Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are you able to Drive your hot rod or Custom year round?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 5, 2017.

1. I drove the wagon to the shop today and a gentleman from Canada who is visiting with some friends stopped in Brenda's shop and ask about the car.

1954_Ford_Wagon_001_t607-vi.jpg

I was working on installing some new shelving and was called to the front,the gentleman,Rick said he stopped when he saw the old car and ask if there were any clubs here,he said his friends had some cars but they are still in Canada were they were already in storage for the winter and he causally ask me when do we winterize and put our cars in storage here in South Carolina,My reply was I don't know anyone that does.

With the exception of those rare snow days or severe storms you might see a hot rod or custom everyday of the week..He seemed like he didn't really believe me.

I explained that our winters are relatively mild and other than getting really cold we can use our old cars every week during the winter.

So now the question,do you live in a part of the country,or the world for that matter,that you can use your hot rod or custom year round? HRP

wicarnut and Jose perez like this.
  2. RHunt

RHunt

i don't winterize my car, so i do take it out when i can. sometimes once a week, some years once all winter. although up here in Massachusetts you never know what the weather will be like. in the teens this morning, but the roads were dry, so i will have a chilly, but nice cruise home from work.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Drove mine till Dec. 8 . They started putting salt brine on the roads, so I haven't had it out since then. I live in Iowa.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Even here in Western South Dakota we can and do drive year round. Right now we are in a cold snap and the roads are sloppy with mag-water. But in a few days it will be nice again. Spottted my distant neighbor in his 56 wagon yesterday morning and saw a 46 Tudor at Menards on Sunday................it was 3 degrees!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. I live on the edge of a rain Forrest, next to a river, about a quarter mile from the sea.
    It rains a lot, but no snow.
    So I can drive all year round.
    Here's a pic of my little southern hemisphere town. images (1).jpg

6. Ready for some visitors? After seeing that picture of your hometown I'm ready to drop by.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. j3harleys and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

In SO Cal, we can drive pretty much year round.

Blues4U and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Blues4U, HOTRODPRIMER and LOU WELLS like this.
  10. Beautiful......and I'm betting you don't have the crazy crime, which has become so popular here.

kiwijeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. I can drive all year round here, coldest winter temp would be around 36F at night, no snow, and the only salt we get here is on our fish & chips. I don't get a kick out of driving in the heat though, no A/C in any of my cars, hot sticky vinyl seats, heat running in the "Is she gonna blow?" range, can't grab the steering wheel unless it has been covered, etc.
    Today's forecast is for a mild 106 degrees F, so I think the cars can stay in the barn today.
    (Cold beer under a shady tree for me )

KKrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Pretty much drive year round here in western North Carolina, BUT, in the winter months, we may have to roll up the windows.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Pretty much. I have only been caught in rain weather a couple times in my coupe (don't like driving it in the rain for handling reasons but especially because there is so much chrome below and no fender wells so major cleanup when driven thru muddy puddles), but it doesn't rain much in Kalifornia. I haven't driven this for several years because it blew out a freeze plug in the hemi and I haven't gotten around to replacing it with screw-in type. Otherwise it was my daily driver for about 10 years. P5220021.JPG

14. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I can only drive my little Oldsmobile Bucket roadster when it's nice out....as it's pretty squirrely in the rain & snow anyways! Alas, my other car projects are still up on jack-stands!...............so in winter I drive a beat-up, old red 61' Willys cj5, which has a nice heater and could literally climb a tree.........hopefully by next winter I should have my 41' Ford pickup on the road for all-year needs (fingers crossed).

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. jim snow

jim snow

At the beach in South Carolina any day. Snowman

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. upspirate

upspirate

I had my '29 roadster, '34 Dodge 4 dr and '36 Chevy truck for everyday drivers from '85 til '93. Had heat in the 29 & 36 (my blood's thinned out here !!LOL) would have put it in the 34 if it hadn't got wrecked.
    A/C in the '34 and the '36.
    My fenderless '27 roadster was only caught in the rain once by my wife , and I had a tonneau cover that I could open only half way to drive in those chilly days

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. metalman

metalman

Year round here, maybe a little snow a couple times a year but it rarely last more then a day. Wouldn't know it, hardly ever see a hot rod out in the winter, very few of us die hards around here. Many times over the years old cars were year around for me, rain, snow, didn't matter it's all I owned!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Not a chance! I'm lucky to get a solid 5 months...especially with no roof or heater.
    From November to April I can guarantee the roads will be white with salt and any water will be liquid brine.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

In NY there isn't any chance to drive in the winter unless you want to be driving a screen door in a few years because of the heavy use of salt here but when I lived in Wyoming they only used gravel on the roads in the winter so I would be comfortable driving a beater that I didn't care about stone chips in but no way would I have drove a nice car.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. LAROKE

LAROKE

It's why I live in South Florida. The '37 doesn't even have a heater.

greasemonkey54 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Special Ed

Special Ed

My newest vehicle is over fifty years old, so.... yeah.
    It helps to live in a town that's moniker is "climatic wonderland", too.
    Our car club had it's annual cruise over to the pier on New Year's Day morning, for breakfast ...
    That's Dean Lowe's RPU in the background, and the mighty blue Pacific just to the left. I think it was pretty close to 70 degrees here on January 1st.
    [​IMG]

22. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I live outside Denver, Colorado. I drove my Studebaker into town last night, on lightly snow-covered roads. When I got home I looked at the thermometer: 2 degrees below zero. I guess that was a good test of the heater and defroster motors I had just rebuilt!

For my part, I don't like the scene at car shows much, so I build all my cars as daily drivers, with liberal applications of undercoating. I don't typically drive them in the slushy conditions that occur after the DOT sends out their snowplows to spread salt and gravel, but I drive them year round otherwise. I live three miles off the pavement, so the rear quarters are always covered in dust by the time I reach the pavement anyway, even if I just washed the car.

I did the same when I lived in Wyoming. In the Rockies, we are known for snowy winters, but in truth, most days the roads are completely clear, even in winter. If your heater works, why not go drive the car?

CLick the picture to zoom in and see a thick coating of dirty ice on the front of the car. Granted, the Volvo gets that treatment more often than the Studebaker, but it's just a part of life for a daily driver around here.

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. ken bogren

ken bogren

Yup! I can drive my Falcon ... but only about 7 feet before I hit the garage wall.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

In Kentucky its not the cold thats an issue its the salt they use on the roads. If 2" of snow is forecasted they put out 4" of salt. You then have to wait for the temperature to rise and have a good rain to wash the salt away before you can drive. Fortunately they don't put gravel on our roads. Can't imagine what that would do to your paint job. About all I do to winterize is add Stabil.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Usually you can here, but not this year, I am 56 years old, and I would rate this in the top (bottom?) 3 for the winters I have seen in my entire life. 1967, 2009, and this one.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. wicarnut

wicarnut

Here in the great Northwoods of Wisconsin, usually stops late October and starts up late March, we need a few good rains in spring to wash salt from roads and yes I winterize all of my cars, (all cars in a garage) last night -10, +1 for high today. I do go out in early March, weather, roads permitting, so I can say, drove it on my birthday. 7/8 months is the norm for using my hobby cars, very similar to when I lived in Milwaukee suburbs all those years. Snowbird concept growing stronger every year.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

You are too far north.....down here we have global warming.....well a few years ago we did, now we have climate change. This winter we are having a cold one, but hopefully next year it will change to a warm one.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. HRP,...what's your temp range where you live thru the Winter?...say, Dec. thru Feb?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

nice day today to troubleshoot the automatic temp control system in the old luxury car.

I had the Chevy II out a couple days ago to run some errands. Planning on taking it racing in Tucson next weekend at the Roadkill event.

It never ends...we do try to avoid having car shows around here in the may-august season, though.

30. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

As I type this it is lightly snowing out.
    About the middle of November the weather took a weird turn, nice one day nasty cold the next.
    The roads would be brined and I accepted the fact that it was time to put their pajamas on and hook up the life support to the batteries.
    At my age the days and weeks seem to fly by, so spring is only a "blink" away.
    Soon I will be "terrorizing" the streets of Central Ohio again!
    KK