. If you don't get an answer here try on the early V8 forum. I believe you need to swap or modify the forks.